I need help making a computer in australia

albinoish

Cool, so I found an anandtech review that compares the performance of an overclocked g3258 and an i3 4330:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae

They are both nearly identical for gaming performance and outside of gaming the pentium performs better for single threaded workloads and the i3 better for multitasking. Give it a read, what do you think.?

I personally would go for the i3 as it costs the same (by the time you've got a z97 mobo and cooler) and performs the same, but without the hassle of overclocking.

The difference between the G3258 and an i3 aside from overclocking is hyperthreading. Both of them have 2 physical cores, but the i3 has 2 more logical cores. As to performance, if it was me I would probably go for the G3258 simply because it overclocks. 

Also, if you check out this benchmark here, you'll see a 270x can average you 86 fps on ultra with anti aliasing at 1080p:

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/AMD/R9_270X/23.html

I'm guessing you don't have a QHD, high refresh rate screen, so anything over an r7 270 is probably overkill for your situation as your standard 60hz monitor can't actually display the extra 26 frames you're rendering every second. I bought a 270x earlier this year for my little brother's computer and it's been great, but he spends his time playing Battlefield 4 on ultra. For WoW I would recommend going with the 270 (non x) or 265 (which unlike the 260x is built on the same architecture as the 270 and performs closer to the 270 than the 260x) and saving your money.

That's just my 2 cents, you go with whatever you want! We're just your research assistants. :D

i like turtles

The difference between the G3258 and an i3 aside from overclocking is hyperthreading. Both of them have 2 physical cores, but the i3 has 2 more logical cores. As to performance, if it was me I would probably go for the G3258 simply because it overclocks.

But why?

Did you read the whole article? The pentium's performance is only similar after overclocking.

If you have to overclock the pentium to just reach the level of the i3, then why not just by the i3 to start with? Especially if it costs exactly the same all up?

The overclocked pentium will also be drawing more power and putting out more heat (and subsequently noise) once overclocked.

I get it, if you really love overclocking it might be fun to fiddle around with I suppose, but performance wise, they're pretty even. To each his own I guess.

i like turtles

But why?

If you have to overclock the pentium to just reach the level of the i3,then why not just by the i3 to start with? Especially if it costs exactly the same all up?

I get it, if you really love overclocking it might be fun to fiddle around with I suppose, but performance wise, they're pretty even. To each his own I guess.

The fastest Devil's Canyon i3 is 3.8ghz. I've seen the G3258 overclocked to 4.7. In single threaded applications a whole 1ghz overclock will be a huge difference. For a gaming PC is makes perfect sense. 

The fastest Devil's Canyon i3 is 3.8ghz. I've seen the G3258 overclocked to 4.7. In single threaded applications a whole 1ghz overclock will be a huge difference. For a gaming PC is makes perfect sense.

Did you actually read that anandtech link? It literally shows game benchmarks of an overclocked g3258 vs a stock i3 4330. THE PERFORMANCE IS IDENTICAL.

Do you even science Bro?

i like turtles

Did you actually read that anandtech link? It literally shows game benchmarks of an overclocked g3258 vs a stock i3 4330. THE PERFORMANCE IS IDENTICAL.

Do you even science Bro?

Cheapest G3258 in Australia is $78.50. Cheapest i3 on the 1150 socket is $125.

Now then, my question for you is simpler; can you read?

If you can you should be able to read this: Can you count? 125 - 78.50 = 46.50. You'd suggest paying this much extra for identical performance? If you can read, you certainly can't think.

Back to my original question; can you read (be sure now)? The i3 4330 is not for retail on pcpartpicker for Australians. So your original point is rather wasted.

Cheapest G3258 in Australia is $78.50. Cheapest i3 on the 1150 socket is $125.

Now then, my question for you is simpler; can you read?

If you can you should be able to read this: Can you count? 125 - 78.50 = 46.50. You'd suggest paying this much extra for identical performance? If you can read, you certainly can't think.

Back to my original question; can you read (be sure now)? The i3 4330 is not for retail on pcpartpicker for Australians. So your original point is rather wasted.

Oh. My. Glob.

We appear to have miss understood each other. Yes, the i3 4160 or 4350 costs $46.5-$55.5 more, BUT I am proposing that you then save $42 by buying a cheaper h81 non overclocking board (for $57) and using the stock cpu cooler (free) rather than the coolermaster hyper 212 or equivalent, saving $39.5.

So for CPU+MOBO+COOLER it is:

For pentium:

78.5+99+39.5= $217

For i3

145+57+0= $202

So, you can get identical performance to the overclocked pentium in the non overclocked i3 for $15 less amrite?

So with the i3 you get; same performance, save $15, don't have to bother overclocking and the PC should draw less power and the cpu have a longer lifespan. That's what I would go for

Oh and the i3 4340, 4350 and 4360 (which are slightly faster variants of the 4330) are all available in Australia. (4350 for $145 was used in calculations)

I Don't want to start a war over it, we were just discussing different things. ;)

i like turtles

So with the i3 you get; same performance, save $26, don't have to bother overclocking and the PC should draw less power and the cpu have a longer lifespan.

There's a problem with that particular saving. The H81 mobos aren't nearly as good an overclocker friendly platform, doesn't matter if he has an i3, but what if a year or two down the line our tech noob wants to enter the pro-league of the master race and grab a K series processor? That's the eventuality best avoided with a H81. What's more, the H97 platform like the Z series, has six Sata3 ports as standard, compared to only four on the B85 and H81 platforms, in fact I think it's only two on H81 not entirely sure.

There's a problem with that particular saving. The H81 mobos aren't nearly as good an overclocker friendly platform, doesn't matter if he has an i3, but what if a year or two down the line our tech noob wants to enter the pro-league of the master race and grab a K series processor? That's the eventuality best avoided with a H81. What's more, the H97 platform like the Z series, has six Sata3 ports as standard, compared to only four on the B85 and H81 platforms, in fact I think it's only two on H81 not entirely sure.

1. Made a mistake with the pricing, fixed it (sorry I've done this all on my phone :P)

2. Yeah, the entire point of getting the i3 h81 combo is that you don't overclock (there are no overclockable i3 chips)

3. Last I checked, he didn't say he wanted to have 6 ssd's, he just wanted to play wow good and cheap. I doubt very many people use more than 2 ssd's anyway and SATA 2 is fine for mechanical hard drives, which still can't max it out.

4. Yeah, future upgradability would be one great advantage of the z97 board, good point.

In the end, it's up to @albinoish.who may have lost interest in our parts battle anyway by now :)

Edit: Damn I hate autocorrect sometimes!

i like turtles

forgot to quote you what do you think

what abour this cause i am not sure that i will be able to oc cause i watched a video on it and it looked tricky. I know im nooby but what about this http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GKfByc

Yeah! looks great! well balanced build that will get you more than enough fps on WoW for sure! :)

If all you're doing is WoW I still reckon you could save some money by going with a 270x which will still give you much more that 60fps if you wanted. (see that link I posted earlier)

That being said, the 280 is also a great card and a solid, future proof option!

I have two other thoughts

1. think about getting an ssd now instead of the hard drive and maybe buying the mechanical hard drive for mass storage later on when you can afford it. that way you wouldn't have to re install everything if you decide to get an ssd later on.

2. For my first build I was really excited and made an awesome build on a micro atx board and then bought the huge Bitfenix Raider case because it was awesome. I later regretted it, because while the case was awesome, it was unnecessarily big. For your build I would seriously contemplate getting a smaller microatx case and capitalizing on your motherboard's small form factor and thermally efficient components. I now have a nanoxia deepsilence 4: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1532&products_id=25578

It's the quietest, smallest and best case I've ever had.

that being said, if your heart's set on the nzxt case, don't let some random internet guy dissuade you! :P

i like turtles

Yeah! looks great! well balanced build that will get you more than enough fps on WoW for sure! :)

If all you're doing is WoW I still reckon you could save some money by going with a 270x which will still give you much more that 60fps if you wanted. (see that link I posted earlier)

That being said, the 280 is also a great card and a solid, future proof option!

I have two other thoughts

1. think about getting an ssd now instead of the hard drive and maybe buying the mechanical hard drive for mass storage later on when you can afford it. that way you wouldn't have to re install everything if you decide to get an ssd later on.

2. For my first build I was really excited and made an awesome build on a micro atx board and then bought the huge Bitfenix Raider case because it was awesome. I later regretted it, because while the case was awesome, it was unnecessarily big. For your build I would seriously contemplate getting a smaller microatx case and capitalizing on your motherboard's small form factor and thermally efficient components. I now have a nanoxia deepsilence 4: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1532&products_id=25578

It's the quietest, smallest and best case I've ever had.

that being said, if your heart's set on the nzxt case, don't let some random internet guy dissuade you! :P

what sive would you suggest?

@albinoish Hey if your heart isn't set on the phantom I would suggest getting the Bitfenix Shinobi windowed and a few extra case fans but go for whatever you want man :)

@albinoish Hey if your heart isn't set on the phantom I would suggest getting the Bitfenix Shinobi windowed and a few extra case fans but go for whatever you want man :)

but do you know if there is much room left over or just a little?

but do you know if there is much room left over or just a little?

There's heaps of room, particularly with a small cooler (like the stock on you're using) not many hard drives (you only have 1 so far) and a tiny modular power supply (like the corsair you're looking at). making your micro atx build in any full atx tower would leave you ample room to work in.

for reference here's a pic of a micro atx motherboard in a full tower case (similar size to the nzxt phantom or bitfenix raider like I had):

A71_install_complete-300x278.jpg

SO MUCH ROOM

now you see why I'm recommending a smaller case?

sometimes the bigger case can actually make it harder for cables to reach.

i like turtles

what sive would you suggest?

I would suggest looking for a micro atx tower something like one of these three:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cases/Micro_ATX/52342-SIL-352M-KKN1

http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Cases/Micro_ATX/50587-FD-CA-CORE-1000-USB3-BL

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1532&products_id=27421

(^this one's crazy cheap for what it is I reckon)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_1532&products_id=25580

(^This is the one I have, and I think it's great)

again, the choice is always yours mate! get what you want :)

i like turtles

what abour this cause i am not sure that i will be able to oc cause i watched a video on it and it looked tricky. I know im nooby but what about this http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/GKfByc

If you can wrangle the price to include either a H97 or B85 mobo, you will probably appreciate that in the future. More SATA3 ports, give's you options if you're they type of gamer to rack up on games.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($125.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($75.00 @ CPL Online) 
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($245.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($19.00 @ CPL Online) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($115.00 @ CPL Online) 
Case Fan: Gelid Solutions FN-SX12-10 37.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($6.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $917.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-24 00:00 EST+1100

Like Zis. Changed the Gigabyte 280 to Asus 280, couple of $ less and fits in the P240 without removing the HDD cages. If your heart's set on the P240, then I put in some more fans to fill it out (you will need either a fan controller or a fan splitter cable to use them all). B85 motherboard.