Maxwell Hype?

anon3na

Maxwell hype?

Hugga Mugga Hugga Mugga

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Just remember I'm in Australia, the eVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 was good value, it was lower than a GTX780ti, but they now have increased the prices.

To me it was worth it, due to how many issues I was having with the GTX780ti's, to other maybe not.

I also had the misfortune to use a R9 290x for 2 weeks, man the coil whine and heat were horrible.

Sad thing is people thought the same as you, Nvidia didn't officially say it was going to be more powerful than the older cards, but they did say it would be cooler and more power efficient.

I could buy a 290 or a 970 and get near identical performance.

Except one card will run with way less power usage & heat output.

After reading about all these price cut for the GTX700 series I must say I'm rather jealous.

Over at where I live there's no price cut at all, making it a no brainer to save up for a GTX 970 for serious gamers.

After conversion to USD, inclusive of tax and everything, buying from a store so no shipping, all Asus cards:

GTX770 - $415

GTX780 - $615

GTX780ti - $861

GTX970 - $430

GTX980 - $667

AMD:

290 - $523

290x - $707

295x2 - $1385

"screw you" tax is high here I think, and I didn't even know how much of it is tax or retailer mark-up, it's not specified :(

off topic from the thread, but is the 34blahblahblah an ultrawide monitor? and if so hows it been?

A lot of good, not a lot of bad.

Good: Awesome color, great viewing angles, field of view encompassing size, love the aspect ratio, amazing for video/photo editing, the resolution is amazing, still waiting on my 970 for more demanding games but minecraft was awesome haha.

Bad-ish: Expensive, but not much more than a thunderbolt display in comparison (not that they are reasonably priced) Lightbleed, IPS displays have it, this one is big so there's a bit of it when it's dark, I stopped noticing after a while though. Maybe it's just coming from retina 13" MBP and thunderbolt display at work, but text seems really small on the LG when I get home on a lot of sites, not hard to read, just not enjoyable, I think it's because there is just so much screen real estate, there tends to be a lot of empty space if you have only one window open. When the computer goes to sleep, the screen goes black, but then cycles to gray and displays a "signal lost" message, before going black again. Not sure why this happens when connected on DisplayPort, but it also causes my desktop in windows to reset to a different resolution or switch to my secondary monitor; as if the display was unplugged. I don't like how long it takes to switch inputs either, but the split screen is cool. Nit picky stuff, but not enough bad for me to say don't get one.

I somehow am not pleased with it either, not just with the 900 series but with all cards. I mean if I pay for a Gpu more than any console costs , want mindblowing fps in at least all current games without having to go SLI .

For someone like me who updates his pc like each 4-5 years with budged components , It feels like games system requirements advance much faster than GPUs power without SLI,  I want 120fps on max settings without wasting thousand of dollars regularly just to keep up.

I had to build two new builds, one for me and one for my cousin, and we both had the required money 1-2 months before this release. I had a very old 8800 so it was just time.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

If you're one of the people, who have bought a 970/980 why did u buy it (regular upgrade cycle, better perf per wat, etc) and did the fact that maxwell was a new architecture, influence your decision. I'm asking this cause personally I'm not that impressed with the current release of maxwell cards, but I think it's largely due to the distorted pricing in Australia where 780s and r9 290xs are cheaper than 970s and the premier 780 Tis (such as the ghz edition) are $100 cheaper than the reference 980.

From most benchmarks it seems that the 970 Trades with the 780 and r9 290x (keep in mind Linus' sample is pathetic) and the 780ti and 980 are pretty much equal with the 980 generally coming out on top slightly (frame rates u won't really notice in the real world).

In the end preformance per dollar really doesn't make much of a difference in costs, unless you want to do SLI in which nvidia cards can get away with small power supplies. I think the Maxwell architecture has impressive potential, but I think nvidia deliberately matched the preformance of a 980 to a 780ti and a 970 to a 780, but I think supply and demand has twisted their aims to output these cards at a better preformance per frame, since there release has managed to undercut both the 780 and 290x (I'm guessing this is the reason why nvidia discontinued the two 780 cards). I think big things can be expected from the maxwell architecture, but rather in the next refresh cycle, rather than this one. Saying that as far as sales go nvidia is doing extremely well right now as the 970 probably comes at a much more reasonable costs outside Australia.

I don't see the issue with this thread...

I went from 2xr9 290 to 1x g1 gaming 980 because I run an mATX case, in my living room, on my desk, next to my screen... noise is a critical factor and I want good frame rates at 4k res.

I think the temps and as such the noise is the real benefit that the 900 series has brought to the table, raw power is not much better than what is being offered by the 700 series or r9 290's - my crossfire r9 290's achieved about 20% more performance (quite inconsistently though, entirely application dependant)

I would have waited for next gen, for the 3d stacked ram and transistor shrink. this should see a big step up in raw power but for me the benefits gained in the temps and noise department (and power consumption) was what I sunk my money into, not an increase in frame rate and considering those elements you can see how this is indeed a much better product

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.