What was asus doing in the year 2000?

FireofDestruction

i looked up their stock just because i was bored in my second period and was shocked that in 2000 they were at 2,660.00 yeah two grand a share anyone know what products around that time made them so successful? and why they fell to 690.00 a share by December in 2000? just curious

most likely they just had less shares available, and they decided to split existing shares into more chunks, companies do it all the time so they can selll shares

but i thought splits meant you had more shares but same value(overall total value of all shares)

but i thought splits meant you had more shares but same value(overall total value of all shares)

Yes, hence the drop in price per share.

if there company was valued at 1000 and there were 100 shares available they would be 10 each, if they decide to split each share into 10 shares then there are a 1000 shares available and thus the price is 1 per share, companies do this to deliberately drop the price of shares and get investors who perhaps don't want to gamble as much on higher priced shares.

if there company was valued at 1000 and there were 100 shares available they would be 10 each, if they decide to split each share into 10 shares then there are a 1000 shares available and thus the price is 1 per share, companies do this to deliberately drop the price of shares and get investors who perhaps don't want to gamble as much on higher priced shares.

i see now but, why not an instant drop down instead of a full 10 months

i see now but, why not an instant drop down instead of a full 10 months

to avoid spooking the market, and undue speculation on the company