AMD and Intel

Go to solution Solved by MasonV,

Intel..always intel...

Don't be a fanboy.

Hi guys I just wanted to know if I should buy a low end core i5 or one of the similar priced AMD 8core cpu. I will be mostly be using it for Solid Works, homework and a little gaming.  :)

Now, to answer the question, you really have to look at the applications you're using;

• Solid Works
  • Homework
  • Gaming

Solid Works isn't highly optimized for multi-core processing from what I read, neither is gaming really, you'll benifit more on this front from the intel processor. As for homework, its more of a mutli-threaded task, BUT its not inensive at all and you won't need the extra threads to open office applications with a calcualtor, notepad, etc.

My advice is to go with the i5 as you'll get more out of it than say the FX 8350.

Hi guys I just wanted to know if I should buy a low end core i5 or one of the similar priced AMD 8core cpu. I will be mostly be using it for Solid Works, homework and a little gaming. :)

Shifter  :D

Low-Mid Budged -> AMD 

Mid-High Budged -> Intel

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

What are you doing? Gaming or productivity?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

What are you doing? Gaming or productivity?

A bit of both but the productivity is just causal.

Shifter  :D

Intel all the way! Even locked i5 is far better than 8core AMD cpu, thx to new architecture. Those 8core AMD cpus are near to i3, but still fail in some games comparing to i3.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

the FX lineup of processors are very good value but the haswell architecture just blows bulldozer/piledriver out of the water. where amd processors excell are actually the APU lineups as an all in one unit they are fantastic little chips perfect for HTPCs or light gaming rigs

What is yoru budget for the rig as a whole? Where do you live ? (so we can look for parts in your country) What do you plan to do on said PC? (as in gaming, if so which games, or if you wanna do photo/video rendering)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Intel..always intel...

Don't be a fanboy.

Hi guys I just wanted to know if I should buy a low end core i5 or one of the similar priced AMD 8core cpu. I will be mostly be using it for Solid Works, homework and a little gaming.  :)

Now, to answer the question, you really have to look at the applications you're using;

• Solid Works
  • Homework
  • Gaming

Solid Works isn't highly optimized for multi-core processing from what I read, neither is gaming really, you'll benifit more on this front from the intel processor. As for homework, its more of a mutli-threaded task, BUT its not inensive at all and you won't need the extra threads to open office applications with a calcualtor, notepad, etc.

My advice is to go with the i5 as you'll get more out of it than say the FX 8350.

I would say 8320. I wouldn't get a i5 that does not have overclocking myself. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I would say 8320. I wouldn't get a i5 that does not have overclocking myself.

a 3ghz locked i5 is still much faster than an overclocked to 4.6ghz FX-8320...tested by myself and only in some software that can leverage more than 6 threads actively can the FX catch up...for gaming it's a no brainer.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

a 3ghz locked i5 is still much faster than an overclocked to 4.6ghz FX-8320...tested by myself and only in some software that can leverage more than 6 threads actively can the FX catch up...for gaming it's a no brainer.

Find that hard to believe. I am pretty sure they would come out somewhat even on most games, maybe a slight edge to the i5 at that clock. More games are going to be multithreaded in the coming years anyway. Must have been some old games you tested. And I want a nano suit.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q