SoundCards?

chriscoolzap

Hey, 

What are the best sound cards for professional video editing/music production and also for gaming? Any price..

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Hey, 

What are the best sound cards for professional video editing/music production and also for gaming? Any price..

Onboard.

what? no.

For gaming, onboard. For professional audio/music production there's loads of stuff, but generally you want something outside your system so you get away from the noisy static electronic magnetic mess that is your computer.

You can go extremely expensive and get something like an RME audio interface (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php). I presume you don't want to have massive amounts of I/O so a babyface would suffice, which starts at about €549, but they go all the way up to €1949 (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_ufx.php) for a Fireface which has god knows how many I/O's and is rack-mountable. this is the pro-est of the pro grade stuff you can get.

One step down is the more regular stuff like Allen & Heath, Steinberg's own proprietary audio interface for Cubase or MOTU's line-up of audio interfaces (http://www.thomann.de/nl/allenheath_ice_16.htm, for example)

Then another step down is the more budget stuff like M-audio, Focusrite (which make some really cool entry-level I/O solutions) and Phonic. Pro tip: never buy Phonic. Just don't. Lot's of noise and bad pre-amps.

But you're a gamer, you don't need that. What you need is proper speakers and a DAC, being a Digital to Analog converter. You just go out and buy some proper speakers (personally I can vouch for studio monitors. They give great punchy bass that don't wake up the neighbours but weirdly have some really good oomph, aswell as having great sounds everywhere else.) and then set up a DAC next to your computer. This way you bypass all the fancy stuff like the things I mentioned above, and you get only the thing that actually matters to you, being good sound coming out of your computer. I've personally never bought a studio-grade DAC, but linus has reviewed quite a few of them.

Bear in mind, I'm not a pro, i'm just someone very enthusiastic about audio and someone who has no money. So i've seen a lot of reviews about a lot of stuff, but don't have much hands-on experience with all this. I personally own some Fostex PM-1 studio monitors which I can't complain about and have been through a phonic and a Reloop audio interface. The phonic died on me and was crappy in general and the Reloop is really well-built. love it.

snip.

If he has midi and mics, sure, an audio interface would be great, if not onboard. A interface wont make your input/output "professional" just allows for interfacing, most the time gain selection. But if you dont have the other goodies to use with it. Why bother.

same question i want a sound card 7.1 and a pro headset to support it so i m thinking of an astro a40 for the headset or the seenheiser g4me zero and sound card is asus xonar phoebus solo or asus d2x . so does this setup work smoothly with each other or not need ur help here guys and ur recommendation plz 

same question i want a sound card 7.1 and a pro headset to support it so i m thinking of an astro a40 for the headset or the seenheiser g4me zero and sound card is asus xonar phoebus solo or asus d2x . so does this setup work smoothly with each other or not need ur help here guys and ur recommendation plz 

Most likely not needed.

You can buy them if you want, and it will work for sure, but still, most likely not needed.

Most likely not needed.

You can buy them if you want, and it will work for sure, but still, most likely not needed.

detail plz why? i dont need it u mean the mixamp or what ???

detail plz why? i dont need it u mean the mixamp or what ???

Most likely you don't need the sound card, just use the onboard. Onboards nowadays are quite good already, and if it turns out not loud enough, just get a basic headphone amp to pump more juice.

Most likely you don't need the sound card, just use the onboard. Onboards nowadays are quite good already, and if it turns out not loud enough, just get a basic headphone amp to pump more juice.

thx for help but i want to experience the sound card + a pro headset for once and im really wanna go for it and give it try so plz the config above it will works flawless or no and which one is better and highly recommended headset/ astro a40 or sennheiser g4me zero

sound cards / asus xonar phoebus or asus d2x

plz if u know any of them just advice me any help it will be appreciated thx again  

thx for help but i want to experience the sound card + a pro headset for once and im really wanna go for it and give it try so plz the config above it will works flawless or no and which one is better and highly recommended headset/ astro a40 or sennheiser g4me zero

sound cards / asus xonar phoebus or asus d2x

plz if u know any of them just advice me any help it will be appreciated thx again  

Like I said, get it if you want to, and it will work.

I just don't want you to get the wrong idea that 'it must be a "pro" headset, and it must be paired with a "pro" soundcard to make it work'. You don't need it, but of course it's okay to get it because you want it. 

Out of the 2 headset, my pick would be the game zero. As for the sound cards, I don't know very much about them.