Good starter DSLR?

Well its a fact that Canon has twice the number of lenses available for its systems. The pentax sensor stabilization systems is and always will be inferior to in lens stabilizers. And when all the dslr cameras these days get really nice quality what does matter? The devotion to one system. And when you have none yet, like the threads creator, you're are better of with the more popular manufacturers. And ricoh does not even make a full frame dslr. To be relevant pentax has to make something really special, and their newest model, the K-S1 which new buyers should be considering seems like a bit of a gamble. Ultimately canon and nikon selling way more stuff than pentax is all the evidence needed that pentax is behind for many reasons.

I could go on about how Pentax's K-mount is backwards compatible with lenses made since the 1970s, or I could tell you about the benefits of having sensor based stabilisation, but I wont tire you with those because ultimately the proof is in the pudding (not my photos, but taken with a Pentax camera). And before you tell me I should post my own photos, here is my flickr.

There are marketing reasons for Pentax not selling as well as Canikon, but camera competency is definitely not one of them.

Old lens adapters are not hard to come by for any manufacturer. Ant the PERSONAL OPINION article you posted is so laughworthy. They guy who wrote it contradicts himself in the same paragraph. Also he omitted crucial info like the need of rotational compensation using sensor shift and ineffective panning modes and thats not all at all. When doing research don't just post 5th site from google search as some noteworthy information. And showing some picture galleries as "proof" ? Really man? What does it have to do with choosing a system and comparing pledging yourself to a manufacturer? Showing a gallery of artsy (not technical) pictures to show what a camera is capable of is like going to a fashion show to see how beautiful women are. I had various imaging devices from 4 different manufacturers i have some real world experience.

And honestly i don't think professionals are affected by marketing that much, most of which do prefer nikon or canon systems. End of discussion.

Old lens adapters are not hard to come by for any manufacturer.

But actual lens compatibility is. Try and get auto focus and aperture to work with those adapters.

Ant the PERSONAL OPINION article you posted is so laughworthy.

It's sad how you just skip over the link where the K3 uses it's inbuilt shake reduction mechanism to allow a user to turn on and off the camera's AA filter (any other camera do that?). And the main point of the article was that you could use any lens and have shake reduction. Perhaps you want to use shake reduction with Sigma's non-stabilised 18-35mm f1.8 lens? Which stabilisation system would allow that? Besides, my point was that both methods have their strengths, which you chose to ignore to further your argument.

And showing some picture galleries as "proof" ? Really man? What does it have to do with choosing a system and comparing pledging yourself to a manufacturer?

I must ask you, what is a camera's purpose if not to make great photographs? Isn't the end product of photography the photos? That's what I'm showing you here; that a Pentax camera can take macro photos competently. If you shitcanned a Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Olympus, etc, etc I'd still call you out on that bullshit with evidence to the contrary. The OP needed a capable camera to do macro photography, of which there are many outside of the realm of Canon and Nikon. You're perpetuating a myth that good photography is only available from those makers.

End of discussion.

Thank god we can agree on that, cos that was getting really tedious :rolleyes: And maybe now we can stop derailing OP's thread.

But actual lens compatibility is. Try and get auto focus and aperture to work with those adapters.

It's sad how you just skip over the link where the K3 uses it's inbuilt shake reduction mechanism to allow a user to turn on and off the camera's AA filter (any other camera do that?). And the main point of the article was that you could use any lens and have shake reduction. Perhaps you want to use shake reduction with Sigma's non-stabilised 18-35mm f1.8 lens? Which stabilisation system would allow that? Besides, my point was that both methods have their strengths, which you chose to ignore to further your argument.

I must ask you, what is a camera's purpose if not to make great photographs? Isn't the end product of photography the photos? That's what I'm showing you here; that a Pentax camera can take macro photos competently. If you shitcanned a Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Olympus, etc, etc I'd still call you out on that bullshit with evidence to the contrary. The OP needed a capable camera to do macro photography, of which there are many outside of the realm of Canon and Nikon. You're perpetuating a myth that good photography is only available from those makers.

Thank god we can agree on that, cos that was getting really tedious :rolleyes: And maybe now we can stop derailing OP's thread.

OK one more. Because its very funny what youre talking. Firs point you made: autofocus on old lenses? No. Why? Because bad.

Use sensor shift on any lens? Yes, best thing about it, very useful.

Low pas filter manipulation: nice useful feature. Is it important in real world? Because cameras with or without filters dont have many problems with it, only in specific situations as the article uses preselected specific examples.

If youre using galleries as proof that good photographs can be taken with pentax its a fact that you can find MORE galleries like this made up of Canon and Nikon photos. MORE of macro work and professional work in general.

Also youre derailing the thread comparing a single camera or a feature to other and recommending that based on the one thing, WHILE PLEDGING YOURSELF TO A SYSTEM IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT, AND ITS BETTER WITH THE LIKES OF CANON OR NIKON. And any of the features you mentioned can be discussed about extensively mentioning both pros AND cons. Also stop with the swears youre sounding pathetic.

WHILE PLEDGING YOURSELF TO A SYSTEM IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT, AND ITS BETTER WITH THE LIKES OF CANON OR NIKON.

My argument is that for OP's needs it doesn't matter and they would be perfectly fine with a range of cameras. I'm just going against your argumentum ad populum. That point is obviously not getting through to you, and frankly I'm not sure why I'm bothering. So really, I'm out. This is getting old and I wont be responding to any more posts in this thread.

Also, "pledging yourself to a system" isn't the more important thing, having a camera capable of what you need it to do is. There are mediocre cameras with poor system support that produce amazing macro images.

My argument is that for OP's needs it doesn't matter and they would be perfectly fine with a range of cameras. I'm just going against your argumentum ad populum. That point is obviously not getting through to you, and frankly I'm not sure why I'm bothering. So really, I'm out. This is getting old and I wont be responding to any more posts in this thread.

Also, "pledging yourself to a system" isn't the more important thing, having a camera capable of what you need it to do is. There are mediocre cameras with poor system support that produce amazing macro images.

Thats photographers ingenuity whats negating that poor system support, and of high level at that. And there is not a better way to START besides going the most convenient way (not the most mass appealing as you implied). And while being just as capable (or pissibly even better) as a pentax or some other system, going nikon or canon provides more benefits in addition of which we have discussed already. Also i would go as far as saying the k3 might be the only exeption to this rule. Specifically k3 because it is very good.

People will say the t3i but in my opinion the t5i has simple touchscreen interface 

• 2 weeks later...

K-50 is not a bad camera at all, it's just not favoured, and the styling is not for most people. There is alot of fanboyism when it comes to cameras, phones and computers etc. I personally had the chance to try many of the cameras, if you get a APS-C sensor camera go get a approx. 60mm aps-c lens, if you go full frame go for the 100mm lens. Or you can go play with reverse lens macro. If you just want to take pictures any camera would do, but if you want to start video then go for Canon 70D or 7D.