Big Purchase Mistake

Hi all, this is my first forum post, so I apologise in advance if this topic shouldn't be here.

Recently I made the mistake of buying an Alienware 17 laptop. I didn't think about it at all and I was just focused on having a new computer. But now the more I think of it, for me the right decision would have been to buy all of the computer components and build a desktop. If I could, I would sell my laptop now and use that money to build the desktop, since all the laptop does anyway is sit on my desk like a desktop. But this is where problems come along. First of all, I have had the laptop to long (4-5 months) to return it to the manufacturer and get a decent amount of money back. the second problem is that I don't know anyone who I could actually sell it to for a decent amount of money. The final problem has to do with my parents. They would never allow me to sell something of that price. 

Any piece of advice would be welcome. Sorry again of this isn't what I should be making a thread about or whatnot.

Thanks!

The Alienware laptops are not so overpriced at the desktops. I will refer you to a user of one @ShadowCaptain

My advice would be to just use the thing. Afterall you already bought it, so why not jus t use it.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

Is there any reason the Alienware is inadequate? I get that you wish you had built a PC but I would hold on to it for now.

Unless you needed to game on ultra high settings or were rendering 4k 3D, probably not worth the hassle.

And if your parents say no, that's probably the end of it.

This is why you don't buy things without adequate research, especially expensive things like gaming laptops :/

Don't think there's much you can do, since even if you sell it I don't think you'll get enough to cover a full gaming rig anymore, anyways.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

And if your parents say no, that's probably the end of it.

My parents said no at one point, then I explained how Alienware is overpriced.

Because he had a hard drive.

Hi all, this is my first forum post, so I apologise in advance if this topic shouldn't be here.

Recently I made the mistake of buying an Alienware 17 laptop. I didn't think about it at all and I was just focused on having a new computer. But now the more I think of it, for me the right decision would have been to buy all of the computer components and build a desktop. If I could, I would sell my laptop now and use that money to build the desktop, since all the laptop does anyway is sit on my desk like a desktop. But this is where problems come along. First of all, I have had the laptop to long (4-5 months) to return it to the manufacturer and get a decent amount of money back. the second problem is that I don't know anyone who I could actually sell it to for a decent amount of money. The final problem has to do with my parents. They would never allow me to sell something of that price. 

Any piece of advice would be welcome. Sorry again of this isn't what I should be making a thread about or whatnot.

Thanks!

Could be worse. Much worse. 

You got a pretty capable piece of hardware there. Take it in the chin and just think that at least you got a good kit to play with.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Even though I have a desktop I have no intention of replacing my M18x (well actually I am looking for a new gaming laptop)

Personally I would keep the M17x and save up for a desktop for next year, then you have a kick ass desktop and a kick ass portable system

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

And how much value it lost. As killcomic said, just take it on the chin, it won't cover a new rig now anyway probably.

Could be worse. Much worse. 

You got a pretty capable piece of hardware there. Take it in the chin and just think that at least you got a good kit to play with.

This ^.

Learn from your mistakes. Don't rush into buying hardware (or anything for that matter)! Do your research and be sure you know what you want. Don't just choose the first cool thing you see.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

As far as gaming laptops go Alienware laptops are not over priced, they are expensive yes, that is 100% true, but for similarly speced built and performing laptops, that look good too, they are priced just fine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse, stick the laptop away somewhere where it's not visible, and you can pretend it's a desktop that you've built.  :lol: Problem solved!

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

And remember, if you go to college you will be needing a laptop. Done deal!

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

You make a build using this.

Graphite-380T-Wht-Low.jpg

Because he had a hard drive.

Just buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse, stick the laptop away somewhere where it's not visible, and you can pretend it's a desktop that you've built.  :lol: Problem solved!

Not a bad solution!  :lol:

Even though I have a desktop I have no intention of replacing my M18x (well actually I am looking for a new gaming laptop)

Personally I would keep the M17x and save up for a desktop for next year, then you have a kick ass desktop and a kick ass portable system

That seems like the best option for me

True, but I won't be going to college for a couple more years

Before I got my desktop my m18x was my main rig for 2 years, I used it connected to an external monitor keyboard and mouse and used it like a desktop but was great to take to friends or to LANs

True, but I won't be going to college for a couple more years

Dude, you can add multiple quotes to the same quick reply by hitting the "quote" button in the bottom right. No need for entire separate posts.

| i5-2500k | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 | G.Skill 8GB | 2x XFX R9 280X | EVGA 1000W G2 Gold |

Dude, you can add multiple quotes to the same quick reply by hitting the "quote" button in the bottom right. No need for entire separate posts.

ok

Before I got my desktop my m18x was my main rig for 2 years, I used it connected to an external monitor keyboard and mouse and used it like a desktop but was great to take to friends or to LANs

yeah it is good for those kind of things

@Fluffyfakedog, just out of curiosity, what're the specs of this Alienware 17 laptop?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

ok

yeah it is good for those kind of things

... Seriously ...?

AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X
16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8GB) 
Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ

1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s

250GB SSD

Windowns 8.1

@Fluffyfakedog, just out of curiosity, what're the specs of this Alienware 17 laptop?

AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X

Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ

1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s

250GB SSD

Windowns 8.1

AMD Radeon™ R9 M290X

Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ

1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s

250GB SSD

Windowns 8.1

Erm... how old are you?

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)