low performance laptop for work environment?

Tetris

Hi guys!

i was wondering if you would run a VERY low-powered laptop for simple work?

Well. in my country i'd be considered an entusiast when it comes to pc's, i have decent hardware, and i work ALOT in solidworks, Keyshot and programs alike.

yet i often see people that either buy low-powered macs, or mid-range laptops for school and internet-browsing, when in reality a Lenovo B50 with an SSD is able to cover the fundemental needs.

So my question is, would you agree to buy a VERY low-powered very basic laptop but at a very affordable price?

My point is that you really won't get that much better solutions unless you buy like an G75/G55. I made a post earlyer where most of us just accept that mid-range laptops won't last performance wise longer than a year anyway.

Current PC's: Razer ouroborus, Razer Anansi, Razer Tiamat 2.2,  
Homebrew desktop: Intel I5-3570K    ~4,4Ghz, H100i, Asus MVG, Vengence 16 Gb 1600Mhz Ram, Asus GTX 770 DCII, Samsung Syncmaster Px2370,           Samsung 840 256GB EVO 2xSeagate 1Tb,                      Corsair C70(AF modified)+Corsair TX650  

Asus G75VW:             Intel I7-3630QM ~2,4Ghz,                                   HyperX 16Gb 1600Mhz Ram,       Asus GTX 670M (3Gb),          Asus 17" Non glare screen,   Samsung 840 250Gb+750GB Momentus XT

I dont know if this counts but i have a I3-350m,2gb 60gb ssd laptop im currently installing windows 10 on.

Steve

IMHO in lot of cases for Word/internet/youtube it's basically at least 4 gigs of ram and then pick one which looks better. 

I dont know if this counts but i have a I3-350m,2gb 60gb ssd laptop im currently installing windows 10 on.

i guess so =) 

IMHO in lot of cases for Word/internet/youtube it's basically at least 4 gigs of ram and then pick one which looks better. 

my point exactly, but doesn't that undermine the need for everything other than ultra low-powered or pretty highend?

Homebrew desktop: Intel I5-3570K    ~4,4Ghz, H100i, Asus MVG, Vengence 16 Gb 1600Mhz Ram, Asus GTX 770 DCII, Samsung Syncmaster Px2370,           Samsung 840 256GB EVO 2xSeagate 1Tb,                      Corsair C70(AF modified)+Corsair TX650  

Asus G75VW:             Intel I7-3630QM ~2,4Ghz,                                   HyperX 16Gb 1600Mhz Ram,       Asus GTX 670M (3Gb),          Asus 17" Non glare screen,   Samsung 840 250Gb+750GB Momentus XT

Chromebook if you never have more than about 5 tabs open in the browser at any given time.

Otherwise, this Dell looks good.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Chromebook if you never have more than about 5 tabs open in the browser at any given time.

Otherwise

the thing is, many chromebooks are actually way more expensive over here than the cheapest windows ones. and for working enviroments, aren't chrome OS kinda out of the question =)?

Just few days back changed HDD to SSD for brothers Dell Vostro 1500 and just for fun went with Win 10. I have to say it's damn good for everyday use with its Core2Duo 2GHz\4GB\8600m GT 256MB. considering it's something like 7 years old. I admin it's not very portable but as a desktop replacement that you can easily carry around house still good.

i dont like chromebooks. tried using one. regretted it

Is it a "I just don't like the OS" sort of thing?

They're pretty snappy with that light OS and SSD ya knows...

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just few days back changed HDD to SSD for brothers Dell Vostro 1500 and just for fun went with Win 10. I have to say it's damn good for everyday use with its Core2Duo 2GHz\4GB\8600m GT 256MB. considering it's something like 7 years old. I admin it's not very portable but as a desktop replacement that you can easily carry around house still good.

Im liking it fully stable :D much better than 8

Steve

And thats exactly what i'm thinking. Low-powered system with SSD rather than non-ssd midrange models.

Is it a "I just don't like the OS" sort of thing?

They're pretty snappy with that light OS and SSD ya knows...

No. Its just if i want a os thats light i use a linux distro like puppy

Steve

And thats exactly what i'm thinking. Low-powered system with SSD rather than non-ssd midrange models.

My sisters got a celeron and ssd which makes it usable :D

Steve

but aren't celerons like ok by now? Back in  the day they were quite terrible, but then again, why pay extra for a midrange i5 that will never be challenged what so ever?

if we accept a lifespan of 1-2 years, the cheapest machines running W8.1  with an SSD wil shurely suffice right?

i guess so =) 

my point exactly, but doesn't that undermine the need for everything other than ultra low-powered or pretty highend?

From technical side it does. But market proves that there is buyer for every weird combination of size/quality/hardware.

Personally, no I wouldn't, but that's because I do video editing, play games, and do other stuff that needs the extra horsepower. If all I did was browse the internet and do word and stuff on the computer, sure. I would still get something with an SSD and decent build quality, not one of the 300-500 dollar laptops that are so flimsy they bend when you pick them up and that have stuttering when the start screen comes in in windows 8, but there would be little to no need to spend more than 700-800 on a laptop, if even that.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

In some of them you can pop a bigger Msata SSD in there and put Ubuntu on them.

Also, hello fellow Oregon resident.

Hello my Oregon friend.

Which ones can you put bigger SSD's in btw?