ROG Swift and GTX 670

aurrorax

Best LTT members,

I have the following question : Will I be able to power and connect an ROG Swift to my Asus GTX 670 DCII Top (2-way SLI)

and actually have enough power to play games at 1440P?

Games I currently play :

Shadow of Mordor

World of Warcraft

Plannetary annihilation

The Crew

Skyrim

BF4

Arma III

I have searched around a bit and its quite hard to find a topic that is a decision maker for me, since I was looking into buying a ROG swift and it is alot of money so a choice that has to be made with caution :)

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know. But why wouldn't you upgrade your gpu/gpu's instead of buying that uber-expensive monitor.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I don't really know. But why wouldn't you upgrade your gpu/gpu's instead of buying that uber-expensive monitor.

Because I'm using a horrible Iijama 1080p monitor right now and I want to get rid of it.

At the moment those two cards are able to run any game on ultra at 60 FPS, atleast from what I've tried.

Because I'm using a horrible Iijama 1080 monitor right now and I want to get rid of it.

Still, just buy a better 1080p monitor. Also, just did some more thinking and the gpu's would probs get the job done, just not at a constant 60. You're looking at the 30-50 range there.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I would buy the ROG swift if you are set on it and run it at 1080p until you can get gtx 970 SLI for example.

I upgrade frequently, my GTX 670's are already for sale so I can upgrade those to a 980, keep that in mind.

I think u could run smoothly at Mid settings, so just run it for a while at Mid settings until u afford to upgrade ur GPU.

My rig:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB GDDR5

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO-Series 250GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB

Monitor: ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor

Cooling: Corsair CPU Cooler H100i

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Platinum Power Supply AX860i

PC Case: Corsair Graphite Series White 760T

I decided to make the jump to SLI for when I get a ROG Swift. I don't want to be turning down settings constantly to be able to run at 1440p.

I run my 1440p monitor with a single 670 :P Tried SLI with my brothers other 670 and it maxed out pretty much every game :D

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

Can I Suggest Something?

I Have A QNIX Perfect Pixel 1440P Monitor From Korea And It Is Beautiful Its Only 370 USD And I Have It Overclocked To 120Hz. Instead Of Getting The ROG Swift I Recommend You Get This Monitor And Go For A GTX 970 ( 330-400 USD) Or A 980 (550-600 USD). I Dont Think Getting The ROG Swift With Sli 660 Is Wise Because You Wont Average 90+ FPS On  Max In Some Games

Can I Suggest Something?

I Have A QNIX Perfect Pixel 1440P Monitor From Korea And It Is Beautiful Its Only 370 USD And I Have It Overclocked To 120Hz. Instead Of Getting The ROG Swift I Recommend You Get This Monitor And Go For A GTX 970 ( 330-400 USD) Or A 980 (550-600 USD). I Dont Think Getting The ROG Swift With Sli 660 Is Wise Because You Wont Average 90+ FPS On  Max In Some Games

I did some research into that monitor as I have the same question as OP. That QNIX monitor drops frames when overclocked creating an effect similar to 120 hz but cheating to get it. Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7931/qnix-qx2710leddport-review 

Similar to OP I have gtx 670 sli and am thinking of getting the Rog swift as well. Why this $1000 monitor and not a new video card? I expect massive gains from Nvidias next generation pascal. Maxwell seems totally flushed out at the moment as it has been out as laptop gpu architecture for almost a year and the best 980 is about 10-15% better than a 780 ti of the last generation. Not to mention directX 12 will be a factor in the next card. The g-sync capability should smooth out the picture from SLI as well but I have heard of some inconsistencies using sli with g-sync.

Monitors however do not need to be upgraded as frequently as GPUS and this one seems to be a keeper. WQHD at 144hz as well as g-sync should last through the times. I experienced a 4k monitor already and I feel even next generations graphics card will not have the power to push 4k with 144hz.  The only alternative to this caliber of a monitor is if another similar one comes out at a lower cost. Thoughts?

-Snip-

I Understand That The QNIX Monitor Drops Frames But It Doesnt For Me And If You Have a High End GPU Then Its Less Likely To Drop Frames. If 120Hz Cant Be Reached Then It Can Easily Do 96Hz. The ROG Swift Is A Great Monitor But Its Overpriced To Death And This Is A Decent Alternative. If OP Is Dead Set On getting The ROD Swift I Would Wait Time For More G-Sync Monitors To Come Out So The Prices Will Go Down.

• 2 weeks later...

I Understand That The QNIX Monitor Drops Frames But It Doesnt For Me And If You Have a High End GPU Then Its Less Likely To Drop Frames. If 120Hz Cant Be Reached Then It Can Easily Do 96Hz. The ROG Swift Is A Great Monitor But Its Overpriced To Death And This Is A Decent Alternative. If OP Is Dead Set On getting The ROD Swift I Would Wait Time For More G-Sync Monitors To Come Out So The Prices Will Go Down.

They are Asus GTX 670 DCII top, not 660's, and the DCII top models come with some pretty high clock speeds out of the box.

Can I Suggest Something?

Thanks for your suggestion, I am looking for a 1440P g-sync monitor, so that would not be possible