Steamroller AMD CPUs

This might be off topic, but I was wondering why AMD didn't release their Steamroller architecture as standalone CPUs? 

Their 8150 was just a year old when they updated it, and the 8350 was released in 2012. Both were rather disappointing, and as a result AMD has had a large performance gap from Intel. It seems dumb that AMD didn't release their Steamroller architecture to at least try to close the gap a little, or give AMD fanboys something to buy to update their old Piledrivers with. 

Instead they're gonna wait until early 2016 to release their chips, so the 8350 will be 4 years old by then, well and truly outdated, especially with Broadwell and Skylake coming to reduce power consumptions and put more distance between the companies.

(This is from someone who's going to buy an 8350 but wished there were other options within the same price bracket with 8 cores but slightly better single core performance)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

yes, there is a large performance gap between these two companies, but also a large price gap. i dont think its easy to take the steamroller architecture and take the gpu core out. its good that their taking the time. Architectures dont grow on trees. the difference between amd and intel is that amd are "only" 20k workers and intel 100k. and intel is putting so much money (and workers) in the R&d lab.

~Straw

i dont think its easy to take the steamroller architecture and take the gpu core out.

~Straw

Yeah, especially with the arrival of HSA.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Yeah, especially with the arrival of HSA.

now it comes. in two months their releasing the new fx cpus, which basically are steamroller apus with lil stronger cpu xD

Just kidding.

~Straw

This might be off topic, but I was wondering why AMD didn't release their Steamroller architecture as standalone CPUs? 

Their 8150 was just a year old when they updated it, and the 8350 was released in 2012. Both were rather disappointing, and as a result AMD has had a large performance gap from Intel. It seems dumb that AMD didn't release their Steamroller architecture to at least try to close the gap a little, or give AMD fanboys something to buy to update their old Piledrivers with. 

Instead they're gonna wait until early 2016 to release their chips, so the 8350 will be 4 years old by then, well and truly outdated, especially with Broadwell and Skylake coming to reduce power consumptions and put more distance between the companies.

(This is from someone who's going to buy an 8350 but wished there were other options within the same price bracket with 8 cores but slightly better single core performance)

Are you sure that's the way you want to go? Two years after its launch its only faster than a Haswell Core i3 in the most favorable of circumstances, and that i3 gives you a likely drop-in upgrade to a Broadwell i5 later on. No judgement here, just curious what you're doing where the FX-8350 will really be justified.

Are you sure that's the way you want to go? Two years after its launch its only faster than a Haswell Core i3 in the most favorable of circumstances, and that i3 gives you a likely drop-in upgrade to a Broadwell i5 later on. No judgement here, just curious what you're doing where the FX-8350 will really be justified.

I'm more of a tinkerer, and I want to be able to overclock and tinker with my CPU, and Intel doesn't allow that

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228915-new-700-build/#entry3133415

This is the thread for my build, I'm not quite set on the parts, but I like the 8350's good value in video editing and photo editing, as well as the fact that it has 8 cores so I can do more at once. I'm only using a R9 270, so I hope it doesn't get bottlenecked too much.

I know that the 8350, even overclocked to a great 5Ghz, can barely match up to an i3, nevermind i5 in gaming, and will run hotter and consume much, much more power.

(Also, I'm spending a whole lot on a nice cooler and case simply because I want a nice-looking computer, so an 8-core overclocked top-tier AMD processor will look good with that too)

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

I'm more of a tinkerer, and I want to be able to overclock and tinker with my CPU, and Intel doesn't allow that

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/228915-new-700-build/#entry3133415

This is the thread for my build, I'm not quite set on the parts, but I like the 8350's good value in video editing and photo editing, as well as the fact that it has 8 cores so I can do more at once. I'm only using a R9 270, so I hope it doesn't get bottlenecked too much.

I know that the 8350, even overclocked to a great 5Ghz, can barely match up to an i3, nevermind i5 in gaming, and will run hotter and consume much, much more power.

(Also, I'm spending a whole lot on a nice cooler and case simply because I want a nice-looking computer, so an 8-core overclocked top-tier AMD processor will look good with that too)

Just making sure you'd considered all the angles. Smart choice on the R9 270, you can literally turn it into a 270X with a simple overclock. Don't worry about bottlenecking, it will be fine.