Microstuttering in every section for Metro 2033 (not Redux)

Richard See OH Zee

Title says it all, and the microstuttering is even noticeable in the options menu.

Here is what I tried so far...

- Setting video quality to low, with advanced DX11 options such as advanced depth of field and tessellation turned off.
- Dropped the resolution for the game.

- Disabled Advanced PhysX.
- Limited my FPS via MSI Afterburner to reduce CPU load.
- All cores unparked.

I currently am using a Gateway DX4885-UB3A which the only upgrade is a EVGA GTX 750 Ti. The specs apart from the added video card is an Intel Core i5 4440 up to 3.3 GHz, 8 GB of DDR3 memory, and a Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.

Title says it all, and the microstuttering is even noticeable in the options menu.

Here is what I tried so far...

- Setting video quality to low, with advanced DX11 options such as advanced depth of field and tessellation turned off.

- Dropped the resolution for the game.

- Disabled Advanced PhysX.

- Limited my FPS via MSI Afterburner to reduce CPU load.

- All cores unparked.

I currently am using a Gateway DX4885-UB3A which the only upgrade is a EVGA GTX 750 Ti. The specs apart from the added video card is an Intel Core i5 4440 up to 3.3 GHz, 8 GB of DDR3 memory, and a Seagate 1TB 7200 RPM HDD.

Unfortunately it is a terrible game engine I cannot recommend anyone to play the original on pc because of the poor quality of the engine. Do yourself a favor and buy the redux version. Last light is exactly the same so don't get the newer version of that though. 

Not even on my system can I get a playable experience in that game on the original engine.

Edited by SeanBond

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Disable V-sync and if that does not work try changing settings in the nvidia control panel.

"Who are you the King of Siam, you got to get the best one? Who cares? They’re all the same these machines. They’re all made from the same asian suffering." - Louie Season 3 Episode 10, GO WATCH IT NOW.

First off a 750ti is not really that good so that's probably why a high end game like Metro runs like poop.

First off a 750ti is not really that good so that's probably why a high end game like Metro runs like poop.

I said I ran the game with the lowest video settings possible and even dropped the resolution. It runs decent on high 1080p. Just the microstuttering is killing the game.

Unfortunately it is a terrible game engine I cannot recommend anyone to play the original on pc because of the poor quality of the engine. Do yourself a favor and buy the redux version. Last light is exactly the same so don't get the newer version of that though. 

Not even on my system can I get a playable experience in that game on the original engine.

I don't know what your doing wrong, but I can get my system at 2560x1440 at a solid 50FPS.

EDIT-Seems to be a problem with nvidias drivers conflicting with the game.

Took this post from a steam forums.

If your stuttering is not performance related, meaning your framerate is stable but you still get stuttering/microstuttering, then try this, its jsut a compilation of stuff ive tried to get the game smooth. 

"I found a fix for my stutter/microstutters. For me on ANY setting i get the problem, even just using single GPU the problem would still be there. But in my anger to get the game smooth i tried everything all at once

#Turn off Vsync ingame via config

- To do this just simply go to your 
*User Folder - AppData - Local - 4A Games - Metro2033 - 
*Open "User.cfg" with notepad 
*Change r_vsync to "off" without quotes and save
- If you cannot find AppData folder in your user folder, thats because its by default a hidden folder, to unhide it just do this
*Start - ControlPanel - Change view to "Large Icons" (just to make it easier to find things) - Folder options - View Tab
*Change "Hidden files and folders" to "Show hidden files, folders, or drives". After that you should see AppData in your user folder.

#Force Vsync and Triple-Buffering via D3DOverrider (tho im not sure if D3DOverrider even works for this game, but i do it anyways).

- To do this its pretty straight forward/simple
*Download and installed "Rivatuner", D3DOverrider comes with this program.
*To execute it just do Start - in search type in "D3DOverrider" without quotes, it should pop up.
*In D3DOverrider to force things you just pretty much have to add the games executable, so click on the big plus sign and find/add the games exe file.
*Set program detection to medium or high and make sure to turn on Force Vsync and Triple-Buffering. 
- Make sure to have it running in the background before you execute/run your game, or else nothing will be forced, to confirm its working you will hear a confirmation sound play just after you start the game.

#If D3DOverrider doesn't work though then you can try forcing "Adaptive Vsync" in the Nvidia Control Panel. 

- To do this 
*Right click your desktop and open "Nvidia Control Panel"
*On the top left side click "Manage 3D settings"
*Go to "Program Settings" tab and find Metro2033 Profile, if its not there by default then add in the games executable by clicking add.
*Once you have found the games profile or have made one, just scroll down the list of settings you can force and set "Vertical Sync" to "Adaptive". (If "Adaptive" is not there then that means you dont have the latest drivers, in that case, update your drivers to the latest which is 301.42)
*Apply and you should be done.

Didnt seem to do much but i tried something else, via Dxtory i limited my framerate one frame lower than my monitors RefreshRate and wow was i surprised, 100% smooth ingame, no more stuttering/microstuttering, i tested the places that stuttered the most before and they are now smooth as hell. To see if i was just having a placebo effect, i took out the framerate limit and let it run 60Fps instead of 59Fps and bam the stutter was back. So yeah now i definitely know that the combination of forcing Vsync (Not using ingame Vsync) and limiting framerate fixes it for me.

- To limit framerate Via Dxtory
*Download and install Dxtory, its a recording program, better than fraps imo, but also has the feature to limit framerate
*Open Dxtory and go to the tab that has an icon that looks like a chip
*Set "Processing Threads to the number of cores your processor has
*check "Limit Video FPS" and set the Fps one frame lower than your monitors Refresh Rate, so if your monitor has 60hz then set it to 59FPS, if your monitor has 120hz then set it to 119Fps.
*To confirm the program is running with your game, in Dxtory go to the tab that has the icon that looks like a monitor/screen and check the following, "Use Default Setting", "Video FPS", "Write File FPS". 
- Leave the program running in the background for it to have effect. Youl know it its running with the game when you see your framerate displayed by it. 

- You can also limit your framerate via "MSI Afterburner" an overclocking tool that has the feature aswell.

But yeah try all those combinations at once and see if it helps you guys out. Good luck.

Also, try disabling 2 cores and or hyperthreading.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

EDIT-Seems to be a problem with nvidias drivers conflicting with the game.

The 344.11 drivers? That's what I currently have.

The 344.11 drivers? That's what I currently have.

I found this post: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/540596/metro-2033-severe-stuttering-regardless-of-settings/

from 2013, which I guess may be where the conflict occurred, and may have never been fixed.  I don't own a nvidia card though, so I couldn't tell you sorry.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I said I ran the game with the lowest video settings possible and even dropped the resolution. It runs decent on high 1080p. Just the microstuttering is killing the game.

Driver issue. Try a different driver.

I am going to tell you again, it's the game engine. There is nothing you can do. I have spent hours trying to diagnose the issue. I personally don't know anyone who has played 2033 without just trudging through the microstutter. If you really want it gone you have to have the redux. There really is nothing that will make it go away. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I am going to tell you again, it's the game engine. There is nothing you can do. I have spent hours trying to diagnose the issue. I personally don't know anyone who has played 2033 without just trudging through the microstutter. If you really want it gone you have to have the redux. There really is nothing that will make it go away. 

I don't see what all this buzz about 2033 being unoptimized is ? For me it runs really excellent considering how graphically intensive it is it runs super well on my rig.

It's due to the driver problems since last year based on the quoted post below. I'm pretty much affected by that and may have to get the Redux version.

I found this post: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/540596/metro-2033-severe-stuttering-regardless-of-settings/

from 2013, which I guess may be where the conflict occurred, and may have never been fixed.  I don't own a nvidia card though, so I couldn't tell you sorry.

I don't see what all this buzz about 2033 being unoptimized is ? For me it runs really excellent considering how graphically intensive it is it runs super well on my rig.

Yeah im sure it does if you are used to playing without vsync and you are not sensitive to micro stutter and tearing. As for the people who play with a locked frame rate the microstutter is awful. I would actually prefer playing 2033 on xbox 360 over pc.

Yeah im sure it does if you are used to playing without vsync and you are not sensitive to micro stutter and tearing. As for the people who play with a locked frame rate the microstutter is awful. I would actually prefer playing 2033 on xbox 360 over pc.

I just played it recently on a 560ti rig and my 760, and microstutter was not an issue

While the engine isn't perfect it was easily the best graphics of a game launched in 2010, and the game in general was amazing for the budget it received.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I run all games with V sync on as i hate tearing cause it takes you out of the immersion. Metro 2033 runs really good on my rig which at this point is extremely average mainstream. Plus Metro 2033 scales increasingly well with dual GPUs on of the best scaling games.

I run all games with V sync on as i hate tearing cause it takes you out of the immersion. Metro 2033 runs really good on my rig which at this point is extremely average mainstream. Plus Metro 2033 scales increasingly well with dual GPUs on of the best scaling games.

Well I don't know what to say then, maybe it's an issue with certain cards. For me though. I almost couldn't play the game. Even on a 780ti the game looked much worse, stutters to an insane degree and has less content than the metro 2033 redux. I would never recommend anyone ever purchase the older game now that the redux is out. 

Well I don't know what to say then, maybe it's an issue with certain cards. For me though. I almost couldn't play the game. Even on a 780ti the game looked much worse, stutters to an insane degree and has less content than the metro 2033 redux. I would never recommend anyone ever purchase the older game now that the redux is out. 

The Original has better graphics. That said I would defiantly turn Physx off cause it's really buggy and not use 4x MSAA even though it looks boss no more than 2x MSAA unless you like playing a slide show.

The Original has better graphics. That said I would defiantly turn Physx off cause it's really buggy and not use 4x MSAA even though it looks boss no more than 2x MSAA unless you like playing a slide show.

Well that pretty much does it. You are insane if you think the original comes close to the graphics of the redux. What games do you know in 2010 that stand up to the quality of 2014 game graphics. You would literally have to take the top of the line 2010 games and compare them to the bottom of the barrel 2014 games to even come close to a real comparison. It's not even close between the original and the redux. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwVvl71JnM

What games do you know in 2010 that stand up to the quality of 2014 game graphics.

Um Crysis 1 and it still looks better than most trash that comes out now in days.

I've never had any issue running the original Metro 2033 and LL, on my triple HD7970 (back then) and my dual R9 290X as well as on my dual GTX670's in SLi, a mild hitching here and there, very minro ones, which did not affect gameplay. My triple HD7970 was pretty much immune to the micro-stuttering reported by some who were running dual card solutions. Was even able to play Metro LL original on my 2nd rig totally maxed out at 1080P w/o issue, difference between Advanced PhysX enabled and disabled was within 5 frames.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2