CPU too hot after enhancing airflow?

DBUndeR

Hi everybody,

I took most of my pc apart, in order to improve the cable management and the airflow at the cpu.

I put everything back together and now somehow when I start my cpu, it says the temperature is too hot.

Before I took it apart, it was running at 75 degrees at 4.3 ghz 1.350 vcore after 30 minutes full load.

Right at this moment I have it running at 2 ghz with 1.282 vcore @ 76 degrees.

Normally the pc gets pretty warm at these measured temperatures, but after 30 minutes of letting it in bios at ~75 degrees, I didn't feel any warmth. It felt like when I normally start the pc.

Could it be the bios itself that is making this temperature error? Whenever I start the pc I get cpu over temperature error, but when I actually enter the bios it goes down from 82 to ~75 degrees.

My settup:

I7 3930k 4.3 ghz 1.350 vcore (normally) now: ~2ghz 1.282 vcore

MB: p9 x99 asus

cpu cooler: NH D-14

RAM: 24gb at 1900 mhz

Arby The Raisin Boy ~ Utopia

Probably some sort of sensor error.

Roses are red, violets are blue, computers are awesome, and so are you!

I fixed the problem, I took the cooler on and off and now it's working correctly.

Did you re apply thermal paste?

please make sure you did this.. also ensuring your heatsink is seated properly helps

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Did you re apply thermal paste?

No, I need to buy new one.

Does is really matter that much?

Yes, it does.

You should change it every 6 months I guess...

Yes heat transfer to copper without it is poor! You MUST reapply thermal paste whenever you take a cooler off, or when you put a new cooler on!

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Yes heat transfer to copper without it is poor! You MUST reapply thermal paste whenever you take a cooler off, or when you put a new cooler on!

It's not like there's nothing on it, I just took the cooler off and on. Problem is that this cooler is so big that I need to take it off in order to get in some parts of my case. I'll be going for watercooling if I get the budget.

But I guess i'll buy new cooling paste and reapply it.

It's not like there's nothing on it, I just took the cooler off and on. Problem is that this cooler is so big that I need to take it off in order to get in some parts of my case. I'll be going for watercooling if I get the budget.

But I guess i'll buy new cooling paste and reapply it.

Taking it off breaks the original seal, making it work not nearly as well as fresh paste. The general consensus is to clean the cpu and the cooler, then reapply it. This should be done whenever the cooler is taken off of the cpu

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Taking it off breaks the original seal, making it work not nearly as well as fresh paste. The general consensus is to clean the cpu and the cooler, then reapply it. This should be done whenever the cooler is taken off of the cpu

I reapplied it today and it's working very good! thnx! I'm probably able to overclock a little higher. The rising of the temperature goes very slow.