Just switched from iOS to Android. General Questions.

Hey guys,

I've used an iPhone 4 since it was released it's pretty beat up by now,
so I ordered an HTC one M8.

I have a few questions about the transition and need a few app suggestions.

1. is rooting the device essential?
2. is there an easy way to transfer all my contacts from Iphone to HTC?
3. are there any restrictions i need to circumvent (like the WiFi range restriction on the iPhone)
4. App suggestions: What are good apps to use for/as reddit, youtube, webbrowser, wardriving app, general wifi analysis, (offroad) navigation, f.lux, fast access to menue options (like sbsettings).
5. what are your general suggestions?
6. what are good options for a case and display protection?

The iPhone was my first smartphone and I had close to 0 experience with android, any comments on the transition?

1. No

4. es file explorer, twilight (flux for android), chrome, reddit is fun, stock google camera app

5. Dont drop it in water?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

1. no

4. chrome for your browser. really useful if you use your phone and pc and you want to open tabs from your pc to your phone or vice versa.

5. try launchers if you really want to customize you phone.

also, welcome to the forum :)

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

1. No

Using Google Contacts?

None that I know of

Google Drive, ES File Explorer, Evernote, Chrome for Android

Change out the launcher to something that you feel comfortable with... Personally, I use Smart Launcher.

Otterbox and iShield?

1. No, rooting is for when you want to have more access like completely uninstalling bloatware. Most things are free on the Play Store

2. Not that I know of, unless you synced it with your Google contacts or Gmail before.

3. None that I know of.

4. A flashlight app if the HTC One doesn't already have it in Widgets, Firefox/Chrome (your choice), Weathernetwork

5. Look for tips on how to optimize your battery or phone in general and customize it to how you want it to.

Rechargeable battery from Linus' Techquickie channel if you haven't already seen it

6. Screen protector

Zagg - http://www.zagg.com/

Been using Zagg for years, hasn't disappointed me, plus lifetime warranty.

Phantom Glass - http://www.phantom.glass/

Haven't tried but would like to, Linus has tried this brand though.

Case, Otterbox?

Hey guys,

I've used an iPhone 4 since it was released it's pretty beat up by now,

so I ordered an HTC one M8.

I have a few questions about the transition and need a few app suggestions.

1. is rooting the device essential?

2. is there an easy way to transfer all my contacts from Iphone to HTC?

3. are there any restrictions i need to circumvent (like the WiFi range restriction on the iPhone)

4. App suggestions: What are good apps to use for/as reddit, youtube, webbrowser, wardriving app, general wifi analysis, (offroad) navigation, f.lux, fast access to menue options (like sbsettings).

5. what are your general suggestions?

6. what are good options for a case and display protection?

The iPhone was my first smartphone and I had close to 0 experience with android, any comments on the transition?

1) No, but since I rooted my S4 and put cyanogenmod on it, I haven't looked back. I would recommend putting some thought in to it. (There are lots of great ROMs other than cyanogenmod).

2) I'm sure Google's, Microsoft's apps can do this. If not import them to your PC and then upload from there. It isn't too difficult.

3) No?

4) Reddit: Reddit Sync Pro is the best imo. YouTube: Stock app is fine. Browser: use what you use on your desktop, then you can sync however Chrome>Firefox on mobile. Wifi analysis is in settings. Don't use navigation.

5) Install cleanmaster and scan everyother week. It'll keep the temporary files to a minimum.

6) Get a nice screen protector, it's worth the investment, Linus did a video on one not too long ago. I personally don't use one anymore but on a new phone I always do. Wouldn't bother with a case personally, the phone is pretty solid and unless you're super clumsy or work on a building site you should be fine. If you do, go for an Otterbox Defender or Griffin Survivor, they're bulky but you won't damage your phone.

I'm also planning to switch to Android(Note 4) from my long in the tooth jailbroken 16gb 4s.  I've been using jailbroken ios since the 2G so switching to Android gives me a bit of an angst.   I've had it with Apple and their tech trickle business model.  It was good while it lasted, too bad Apple are not the innovation kings anymore.   There are a few games I will dearly miss once I make the switch....oh! well

Thank you guys for the tips and suggestions, i will look into cyanogenmod, if there is a video somwhere that explains what it does please let me know.

are there any cases around where with a hole where I can attach a (paracord) lanyard?