GTX 970 or r9 290X

Nikolis

Hi all i have been looking into the pricing vs performance of these two cards (gtx 970 and r9 290x) and right now both of them are going for around $350

(i intend to use me NZXT G10 watercooler on these cards so heating wont be an issue) 

Which one will most people perfer and has anyone used the nzxt kraken g10 water cooler on a 970 successfully?

-

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics so you're notified when someone answers ;) in my sig you can find links to the CoC and the forum's F.A.Q. check them out!

I don't think the g10 would work on the 970, however it's probably the better choice of the two, they perform very similarly and the 970 draws a lot less power.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

970. According to NZXT the g10 will work on the GTX 970

Thank you all, ive had amd for a while now and im getting swayed back to nvidia due to less heat and power consumption

is the 970 more comparable to the 780ti or 780?

water cooling a 970 won't do much. maxwell cards are voltage locked at the hardware level (1.212v), and you might get a bit of performance boost from them being cooler, but wattage won't vary much.

290x on the other hand will gain a massive boost with an AIO.

the only issue with either card would be vrm cooling. some 290's come with vrm heatsinks, like mine did, but some might not. not sure about Maxwell cards.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Thank you all, ive had amd for a while now and im getting swayed back to nvidia due to less heat and power consumption

is the 970 more comparable to the 780ti or 780?

In most cases the 970 outperforms the 780, especially at higher resolutions. However, the 780ti remains a stronger card in most cases, though not by a huge margin.

If you have any other questions do ask :)