Any Ideas for a 1500 USD Gaming/Workstation Build? Slightly Worried

Oh well thats nice to know. I mean the difference between 980 and 780 or 970.

how does 780 compare to 980 in cuda?

Idk, seems like everyone is recommending a Z97 i7 with a single 980 actually. Lol 

i still prefer annaliations build

but if youre dying to go X99, then this will be fine. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CY8GdC

from here on out you wont see any huge improvements in productivity or gaming. you've sorta capped out for 1080p. now it comes down to preference and how much youre willing to spend.

Well be honest here, do you THINK the X99 rendering times and possible future uses are enough to purchase it or no? 

...Eh kinda thinking a single 980 might be fine now that I think about it if i go with the Z97 i7. 

Like I said though, I'll be purchasing a higher res monitor in the future. 

IMPORTANT EDIT: AGH! HOW'D I FORGET TO TELL YOU ALL!? I ALREADY HAVE 12GB OF DDR3 FROM A PREVIOUS BUILD. SO ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS ADD A 4GB STICK FOR A TOTAL OF 16GB RUNNING AT 1600MHZ (USE THE NON-HEAT SPREADER GREEN RAM STICKS SO IT MATCHES THE OTHER ONES I CURRENTLY OWN). 

Need the timings for the memory. Even matching those it is possible that memory will not run dual channel, particularly the two mismatched modules. It is even possible that memory will not run at DDR3-1600. You could simply stay with 12GB, 2x4GB should run dual channel and the odd 1x4GB module will run single channel.

Well the rendering would certainly be faster lol. I'm sure if I learned about the hardware more I can find uses for it. 

.....Maybeh..... *insert Fry drooling meme* 

CPU based rendering would certainly be faster on X99. Some editing tasks would also be faster. However gaming would not be quite as good as on Z97, although the gpu is more likely to be the limiting factor. It would be better, in my opinion, to stay with Z97 and put the difference in cost into more gpu, memory, and ssd resources.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Need the timings for the memory. Even matching those it is possible that memory will not run dual channel, particularly the two mismatched modules. It is even possible that memory will not run at DDR3-1600. You could simply stay with 12GB, 2x4GB should run dual channel and the odd 1x4GB module will run single channel.

CPU based rendering would certainly be faster on X99. Some editing tasks would also be faster. However gaming would not be quite as good as on Z97, although the gpu is more likely to be the limiting factor. It would be better, in my opinion, to stay with Z97 and put the difference in cost into more gpu, memory, and ssd resources.

I believe it's the ADATA Premier Pro 1600Mhz series of sticks. I don't know what they are, but if you could tell me I'd appreciate it. 

Hmm...you make a good point. Honestly, I was originally going to go with a Xeon build and save another 50 dollars off the CPU because it's pretty much an i7 and just turn up the base clock a bit for a slight "overclock." 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lp8VLk That was my original idea. 

that's fine as well. the xeon act like an i7 in rendering and a lower i5 in gaming which is perfect actually

It's honestly only like at most 5 frames less...lol 

EDIT: Actually to fix that, a 780 Ti or 980 would be great for it. 

Here is a beast of a working editor / gamer  ... guaranteed rock solid core components

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PKLGdC

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cyBCMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cyBCMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) ... 8 Threads and able to OC well multitask demon of a CPU
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($93.98 @ OutletPC)  ............... outstanding air cooler for quiet cooling ... can handle fairly high OCs and is tall enough to use with tall heat spreaders on ram
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($187.99 @ Newegg) ....... awesome mobo with 12 phase power design to OC exceptionally well
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg) ... fast 1866Mhz CL9 1.5v ram that meets Haswell refresh requirements
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.81 @ Amazon) ............................ Fast and dependable SSD primary drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)  .. Storage drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)  .. Backup drive ... don't lose you work because you didn't back it up
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($389.99 @ Newegg)  ..... old school brute force GPU 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)   ... very quiet case with good dust filtration
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz) Awesome PSU very easy cable management
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($10.99 @ Newegg)  .......................... place as front intake
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-120-BK 66.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($4.99 @ NCIX US) ......................  place as bottom intake
Total: $1492.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 01:43 EDT-0400
UPGRADE-ABILITY ... adding a second GPU would require a larger PSU
OPTIONAL CONFIGURATION .... Dual GTX 970s
If I could afford it ... I would build this for myself ... :)

Here is a beast of a working editor / gamer  ... guaranteed rock solid core components

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PKLGdC

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cyBCMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cyBCMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) ... 8 Threads and able to OC well multitask demon of a CPU
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($93.98 @ OutletPC)  ............... outstanding air cooler for quiet cooling ... can handle fairly high OCs and is tall enough to use with tall heat spreaders on ram
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($187.99 @ Newegg) ....... awesome mobo with 12 phase power design to OC exceptionally well
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($174.99 @ Newegg) ... fast 1866Mhz CL9 1.5v ram that meets Haswell refresh requirements
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($79.81 @ Amazon) ............................ Fast and dependable SSD primary drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)  .. Storage drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.98 @ OutletPC)  .. Backup drive ... don't lose you work because you didn't back it up
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($389.99 @ Newegg)  ..... old school brute force GPU 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)   ... very quiet case with good dust filtration
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($81.99 @ SuperBiiz) Awesome PSU very easy cable management
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-140 66.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($10.99 @ Newegg)  .......................... place as front intake
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-120-BK 66.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($4.99 @ NCIX US) ......................  place as bottom intake
Total: $1492.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-26 01:43 EDT-0400
UPGRADE-ABILITY ... adding a second GPU would require a larger PSU
OPTIONAL CONFIGURATION .... Dual GTX 970s
If I could afford it ... I would build this for myself ... :)

Hmmm...Interesting. I'm liking this one. 

Like I've said. I'd love to go 900 series, but I'm getting tired of waiting for them to be in stock. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Lp8VLk How'd you feel about this build then? (again, GPU is uncertain due to 900 series constantly being out of stock). 

Unless you are in a rush, wait for a 900 series gpu. Supply issues should clear up fairly soon and they are much better gpu.

The build is decent. I would suggest not getting the memory module - stick with the 12GB you have. And, get a small capacity psu. 850W is really too much for a GTX 970 build.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Unless you are in a rush, wait for a 900 series gpu. Supply issues should clear up fairly soon and they are much better gpu.

The build is decent. I would suggest not getting the memory module - stick with the 12GB you have. And, get a small capacity psu. 850W is really too much for a GTX 970 build.

I changed it awhile ago, but I only put it at 850 for future possibilities, not to mention the EVGA 850w G2 is highly praised. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($93.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($146.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.97 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1395.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-27 23:01 EDT-0400

Mixing RAM es no good.