Backup / Syncing questions

HI,

I run a HP Envy for my work pc with windows 8.1

I was curious the best way for me to sync/backup my work pc, and also access the files remotely from home while still syncing them with my work pc.

Is there software that will sync the hard drive from my work pc to my home pc?

Can I buy a new SSD to install in my home computer as a dual boot drive, login to the dual boot and still have the identical work image at home. And if I update any files at home thet will sync with my pc at work?

Thank you,

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

its possible, It depends if you want just the documents to sync and if you can install programs on the work laptop.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

idk my uncle has something with a router and a code that changes every hour to acces his work computer

he doesnt even have to go to work

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HI,

I run a HP Envy for my work pc with windows 8.1

I was curious the best way for me to sync/backup my work pc, and also access the files remotely from home while still syncing them with my work pc.

Is there software that will sync the hard drive from my work pc to my home pc?

Can I buy a new SSD to install in my home computer as a dual boot drive, login to the dual boot and still have the identical work image at home. And if I update any files at home thet will sync with my pc at work?

Thank you,

Anthony

Hey racerking,

There are a couple of ways to do that, depending on what exactly you need.

If you just need a backup and a shared location for your work files and don't need to work with programs or the OS from the other PC, all you need is a NAS. It gives you the option to back up all files and folders that you need and you can access them anywhere through the internet. Once you change them, they stay changed no matter where you access them from. Here's a good example of a 2-bay NAS with lots of features to aid you: WD My Cloud EX2: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1180 . It provides access to files, streaming and other functions to everyone with the log-in information (and password) through the network and the internet.

If you need a software that will sync your whole system or part of it - give WD SmartWare a look: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=940 . It synchronizes all your data to a local or network drive and if you have access to that drive from another computer (a matter of settings), you can view and change those files.

You can always use a online cloud for files and to change them there (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, etc.).

If you want access to the work computer from somewhere else, I would suggest checking out some remote connection programs (you can ask around here for some good ones).

Hope this helps :) If you have any questions - feel free to ask,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/