Cooling Setup for Carbide 500R

havok2191

Hey guys, 

I just recently bought a Carbide 500R to go along with my new Haswell build. I really like it so far but my current setup has the radiator inside my case and hardly any room to maneuver. The fans as a result are on top and are pushing air into the case which is kind of subpar since i would like them to push air out of the case

Using my crappy paint skills - here is a visual representation of whats happening now

currentconfig.png

This is what I want:

newconfig.png

I understand that this means I pop off the top mesh and keep everything out of the case. It seems possible but I would need some kind of fan splitters since the Z87 MPower Max doesn't seem to have too many. I would really like to do this provided I got cooler components since I will be doing air cooled SLI in the case.

What do you guys think?

I have the 500R and how you want it setup is similar to mine. Except my Rad is inside and the fans outside but still under the mesh so they pull air out of the case. You will get better temperatures on anything that is being watercooler by using a push-pull fan config.

I would however recommend putting a 140mm directed air flow fan on the floor of the case blowing air up into the case to help balance out the airflow and if the GPUs are being air cooled then this fresh air gets blown directly onto them. :)

Thank you for that excellent suggestion!

I would however recommend putting a 140mm directed air flow fan on the floor of the case blowing air up into the case to help balance out the airflow and if the GPUs are being air cooled then this fresh air gets blown directly onto them. :)

I don't mind that I will have fans sticking out of my case since both sets of fans and the radiator will be mounted outside