Is there any other diffrence in the Z87 and the Z97 other then M.2 and sata express...

I have a friend who wants to get the GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER M5 because she likes the green colout over the red GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5

I'm trying to advice her against getting the Z87 chipset

thanks for the advice and help

no difference except that Z87 is almost out 

it doesn't support Devil's Canyon (4690k/4790k) and Z97 is slated to support Broadwell after a BIOS update

I tried to tell her about the cpu support and she says you can update the bios  and she said she won't be getting the broadwell anyways =.=

no difference except that Z87 is almost out 

it doesn't support Devil's Canyon (4690k/4790k) and Z97 is slated to support Broadwell after a BIOS update

Z87 do support Devil's Canyon if it has a new enough UEFI.

you usually have to have a CPU already to do a BIOS update, and they don't always work perfectly.

This

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

you usually have to have a CPU already to do a BIOS update, and they don't always work perfectly.

If you're lucky you could get a motherboard with a new enough UEFI on it already though.

If you're lucky you could get a motherboard with a new enough UEFI on it already though.

I have had experiences where the vendor, even newegg, says they'll ship with the newest update, but you may end up with their old stock, and screwed. The manufacturer is the one that updates, not the vendor. Now if you have another compatible CPU or have a friend with one, then it's ok to go for it

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Will it be at all worth upgrading to Broadwell from what's available right now? I haven't been paying much attention as it'll be 2 years (Maybe Cannonlake) or so before my next upgrade.

Personally, I'd take the Z87 board in a heartbeat, I missed my opportunity and I'm kicking myself for it.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Will it be at all worth upgrading to Broadwell from what's available right now? I haven't been paying much attention as it'll be 2 years (Maybe Cannonlake) or so before my next upgrade.

Personally, I'd take the Z87 board in a heartbeat, I missed my opportunity and I'm kicking myself for it.

I dunno about Broadwell I stilll don't even know what improvements will broadwell bring

all I know is my own build I wanted to get the sniper M5 but at that time it was out of stock

If she can get her hands on it, and a pre-refresh Haswell CPU and is unlikely to upgrade until at least Skylake, I say go for it. Throw in Corsairs green vengeance LP, a reference Nvidia GPU and a Be Quiet Shadow Rock 2 CPU cooler and she'll have one sexy looking system.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I have a friend who wants to get the GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER M5 because she likes the green colout over the red GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5

I'm trying to advice her against getting the Z87 chipset

thanks for the advice and help

those boards all ship updated now, its just as good as the z97.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have had experiences where the vendor, even newegg, says they'll ship with the newest update, but you may end up with their old stock, and screwed. The manufacturer is the one that updates, not the vendor. Now if you have another compatible CPU or have a friend with one, then it's ok to go for it

A bios update isn't always needed, http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4737

That particular board, which is 8 series so it's released a year ago when Haswell came out, which never got any bios update supports a 4790k.

Not all gigabyte Z87 boards seem to be verywell working with devils canyon cpu´s.

I remember that @JayzTwoCents had allot of issues with his Gigabyte board.

So he went and boaght a Msi Z97 M-power if im right?

Ive im right he had some problems with the cpu voltage acting weird at stock speeds, or something.

Maybe Jay will jump in, and explain more on this.

Anyway i would not recommend to buy a gigabyte Z87 board with a DC cpu.

Simply because it will most likely not work properly.

Also keep in mind that you can only update the bios with an supported haswell 1.0 cpu so yeah..

Only Asus boards have the capability to flash a bios without a cpu and ram installed.

But yeah if she realy likes the green color, then she could also grab a 4670K or 4770k, there is not much of a diffrence between those and devils canyon to be honnest.

only a few extra capacitors added to the chip, for more stable power, and improved TIM.

But this still not realy guarantees better overclocking over haswell 1.0

Its still a matter of luck.

Not all gigabyte Z87 boards seem to be verywell working with devils canyon cpu´s.

I remember that @JayzTwoCents had allot of issues with his Gigabyte board.

So he went and boaght a Msi Z97 M-power if im right?

Ive im right he had some problems with the cpu voltage acting weird at stock speeds, or something.

Maybe Jay will jump in, and explain more on this.

Anyway i would not recommend to buy a gigabyte Z87 board with a DC cpu.

Simply because it will most likely not work properly.

Also keep in mind that you can only update the bios with an supported haswell 1.0 cpu so yeah..

Only Asus boards have the capability to flash a bios without a cpu and ram installed.

But yeah if she realy likes the green color, then she could also grab a 4670K or 4770k, there is not much of a diffrence between those and devils canyon to be honnest.

only a few extra capacitors added to the chip, for more stable power, and improved TIM.

But this still not realy guarantees better overclocking over haswell 1.0

Its still a matter of luck.

I bios update isn't a  problem for me because of my dad's cpu collection, the thing is will it be a good choice to run a older board?

I learned on the forum it's always a better idea to get the updated series so less problem may occur. I'm trying to find reason to tell her to get the newer version  so there be less problems  she insist on the colour (reason:all the other boards are yellow or red =.=)

I bios update isn't a  problem for me because of my dad's cpu collection, the thing is will it be a good choice to run a older board?

I learned on the forum it's always a better idea to get the updated series so less problem may occur. I'm trying to find reason to tell her to get the newer version  so there be less problems  she insist on the colour (reason:all the other boards are yellow or red =.=)

BUt if she likes the green board, why then not just buy a haswell 1.0 chip? 4670k or 4770k?

There isnt much of a diffrence between those and 4690k and 4790k.

Z87 with 4670k / 4770k will work without any issues.