Windows 8, Last Chance

Ghost

I thought I might make this to let people know that 31st January is the deadline to buy windows 8 for cheap.

After then instead of costing you $40 to upgrade it will cost you $120 to upgrade to normal Windows 8 and $200 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro.

Also now you can grab a free copy of Windows Media Center for the future from their website HERE. You don't need to even own a copy for this to work so its worth to take it just in case you will ever need it. (It will cost $10 later)

For more information go here: Clicky

-------------------------------------------------

I also thought I would say my speculation on why the price is going up.

The only thing that is wrong with Windows 8 is the lack of the start button.

If in SP1 they put it in again then everyone will have to agree that its a great OS.

Hence they might as well bump the price up.

There is literally no reason for them bumping the price up to reduce sales unless they do something to increase sales at the higher price.

So if I were you I would buy now.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

you can install the start butten , go to this site and download the start original

give in ninite in your brouser

you can install the start butten , go to this site and download the start original

That's not the point. There are hundreds programs for the start button.

The point is an OS shouldn't need 3rd party software to make it useable.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

It is usable without the Start button. I have been using it since 2 days after launch and I have never wanted to go back to the Start button. It's irrelevant. What, do you still want there to be Start buttons 100 years from now? Technology changes, even if some people don't want it to.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The Start button is gone for a reason. It makes 0 sense to have it. Let me demonstrate:

If you have this:

desksb.png

Good luck clicking on the Start Button. Right now, I can click at the bottom left corner of the screen, and I get the Start Screen. With the Start button, you have to click it on the task bar. So you have to click it where the Explorer Folder icon is, about.

Also what if you have this:

desksb2.png

Than what do you do? I guess I have to force restart my computer, as I can't access the start button! Laughing you are? Well this was a problem with the developer preview of Windows 8. Sure you can hit the Windows key on your keyboard, but so can you do this now.

So, no. I disagree with you, the Start button is absolutely no sense, and I am glad it out.

3rd party software breaks Windows 8. It doesn't solve it.

Based on me building computers or pluuging their pre-assmebled computers (Dell, HP, etc.), to users that don't know much about computers, have NO PROBLEMS. When I pointed that out, it was after they click at the lower left corner of the screen, and they go and say something along the line: "Oh I never noticed that the button was not there. I just naturarely click there to open it".

It's again, power users that freak out, and call the end of the world because something has changed and they think that the average users are complete incompetent. Last I check, people aren't lost when they buy a car of different color of their old one, let alone be in a different internal layout of the car. People still know how to use the car, and how the radio works.

I use the start button for 1 reason. Because I have NO icons on my desktop.

I use it as a bar for my programs and I also use it for the search bar.

In fact I mostly use it for the search bar.

That's why I want it back.

The only thing that is wrong with Windows 8 is the lack of the start button. If in SP1 they put it in again then everyone will have to agree that its a great OS. Hence they might as well bump the price up. There is literally no reason for them bumping the price up to reduce sales unless they do something to increase sales at the higher price. So if I were you I would buy now.

I agree that if you are going to upgrade to windows 8 you should do it now, however I highly doubt they are going to add a start button in SP1, and even if they were, that would not be the reason they are raising the price.

The only thing that is wrong with Windows 8 is the lack of the start button. If in SP1 they put it in again then everyone will have to agree that its a great OS. Hence they might as well bump the price up. There is literally no reason for them bumping the price up to reduce sales unless they do something to increase sales at the higher price. So if I were you I would buy now.
I agree that if you are going to upgrade to windows 8 you should do it now' date=' however I highly doubt they are going to add a start button in SP1, and even if they were, that would not be the reason they are raising the price. [/quote']

They are bound to add something ground breaking. The new GUI is what stopped many people changing over. If they brang back the start button many people would switch over to windows 8.

I use the start button for 1 reason. Because I have NO icons on my desktop. I use it as a bar for my programs and I also use it for the search bar. In fact I mostly use it for the search bar. That's why I want it back.

You can do this now. Win key and type what you want. Nothing has changed on that regard.

I use the start button for 1 reason. Because I have NO icons on my desktop. I use it as a bar for my programs and I also use it for the search bar. In fact I mostly use it for the search bar. That's why I want it back.
You can do this now. Win key and type what you want. Nothing has changed on that regard.

I heard the search is badly organized as well. Maybe thats changed since beta.

Also when I press the windows key why would I want a massive screen obscuring everything popping up?

Yeah, the search is still pretty awful, and but there's a few apps that you can use that shrink Metro down to the size of the old start button, which I guess makes it a little more usable.

This video from razethew0rld sums up all that's wrong with the OS pretty well.

That has changed since the Beta. In fact Windows 8 got significantly better at every Beta stages and final. From I wanted to uninstall it (developer preview -> alpha), to I recommend it. It's not perfect where it has quirks like it's hard to shut down or put to sleep the computer, but nothing killer. Nothing like a keyboard shortcut, key to start menu pinned program that does this can't handle. (or Do Win+I, and click on the power button and pick what you want to do, or hit your power button on your computer or do Alt+F4 on your desktop and you get the traditional shutdown option window).

Search results are organized by filter: Apps, Settings and Files, or search within a Modern UI apps.

-> By default App is selected, where it search everything on your start screen + installed apps. So if you have a pinned control panel element, it will show it as part of it.

-> You can do Ctrl+Tab any time on the screen, and it will show you your entire start menu content on the screen.

-> You can do Win+W to search on a setting directly, Win+F for files.

As for the window key. It's give you the maximum amount of results, and show you entire content by minimizing or not even have to scroll. Windows Vista/7 search only showed you few items of what you are looking for. It was a pain to find a file unless you know exactly what you are looking for. Now you have far more space for results.

Moreover, the search leans from your searches, and use dictionary completion of what you are typing for. A feature that was not possible due to the restrictive size of the start Start Menu. Also, when you access the Start Menu you are not focusing on something else. your eyes are on the start menu. And things don't pop-up (Now if you use a black background color on your desktop and you pick the start screen to be perfect yellow, than yea ok.. but that's asking for it. You can pick subtle colors like dark gray making the transition much smoother.) This is going to be like UAC. everyone freaked out and calling the death of Microsoft is near.. now everyone like it as it prevents 90%+ of traditional attacks, including viruses embed into files of working (if uou open a picture, and it need elevated credentials, then you know something it wrong), and now they don't mind it.

I made a thread about this before Linus crapped out the server SSD. This is absolutely ridiculous. $200 dollars for Windows software is insane in my opinion. Does anyone know WHY they're doing this?

Agreed. I like to pin things to the top for quick access to certain programs as well.

I made a thread about this before Linus crapped out the server SSD. This is absolutely ridiculous. $200 dollars for Windows software is insane in my opinion. Does anyone know WHY they're doing this?

Ok let's see why...

Doing an Operating System as flexible and complete as Windows, is no easy task. It requires thousand and thousands of engineers, working on it. The interface that you see of Windows constitute about 10% of the OS. For more reference: When XP was released, Microsoft decided to ditch the NT3 core, which is dated from 1993, way before security treats where at the levels we have now, and the internet practically non-existent, and certainly not what it is now or even what it was in 1995. It took 6 years of work. It was easy in the early days as systems configuration were very limited, and technology required to be supported was signification simple and also limited. Heck, even 16-bit sound (full sound experience that you are hearing now, and not beep's and boop's) was not possible. But now? Holy pineapple! You just can't. So yea, not cheap, very not cheap.

The reason why Android is possible, because it's simplified Linux.

iOS? You can't do anything, let alone barely multi-task. No external device to manage, beside the 1 possible device on its single port. 1 configuration of the system

MacOS? Based on Unix. Apple justs does the interface and additional programs to it (calulator, drawing program, note program, etc) and a few features. All the workd is done for them. They just update Unix, add a few features to the interface, and voila! new OS!

Linux development is moving at snail paste, and its core dates back since its early days, just a slow evolution. There is no reason why the core needs to be updated. It's designed for server in mind first, and then on desktop and laptop computers with the help of distros. Basic stuff like font rendering engine is not paid much attention, hence why font is hard to read since it's early days. GUI is put last.

Because that's the price Win7 was set at when it first came out? In 2009 Win7 cost 119USD for Home Premium and 199USD for Professional. It's not insane, it's the exact same thing they did last time. It's predictable. I'm actually surprised that the promo to buy Win8 at this price lasted this long, I figured it would go away right after Christmas.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010

It is usable, you don't need a start button. If you can't get on board with change then just stick with what you have. Just make sure you remember to not complain when people are doing things you can not. Trust me, they are not bringing the start menu back, they are simply done with the promo and raising the price back to what Win7 sold at in 2009.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010

Bought my copy today. Saved me some ching.... Although I don't know if using windows 8 at this moment is a good Idea....

i had not one problem in testing the RP on my bench...but the final w8pro was a hell of registry hackin just to get a cleaner look on the desktop ( the place i am supposed to work ); so yeah i'm just grumpy about some optical issues here, cause the programs and tools are just running fine - some need a little push or kick sometimes...also, i upgraded with the RP and installed the w8pro clean on a fresh ssd - problems : none !

This is an alpha...this is not a beta. Yeah...and we're running it on production ! [LinusTech & SlickPC]   ~    More Power Than All the Computers in 1999! [Our Servers ^^]

I think that we need to give the windows store some more time to mature and then people will start buying, but yes, buying the OS before the price rises is very ideal.

My laptop is eligible for an upgrade.

I'm not even gonna bother. Windows 7 is still the superior OS imho.

if you do the windows upgrade will it free up my windows 7 cdkey? i plan doing a system build in the next few months and dont want to pay full price for the cdkey. Or can i install windows 7 without a cdkey then upgrade to windows 8?

if you do the windows upgrade will it free up my windows 7 cdkey? i plan doing a system build in the next few months and dont want to pay full price for the cdkey. Or can i install windows 7 without a cdkey then upgrade to windows 8?

Technically yes, but you are not suppose to based on the license agreement. To my knowledge the Windows 8 pre-setup program just checks if you have a genuine previous version of Windows, and that is all, when you purchase it from Microsoft site, which then will download Windows 8 and give you a product key once you place your order in the program.

You can press the windows key (it's faster than moving mouse to the corner, though you can do that on w8 as well!) and start typing to find an app; win+W to search for elements within control panel and system settings, and win+F for files. I find it a lot better than all-in-one search where first result wasn't exactly what I meant to find until I typed the entire file name