New cooler needed

Gazgul

I'm looking for a new cpu cooler, my specs are Antec one hundred, i7 3820 oc'd, asrock extreme 4 x79 2011 mobo.

I have looked at looooaads of coolers and they seem to either be to big or not 2011...

IT MUST BE QUIET, IF NOT SILENT (this is key)

I have narrowed it down to

BeQuiet Dark Rock 2

and the

Thermalright Archon SB-E

Can you tell me if they would fit my case or not, as i tried measuring and i cant seem to get a good indication of true width inside the case.

What air cooler would you recommend if you dont like those two.

thanks for the help guys,

Gaz.

Supposedly the Antec One Hundred has 155mm for CPU coolers, which means the Archon is iffy. The Xbit labs review places it at exactly 155mm tall.

I'd probably go with the Dark Rock 2, just to be safe.

The DRP2 is something like 165mm tall. So it would not fit if you have only 155mm of space...

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

The DRP2 is something like 165mm tall. So it would not fit if you have only 155mm of space...

Are you talking about the dark rock pro 2? im talking about the dark rock 2, not the pro

Thanks for reply.

so the dark rock 2 is 97 x 138 x 166

and my case is only 155mm of cpu cooler room? DAMN, wich cooler should i buy???

Supposedly the Antec One Hundred has 155mm for CPU coolers, which means the Archon is iffy. The Xbit labs review places it at exactly 155mm tall.

I'd probably go with the Dark Rock 2, just to be safe.

My bad. The first couple of links I looked at showed it as 135mm, but apparently that wasn't measuring the entire cooler.

Look most good and quiet air coolers are tall. that is where your case is the issue, in which case just get a corsair h80 or something, they are about the same performance as the larger air coolers, actually the larger air coolers are slightly better, but they wont fit in your case.

Also if you do decide to upgrade your case down the road your can use the water cooler to cool your GPU with an adapter (they cost about $10), and then get one of the massive and quiet air coolers.

Look most good and quiet air coolers are tall. that is where your case is the issue' date=' in which case just get a corsair h80 or something, they are about the same performance as the larger air coolers, actually the larger air coolers are slightly better, but they wont fit in your case. Also if you do decide to upgrade your case down the road your can use the water cooler to cool your GPU with an adapter (they cost about $10), and then get one of the massive and quiet air coolers.[/quote']

thankyou,

Are water coolers quiet? since that is the key.

and what about h100 vs h80 etc etc....

If you care about quiet, you'd probably want to use your own fans anyway. I suppose you could always get one of Noctua's top-down coolers...You need to ask Noctua for a 2011 mount for the NH-C14, but I think the NH-L12 comes with one.

If you care about quiet' date=' you'd probably want to use your own fans anyway. I suppose you could always get one of Noctua's top-down coolers...You need to ask Noctua for a 2011 mount for the NH-C14, but I think the NH-L12 comes with one.[/quote']

Sweet,

What about these zalman coolers?

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=607

and

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=416

Here is what I usehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106150 it is farly large so i am unsure if it will fit, but it is an exelent cpu cooler, i only have one of the 2 fans attached and on the lowest speed which is quieter then my harddrives and idle temps are 35c and gaming is about 40-50, room temp is about 70F

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

If you care about quiet' date=' you'd probably want to use your own fans anyway. I suppose you could always get one of Noctua's top-down coolers...You need to ask Noctua for a 2011 mount for the NH-C14, but I think the NH-L12 comes with one.[/quote']

Sweet,

What about these zalman coolers?

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=607

and

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=416

The MAX *should* fit, but the DF would be cutting it a bit close. I seem to remember the DF wasn't particularly impressive and I'm finding conflicting reports on the MAX...One of the big complaints being it's noise level. Depends whether performance or aesthetics are your priority.