Switching between integrated and discrete graphics

casserly

Hi guys, 

I apologise if this has been asked before but I simply cant find the answer Im looking for in those posts.

Im thinking of building a second PC for my other home (studying in a different city so I commute alot and occasionally stay for extended periods of time in one place or the other). The problem is that I cant really afford a new GPU (since I'd only want to use high end), so I'm going to use the integrated graphics.

I'm considering bringing my graphics card with me when I want to play games on the computer (alot easier to take a GPU in the train than a whole computer :P ), but how simple is it to switch between the integrated Intel HD graphics and the Nvidia ones and vice versa? Someone else would also be using this new system so I would have to reactivate the Intel HD graphics everytime I take my discrete GPU with me.

Is it as simple as just removing the graphics card or inserting it (and obviously change the input of the cord)? Or do I have to change settings in the BIOS? Or do I have to disble the nvidia drivers when I want to use the Intel ones and vice versa? Can I even havce the drivers installed at the same time or would it cause a clash?

Sorry if the question is noobing or something but Ive never used integrated graphics before and I just want to be sure before I order the parts.

Thanks in advance!

PS: My first post so I hope Ive placed it in the right location, otherwise just tell me and Ill fix it 

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla 

I'm fairly sure that most motherboards will automatically disable the onboard graphics if it detects a discrete video card plugged in. I think both sets of drivers will coexist peacefully on the system without needing to juggle them. If not, at least you'll know what to try first. :)

Alright awesome, hope you're right  ;)

Should get my parts tomorrow/friday, and I'll give it a try. Ill report back with the results...

Thanks btw

Case Define r3 CPU 3930k GPU EVGA GTX 780 RAM 16GB Vengeance PSU Corsair HX750W SSD Samung 840 Evo 500GB + Corsiar Force 120GB + Samsung 840 250GB HDD 2x WD Blue 1TB + Seagate 2TB Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 Monitor Asus MG279 Headphones Sennheiser HD700 + Beyerdynamic T51p + Sennheiser ie80 Microphone Rode Podcaster  DAC/Amp Denon DA-USB300 + Schiit Valhalla