AAA Games

Kitten

I was thinking the other day, the last AAA title I purchased, was Far Cry 3, and I really couldn't enjoy it, For so many reasons which I won't list here... :)

I suddenly realised, that AAA games just don't interest me any more. For the last few years I've been playing really nothing but WoT, LoL, CSS and Minecraft. Sure I've have tried the big titles throughout the years, BF3 and Skyrim to name a couple, but the problem is games like these don't hold my to attention, and I can't remember the last game like these I completed.

I think the problem is, I only really play competitive multiplayer games, and any multiplayer I've played like the CoD franchise, BF3 fpr examples, Just don't cut it. The constant numbers flashing on screen and unlock system is sure compelling for the first few days, maybe weeks on game time, but after that, it becomes mind numbingly dull and repetitive. The problems I see are that these games are obviously focused for a mass market, where accessibilty, and ease to pick up are a big factor. The games I enjoy playing, should be focused on player skill and team coordination, and I just can't find this in AAA mutiplayer environments.

My first multiplayer games I played were the original Far Cry, Call of Duty: United Offensive and Half-life2: DM later CSS, at the time these games came out (2003 - 4?) They were pretty big titles and offered such a rich gaming experience and community, no unlocks or exp, just fun gameplay. So players aren't playing these games just to grind to the next gun or attachment, but focused on meeting new people, and having great games.

What I'm getting at is that I've only found this to be the same in smaller and lesser known game titles, where the developer is ballsy enough to make a 'gamers game' aimed at a specific group of people, not designed to please everyone who owns the platform. Therefore not sacrificing the best parts of the multiplayer experience, and are not afraid to make a game challenging to master, throwing you in with a cinder block around your ankles making you learn the game mechanics, and work with other people. Jimmy Whissenhunt from the CS scene rightly said a while ago, games like CS which have such a high skill ceiling, focus so much on smart movement and knowledge of the physics engine, more than the actual shooting, whereas the more modern CoD-like shooter is all about 'skill' shots. Interpret that how you like.

I don't want to start much of a rant about this, and no doubt I'll still by big titles in the future to be disappointed again. :D But anyone else have the same thoughts? /discuss! :)

• Graphite 600T White
  • P8Z77-V Pro
  • H70 cooled i5 3570k - 4.8ghz
  • Palit GTX660ti Jetstream - 2GB
  • 16GB Corsair PC3 - 1600MHz
  • Intel 120GB SSD
  • 1TB + 500GB HDD
  • Corsair CX 750w 80+ Bronze
  • Logitech G9x <3
  • Logitech G19 - Never worked properly
  • A place to store one DVD or CD - I'm yet to find a use for it
  • Many fans - Coolermaster and Corsair
  • Minuscule amount of dust - To be removed

The key aspect of this subject, as you mentioned, is that AAA titles are aimed toward the masses. Indie developers don't focus as much on money as EA or Activision.

I think everyone can agree with your post, but as much as we would like a "gamer game" with a large demographic, there really isn't one. :/