New microphone setup

MammothJerk
Go to solution Solved by Lauen,

i looked at one of my countrys stores and i found these

Röde PSA-1 mic stand

Röde NTG2 shotgun mic

Röde SM-4 Shockmount

Behringer - Xenyx Q502USB

does this look like something that would work?

is the mixer good enough and should i just connect it to my computer via USB?

that setup should work yes, but I'm not too sure of the quality of that Behringer Mixer / interface. hello fellow Scandinavian btw!

Right now im using an old zalman ZM-MIC 1 clipped to my DT770's and im thinking its about time for an upgrade

I use my mic for skype, streaming, teamspeak, mumble etc and i usually have music playing on my 5.1 surround speakers so an omnidirectional mic would NOT be ideal.

i do have space to clip/drill on a stand to my desk.

how much does a shock mount and a pop filter help?

xlr vs usb?

no real firm budget but lets say something around the lines of 400-SEK3,622?

i live in sweden so not everything is availible here.

thanks

EDIT:

does this setup work?

Röde PSA-1 mic stand

Röde NTG2 shotgun mic

Röde SM-4 Shockmount

is the mixer good enough and do i just connect it to my computer via USB?

The Blue Yeti pro with shock mount, mic stand and pop filter should add up to about only $150-200 (Depending on country etc) and that has incredible quality. You could also get an AT2020 instead of the Blue yeti

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

The Blue Yeti pro with shock mount, mic stand and pop filter should add up to about only $150-200 (Depending on country etc) and that has incredible quality. You could also get an AT2020 instead of the Blue yeti

those aren't exactly the kinds of mics OP wants, as he said he listens to music on a 5.1 sound system so those would pick up pretty much everything.

I saw a thread once where a guy set up a mic for this kind of use, using speakers while on TS and things, lemme go dig it up

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

You could get the ModMic 4.0. It's very good and mobile.  

I also live in Sweden, I ordered it from their website and it was shipped from the US to Sweden in 8 days with no import tax or any fees from the Swedish postal service. It just stocked at Overclokers.co.uk which might end up being cheaper and delivered faster since it's within EU. 

Depending on your sound card you might want to update that to get the full "experience" so to say, this is not due to the ModMic 4.0 but just for any "high-quality" Microphone, with my on-board sound card an noise suppression the mic sounds just like my old IceMat(now SteelSeries) clip-on mic that cost me about 50SEK.

I made this video today to show the comparison between a cheap USB Sound Card, ASUS Xonar U3 (299SEK from NetoNet.se) and my on-board sound card with and without Noise Suppression with the ModMic 4.0. 

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

You could get the ModMic 4.0. It's very good and mobile.  

I also live in Sweden, I ordered it from their website and it was shipped from the US to Sweden in 8 days with no import tax or any fees from the Swedish postal service. It just stocked at Overclokers.co.uk which might end up being cheaper and delivered faster since it's within EU. 

Depending on your sound card you might want to update that to get the full "experience" so to say, this is not due to the ModMic 4.0 but just for any "high-quality" Microphone, with my on-board sound card an noise suppression the mic sounds just like my old IceMat(now SteelSeries) clip-on mic that cost me about 50SEK.

I made this video today to show the comparison between a cheap USB Sound Card, ASUS Xonar U3 (299SEK from NetoNet.se) and my on-board sound card with and without Noise Suppression with the ModMic 4.0.

Several people i know have the mod mic, and i have to testify that it sounds pretty damn amazing.

I have the same mic you started with the Zalman one and i am seriously considering upgrading (especially considering the low cost) to the ModMic. I dont want to go for the desktop mics because no only do i use headsets for voice chat, but i use speakers for game sounds, music, and movies. And most of the other options have.... drastically increasing costs as you go for higher quality.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

those aren't exactly the kinds of mics OP wants, as he said he listens to music on a 5.1 sound system so those would pick up pretty much everything.

I saw a thread once where a guy set up a mic for this kind of use, using speakers while on TS and things, lemme go dig it up

this looks like the most promising setup, any reccomendations for the parts?

this looks like the most promising setup, any reccomendations for the parts?

no idea about what exact things, but you'd need an audio interface and a shotgun mic, at least.

no idea about what exact things, but you'd need an audio interface and a shotgun mic, at least.

Röde PSA-1 mic stand

Röde NTG2 shotgun mic

Röde SM-4 Shockmount

Röde PSA-1 mic stand

Röde NTG2 shotgun mic

Röde SM-4 Shockmount

that setup should work yes, but I'm not too sure of the quality of that Behringer Mixer / interface. hello fellow Scandinavian btw!

• 2 weeks later...

works like a charm! =)

47bc326c65.jpg