Fan RPM Spikes in Palit 970 JetStream

tengambg

Hi guys, i have this weird problem with sudden fan rpm spikes on the GPU. When playing games like Crysis 3 and Ryse Son of Rome the fans go super loud for one second and then they are back to normal.

I attached a picture below. I actually hear the fan only on the circled spikes.

So far i tried auto fan speed, custom fan curve and fixed fan speed. The spikes do not occur only when the fan is fixed to say 70%.

Any ideas? 

fan_spike.jpg

Voltage spikes?

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43

Nope, that's the only thing that spikes. Everything stays leveled even the fan speed in % and the GPU temp, just the RPM.

Probably just minor fluctuations in the voltage that the fan receives. Are there audio-able notices when it peaks?

I'm hearing the fans only on the circled spikes. As you can see these are the only ones that go down smoothly.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem! The problem is more visible when you set the update interval in Afterburner to something like 100ms.

hQTbbQk.png

While the Fan Speed % are only really slowly increasing, you can see that the RPM suddenly ramp up from ~1k to ~2.8k in the middle of the graph and then slowly go back down. That's the point where the fans become loud suddenly. The little spikes are inaudible and can be ignored. Could this be a firmware bug?

Same issue here. I once logged the RPM at a value of 300000. I know it's absurd, but that one more reason that there is a bug somewhere. Any ideas on how to resolve these fan spikes?

The Closet: i5 6600K @ 825-4635 MHz || Asus Z170A || Fury 16GB DRR4 @ 2198 MHz CL14 || Zotac GTX 970 AMP! @ 1555/7900 MHz || Antec TP Classic 550 || Samsung EVO 840 250 GB || Fractal Design R4

The Folder: Acer V5-573: i5 4200u @ 800-2600 MHz || Embedded 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz || 120 GB SSD

The TV SmallBox: MSI Windbox: Celeron 1037u @ 1800 MHz || 2GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz || 500 GB || WiFi bgn

• 1 month later...

Also having spikes in fan RPM on my 970 Jetstream.. Either this card is built badly or theres something in the drivers that makes every card do this..

I have the same issue. Anyone was trying to return card for warranty? Or is any way to fix it? Palit's support wrote me, that it can be fan hardware error.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, new poster here, long time follower of the youtube channel.

First of all sorry for hijacking this thread but i didn't want to start a new one since i have the same issues.

Long story short, Palit gtx 970 Jetstream. Amazing card, fantastic performance, completely silent. The problem is, fan spikes. Suddenly the fans started doing some weird spikes when the temperature is going up that it didn't do before.

I am checking gpu-z and i can see that while "Fan speed (%)" starts showing activity (1%, 2% etc) the  "Fan speed (RPM)" remains at 0, apart from some spikes to around 1000rpm and back 0 for just a second. That goes on every few seconds and up to about 20% fan speed where the card starts behaving normally and the "Fan speed (%)" actually follows the "Fan speed (RPM)".

I dont know how it happened, i have no idea when it started exactly but that's how it runs at the moment. The performance of the cards remains top notch, there is no kind of slowdowns or anything, the temperatures are great and exactly how they were when i first bought it and it never passes 71°C. It truly rips the most demanding games apart. It's just that it annoys me when i don't understand or can't fix something like that.

Below is the activity from gpu-z.

Untitled_zps2ugw43nk.jpg

Thanks a lot and sorry for posting in an older thread.

• 4 months later...

I "solved" the problem by returning it for a refund; bought Zotac AMP! instead.

Palit answered:

Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:44 AM
To: ******
Subject: Re: require advice on Palit Jetstream GTX 970 fan PRM spikes

Dear customer

Thank you for the mail.

This might be caused by the fan hardware error.
Please kindly contac the store where you bought the graphic card to claim warranty.

Sorry for all the inconvenience this may have caused.
Thanks.

Palit Support
Palit Microsystem Ltd.

The Closet: i5 6600K @ 825-4635 MHz || Asus Z170A || Fury 16GB DRR4 @ 2198 MHz CL14 || Zotac GTX 970 AMP! @ 1555/7900 MHz || Antec TP Classic 550 || Samsung EVO 840 250 GB || Fractal Design R4

The Folder: Acer V5-573: i5 4200u @ 800-2600 MHz || Embedded 4GB DDR3 @ 1600 Mhz || 120 GB SSD

The TV SmallBox: MSI Windbox: Celeron 1037u @ 1800 MHz || 2GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz || 500 GB || WiFi bgn