Overclocking, is there a BIG/HUGE benefit?

Some of the comments say you need to be close to one (not sure about the distance), one said he picked his part up at the store, another says it can be done online but it depends on the rep you get, some say it's some weird rebate thing. Sounds confusing.

Also I do believe I checked this a month or 2 after that reddit post. I think I actually remember someone else showing me this can't remember off the top of my head.

4930k and a R9 290x

Imma call bullshit then. Lol Stop running so many damn mods then.

Whatever you say man....

Once you start modding textures, shadows and especially grass your going to drop alot of frames since there CPU threaded I believe

Whatever you say man....

Once you start modding textures, shadows and especially grass your going to drop alot of frames since there CPU threaded I believe

I don't know what you're talking about. I think you've got too many damn mods on because you're making it sound like they're taxing your system. Which they shouldn't be. 

Is overclocking truly worth saving the like what? 5 minutes of rendering time and maybe a couple more frames in SOME games? 

What do you guys think? 

EDIT: TECHNICALLY SPEAKING...you CAN OC a Xeon, it's just a tad more tricky. Linus showed this off in one of his videos. 

1-10 frames, no, unless you're talking about your lowest frame count and it's below 60fps, then I would say 41fps vs 48-50fps is worth it. If you're nitpicking over highest 111fps vs 120fps on a 60hz monitor it doesn't matter at all.

For rendering times it depends entirely on how much rendering/encoding you do. I run multiple batch encoding sessions per week (roughly 12-36 3GB+ video files) and that time adds up quickly. I also use CUDA acceleration so I don't take that much of a performance hit from non-OC, but it's still significant enough for my situation.

If you're really interested in OC vs. Non-OC encoding passes I can run some batches with CUDA off and OC on/off and post up the total times.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

1-10 frames, no, unless you're talking about your lowest frame count and it's below 60fps, then I would say 41fps vs 48-50fps is worth it. If you're nitpicking over highest 111fps vs 120fps on a 60hz monitor it doesn't matter at all.

For rendering times it depends entirely on how much rendering/encoding you do. I run multiple batch encoding sessions per week (roughly 12-36 3GB+ video files) and that time adds up quickly. I also use CUDA acceleration so I don't take that much of a performance hit from non-OC, but it's still significant enough for my situation.

If you're really interested in OC vs. Non-OC encoding passes I can run some batches with CUDA off and OC on/off and post up the total times.

Nah you don't gotta, I'm pretty much set with my E3 Xeon build now. 

Nah you don't gotta, I'm pretty much set with my E3 Xeon build now. 

Maybe I'll still do it for an academic adventure....although Civ BE has had me fairly preoccupied since Friday...I wish every game came out on Thur/Fri :mellow:

Good luck with the Xeon!

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Maybe I'll still do it for an academic adventure....although Civ BE has had me fairly preoccupied since Friday...I wish every game came out on Thur/Fri :mellow:

Good luck with the Xeon!

I wish more AAA titles came out on Fri/Sat/Sun. :( 

I wish more AAA titles came out on Fri/Sat/Sun. :(

It would be nice, although then I'm fairly confident the internet would be ablaze with QQ's about server stability, which inevitably occurs every Wednesday lol

I don't know what you're talking about. I think you've got too many damn mods on because you're making it sound like they're taxing your system. Which they shouldn't be.

Taxing is good. Besides it's only at 4.2... Wanna push it to 4.8

Taxing is good. Besides it's only at 4.2... Wanna push it to 4.8

Have fun killing your system by taxing it...other than that, I wish you luck on that 4.8Ghz. 

yes, it's quite huge. for me personally (gaming), i'd rather use i7 than xeon because it can handle higher frequency than xeon (unlocked). but if i'm doing some heavy multi-thread application such as content creation or so, maybe i'l stick with more core and threads available. (i7 extreme or xeon)

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

Heavier Video work (2-3x 25m video's with filters and mass edits) every two days and my i7 Sandy Bitch<-She died recently :) @ 4.8Ghz was a BIG/HUGE improvement over the Stock clock performance result.

Gaming, little better, nowhere near as good as the Encoding differences.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

yes, it's quite huge. for me personally (gaming), i'd rather use i7 than xeon because it can handle higher frequency than xeon (unlocked). but if i'm doing some heavy multi-thread application such as content creation or so, maybe i'l stick with more core and threads available. (i7 extreme or xeon)

The E3 Xeon 1246 v3 is an i7 that isn't OC'able. It still renders videos like a charm and works on Z97. It is also 50 DOLLARS CHEAPER than an i7. 

Heavier Video work (2-3x 25m video's with filters and mass edits) every two days and my i7 Sandy Bitch<-She died recently :) @ 4.8Ghz was a BIG/HUGE improvement over the Stock clock performance result.

Gaming, little better, nowhere near as good as the Encoding differences.

4.8Ghz isn't a certain on all chips. The E3 Xeon 1246 v3 is a i7 for 50 dollars cheaper, lower overall power draw, and beats the i5 and 8350 in nearly every/all tasks. The i5 slightly wins by roughly 5 FPS in SOME games. 

4.8Ghz isn't a certain on all chips. The E3 Xeon 1246 v3 is a i7 for 50 dollars cheaper, lower overall power draw, and beats the i5 and 8350 in nearly every/all tasks. The i5 slightly wins by roughly 5 FPS in SOME games. 

Granted, I know that, stating my personal experience :)

'@The time' when Sandy bridge was the highest thing available (No Ivy or Haswell) it WAS pretty common for chips to get to 4.5Ghz+ with ease, the four I saw in real life (friends pc's) all had 4.5Ghz or more.

Not certain...but almost certain, which is why I got onto Intel at that point after being AMD driven for years

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Granted, I know that, stating my personal experience :)

'@The time' when Sandy bridge was the highest thing available (No Ivy or Haswell) it WAS pretty common for chips to get to 4.5Ghz+ with ease, the four I saw in real life (friends pc's) all had 4.5Ghz or more.

Not certain...but almost certain, which is why I got onto Intel at that point after being AMD driven for years

Ok then just making sure. Cause some people like to try and then state opinions (and treat them as fact) and try and convince me to get the i7 when it's not necessarily needed. 

The E3 Xeon 1246 v3 is an i7 that isn't OC'able. It still renders videos like a charm and works on Z97. It is also 50 DOLLARS CHEAPER than an i7. 

yeah, 3.5 GHz on 4 thread HT is not bad either. is 1246 v3 is the same architecture with i7 haswell-r?  :huh:

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

Ok then just making sure. Cause some people like to try and then state opinions (and treat them as fact) and try and convince me to get the i7 when it's not necessarily needed. 

Oh no, I wouldn't do that, I'd ask if your Primary focus was Gaming i5 or Video Encoding work for the i7 (and if you didn't know that) then yeah,tells me most should suffice with a lesser processor than an i7.

yeah, 3.5 GHz on 4 thread HT is not bad either. is 1246 v3 is the same architecture with i7 haswell-r?  :huh:

Haswell R? Lol I think you meant E. No. It's the same architecture as Haswell Refresh (Or just Haswell) It runs on LGA 1150. 3.5 with a 3.9 Turbo. So, basically a i7-4770k without an overclock. 

Oh no, I wouldn't do that, I'd ask if your Primary focus was Gaming i5 or Video Encoding work for the i7 (and if you didn't know that) then yeah,tells me most should suffice with a lesser processor than an i7.

Gaming, HD video recording, editing, HD rendering, photoshop work, stuff like that. The Xeon will do fine/great in all areas. :) 

Haswell R? Lol I think you meant E. No. It's the same architecture as Haswell Refresh (Or just Haswell) It runs on LGA 1150. 3.5 with a 3.9 Turbo. So, basically a i7-4770k without an overclock. 

no, i meant haswell-R (refresh) (lol) like 4790. so about xeon, is it need some special ECC memories or standard DDR3 just like i7 does? sorry i'm never try server grade computer before  :P

no, i meant haswell-R (refresh) (lol) like 4790. so about xeon, is it need some special ECC memories or standard DDR3 just like i7 does? sorry i'm never try server grade computer before  :P

It supports ECC memory, though you can use regular DDR3. You don't NEED a server motherboard, again Haswell E3 v3 Xeon's are fine for any LGA 1150 motherboard. The Haswell-R Xeon's require a H97 or Z97 motherboard unless you bios flash older Haswell motherboards for Haswell-R chips. 

It supports ECC memory, though you can use regular DDR3. You don't NEED a server motherboard, again Haswell E3 v3 Xeon's are fine for any LGA 1150 motherboard. The Haswell-R Xeon's require a H97 or Z97 motherboard unless you bios flash older Haswell motherboards for Haswell-R chips. 

thanks for the info, maybe i should gather xeon cpu info from now  :lol: