steelseries 7H microphone volume issue?

s4spencer

I have a 7H analog version headset. Since i've had it a 20dB gain has always been necessary to be hearable to others in voice chat services (ingame, vent, ts, skype, steam, you name it). I've gone over all the realtek and windows settings rather thoroughly, and the microphone boost is the only thing that seems to make any noticeable difference.

The static sound lately has become unbearable (due to my tolerance of it,  no actual change in how much) so using the microphone boost is longer an option.

One thing i've noticed is the side with the 3 slots and a screw is noticeably louder, however speaking into this side requires twisting and holding the microphone in place, as it naturally wants to return to the side with the pin hole.

I use the rear audio ports on a z87-d3hp gigabyte mobo. I also use the extension cables that came with the microphone (braided, about 2 meters long in total). My only other option would be to use the line-in on my front speaker, as the cord attached to the headset is less than 3 feet

Any suggestions?