System fan has failed?

Hello!

I changed my computer case recently from a HP case to a Cooler Master CM 690 II. It is performing perfectly, but every time I boot my computer it says System fan has failed. Press F2 to continue.

I had to change my 80mm fan (which is powered from the motherboard) to a larger 140mm fan. The fan is working and as I look in the case while the system is running, I can't see anything weird.

Only thing I can see is that the fan which is powered from the motherboard is spinning way slower than the two other fans which are powered straight from the psu.

Does the temperature of the system cause it to spin faster?

How could I get rid of the error? The error is not showing if I replace the 140mm fan with the original 80mm fan. I have tried disabling the hardware monitor from my bios but it's not possible. The motherboard is mATX and it could be the problem because its obviously a HPE-417sc pc.

I will add a picture of the fan and its wiring.

I hope some of you guys can help me with my problem. :)

(It is the left fan in the picture)

post-148060-0-33438300-1413548651_thumb.

just go in to the bios and disable cpu fan, or plug the cpu fan in to the real cpu fan slot, near it, up right corner, must be a pwm.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

It's not possible in this kind of bios to actually disable the fan.

My air is coming from the front to the up and back, so if I added the fan to the bottom, should it be going in or out?

Try this: swap the problematic fan's power - i suppose is the one on the back of the case - with the top fan's. i.e. have the top fan be powered from the mobo, and the back one powered from the psu.

If the problem persists, its a mobo issue, if not something is a little wrong with the back fan.

CPU i7-920 c0 @ 3.5GHz Cooling Coolermaster V10 Mobo ESC X58B-A RAM 3x G. Skill 2GB @ 1480 MHz GPU ASUS HD7870 2GB

PSU Coolermaster SilentPro 700W SSD OCZ Vertex3 120GB HDD's Various 2.2TB Monitors 2x Samsung 22" @ 1680x1050

Case Coolermaster Storm Trooper Keyboard Das Keyboard Ultimate S Mouse Logitech VX Nano Audio SteelSeries Siberia V2 w/ 7.1 Soundcard

Sorry for the picture being so small. It doesn't show the thing. The top fan is powered from the psu and the CPU fan is the fan on top of the cpu. (I didn't even unplug it during the case swapping)

The problematic fan is the one on the left which has brown 3-pin connector.

I had to change my 80mm fan (which is powered from the motherboard) to a larger 140mm fan. 

The error is not showing if I replace the 140mm fan with the original 80mm fan. 

The 140mm fan is running at a lower RPM then the stock 80mm fan, which is normal because it's a much larger fan, but the motherboard thinks the 80mm fan is still there but running too slow, so the computer is reporting it as failing.

"Rawr XD"

Try this: swap the problematic fan's power - i suppose is the one on the back of the case - with the top fan's. i.e. have the top fan be powered from the mobo, and the back one powered from the psu.

If the problem persists, its a mobo issue, if not something is a little wrong with the back fan.

Ok. I will try so switch them and if that doesn't work, I need to find a place for the original 80mm fan.

Ok. I will try so switch them and if that doesn't work, I need to find a place for the original 80mm fan.

The problem will likely reoccur if it's the same fan, since the motherboard is putting the same voltage as it would to the 80mm fan, say, 7V, but the fan is running at a much lower RPM, hence the warning. It's a frequent problem I see when connecting aftermarket fans to OEM motherboards.

"Rawr XD"

The problem will likely reoccur if it's the same fan, since the motherboard is putting the same voltage as it would to the 80mm fan, say, 7V, but the fan is running at a much lower RPM, hence the warning. It's a frequent problem I see when connecting aftermarket fans to OEM motherboards.

You're probably right. So, KoKa, I think you should just let the 80mm out and get one of these to power the extra 140mm fan from the PSU as well.

CPU i7-920 c0 @ 3.5GHz Cooling Coolermaster V10 Mobo ESC X58B-A RAM 3x G. Skill 2GB @ 1480 MHz GPU ASUS HD7870 2GB

PSU Coolermaster SilentPro 700W SSD OCZ Vertex3 120GB HDD's Various 2.2TB Monitors 2x Samsung 22" @ 1680x1050

Case Coolermaster Storm Trooper Keyboard Das Keyboard Ultimate S Mouse Logitech VX Nano Audio SteelSeries Siberia V2 w/ 7.1 Soundcard

You're probably right. So, KoKa, I think you should just let the 80mm out and get one of these to power the extra 140mm fan from the PSU as well.

Yeah really the only way is to probably ghetto mount the stock 80mm onto the back, since having no fan connected would also cause the error.

"Rawr XD"

There is a setting in your BIOS that has the fan minimum RPM threshold before it throws the error, I had the same problem. My pc would boot, read the fan as ~496rpm (the threshold was 500pm) and it would think it was about to explode and throw the error. You don't need a ghetto fix, you just need to lower the threshold in your BIOS.

i7 3770 | Asus Z77 Pro | 16gb Kingston HyperX 1600 | Corsair AX750w | Steelseries 6Gv2 + Logitech G502

GPU: Asus R9 280x Direct CUII (complete with the famous VRAM issues/artifacts feature enabled)

stuck in elo hell, chillen with morello

Alright guys. I placed the original 80mm fan to be working as the exhaust fan at the back. (the cable was so short) I mounted the 120mm fan to be working at the front as an intake with the blue led 140mm and powered it from the psu.

The error is gone as u may have guessed. The system ain't much louder as I thought it to become. :)

Thanks for your answers and help guys! :)