3770k or 3820

So i have been looking around for a new CPU and I had stumbled upon a 3770k for $220 but i also found that the 3820 is the same price, Which one should I get?

The 3770k actually performs a little better in games as far as I remember, but to be honest if it where me, I would go with the 3820, just because its a newer platform, and will probably have better upgrade option for a longer period than LGA1155 :)

(Comming soon)

Depends if you are rolling with multi-gpu setup of more than 2. If you just gonna go with 2, go for 3770k. 3820 is kinda pointless unless you going for tri or quad multi gpu. Bare in mind the motherboard for the 3820 which is a socket lga 2011 plattform is more expensive.

Yes, Logan from Teksyndicate did some benches where the 3820 came out last (of the i7, i5, and 8350). But as an extreme level CPU I do believe it supports more RAM and PCIe lanes.

well the 3820 doesnt have overclock capability so i would go with the 3770k

The 3820 has a bus to core ratio between 12_44 so even leaving the base clock you get 4.4 GHz right away yeah sure the 3770k can have a bus to core ratio of 56.

It really comes down to do you need the extra 2 channels of ram? (will you ever use 64GB and upwards of ram?)

Do you want to add more pcie cards?

If the answer to the above two are no then get the 3770k otherwise get the 3820.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

You can overclock a 3820, even though the name doesn't have a K behind it.

damn... there is always one product that doesnt fit the naming scheme that throws you off :)

Yes, Logan from Teksyndicate did some benches where the 3820 came out last (of the i7, i5, and 8350). But as an extreme level CPU I do believe it supports more RAM and PCIe lanes.
please don't try to say that the 8350 is an all around better cpu than the 3770K based on nothing but some few benches with no details to allow anyone to replicate his results.

a majority of the time a 3570K beats an 8350,a 3770K beats it even more so.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

The 3770k generally perform better clock to clock, has his multiplier unlocked and is on a less expensive platform (motherboard) so UNLESS you plan to get a 6 cores / 12 threads CPU in the future (and plan to fully use those cores/threads AKA not gaming) OR plan to use 3 or 4 video cards for any crazy reasons :P then go for it.

I didn't say that, I said that the 3820 didn't perform well. If you doubt that too thats fine, but that seems more realistic.

I didn't say that' date=' I said that the 3820 didn't perform well. If you doubt that too thats fine, but that seems more realistic.[/quote']

a large majority of the time the 3820 does considerably better

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=697

especially for gaming

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

HarwareCanucks have reviews of both of these CPU's that are really detailed, and give more info than any of us could possiblly type. My recollection of their coverage of these CPUs is that the 3820 overclocks a little better than the 3770, if that is important to you.

The 3820 will be better if:

You are running 3+ GPUs

Planning on upgrading to a better X79 chip later

if you are overclocking on a good cooler

The 3770k will be better if:

You don't want to overclock very much

You care about power savings

You are willing to delid

You want to hit incredibly high memory overclocks

His tests don't reflect all games, because he tested it on 5 games, if I recall correctly. They were all extremely varied, he only posted one set of numbers and he didn't overclock them, so his tests were pretty much worthless, IMO.

I would get the 37770K.

Although choosing the 3820 does give you the benefits of lga 2011. Some of the benefits for 2011 include, Quad channel memory, better SLI/Xfire support, and it supports more CPU cores.

Personally i don't think those benefits mean much if you are only going to use a 3820.

i had this thinking of my current plan, is it 3770k or 3820

i can tell you, in my plan there;s nothing called 3820, i planed to get 3770k

but for what i know, 3770k gives more heat than 3820, so depends on your whole budget if u could get a better cooler and intend to go for OC, i think 3770k is the choice

Check this out:

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/the-workbench/new-builds-and-planning/49416-poll-for-cpu-motherboard?p=54355#post54355

Well you are right about the 3770 being better than a 3820 but dont use the data from his benches on that video to support your statement.

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Are you a frequent upgrader?? Have plans of of upgrading to an ivy bridge-e chip?? Then get the 3820 and a good x79 biard..if not just get the 3770 k which is better clock to clock as of now. You would be good to go!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

I would simply choose the 3770K over the 3820 because it is a newer generation. 3820 is still Sandy Bridge. And when Haswell comes out, Sandy Bridge will become Two generations behind.

3820 is "Not" a newer platform.

I would simply choose the 3770K over the 3820 because it is a newer generation. 3820 is still Sandy Bridge. And when Haswell comes out' date=' Sandy Bridge will become Two generations behind. 3820 is "Not" a newer platform.[/quote']

3820 is SB-E not SB, x79/2011 is the highest end socket for intel into the future, Haswell fits into the consumer market. SB-e and IB-E will still rule the roost.