Choosing a Phone

SeventyPointThree

So I'm moving back to America this month and my mother will be moving in with me and my family.  I was wondering what kind of phone should I get here for light use?  Facbook, skype, and it has to be simple to use.  Any ideas?

Thanks

HTC one. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

HTC One M8. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

There is lots of phones

• Nexus 5
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus 
  • HTC One M8 
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Moto X
  • LG G3 
  • OnePlus One

Galaxy Note 4

Galaxy S5

Nexus 5

OnePlus One

Nexus 6

#buysamsung

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

G3, trust me, you will love it

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

Thank you, do you think 3 gb of data would be enough per month?

Should be, I never exceed 2 gigs myself, and I use data alot

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

In your original post you said which phone should you get "here" for light use. Did you mean her? Is the phone for you or your mom?

So I'm moving back to America this month and my mother will be moving in with me and my family.  I was wondering what kind of phone should I get here for light use?  Facbook, skype, and it has to be simple to use.  Any ideas?

For those types of uses you stated, it's pointless to shell out that much money for any of the phones stated here. Did anyone even read the OP?

Hands down 2nd gen Moto G

"Rawr XD"

For those types of uses you stated, it's pointless to shell out that much money for any of the phones stated here. Did anyone even read the OP?

Hands down 2nd gen Moto G

Totally agreed, Moto G is perfect for low usage smartphone. I loled at the people suggesting iPhones

Get one plus one or LG G3

HTC one.

HTC One M8.

There is lots of phones

• Nexus 5
  • iPhone 6
  • iPhone 6 Plus 
  • HTC One M8 
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 4
  • Samsung Galaxy S5
  • Moto X
  • LG G3 
  • OnePlus One

Galaxy Note 4

Galaxy S5

Nexus 5

OnePlus One

Nexus 6

#buysamsung

Light use?

Moto X.

iPhone, get the 5S or 6 to save a bit of $$$

G3, trust me, you will love it

Really?

I was wondering what kind of phone should I get here for light use?  Facebook, skype, and it has to be simple to use.

Stop suggesting $350+ phones

"Rawr XD"

Really?

Then maybe HTC Explorer.

Then maybe HTC Explorer.

No, not a phone that old! Moto G is new, but affordable. For light use, the second generation Moto G is impossible to beat like Aniallation mentioned already. Also, it's mostly stock android so easier to use than an OEM skinned version.

Really?

I was suggesting the original Moto X

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

There are plenty of inexpensive phones which are great for light use and won't break the bank while providing an excellent experience.

Android:

I suggest purchasing a Moto G, Hands down the best phone you can get under 200$ and if you can afford something a bit more expensive you can go ahead and purchase a Moto X 2nd generation.

iPhone:

The new iPhone 6 was released recently so there is alot of iPhone 5 and 5s smartphones on the ebay, craigslist and kijiji. If you feel comfortable purchasing a used phone I think you can find a great deal on an iPhone 5s which still is a great phone.

Blackberry:

There is a plethora of Blackberry Z10, Q10s on the market. You can easily get one of these phones for under 200$ and you can install the amazon appstore to load android apps. Unfortunately there is no native apps for google products. However, it's web browser is pretty darn good at HTML5 so using google products from the browser shouldn't provide you with any issues.

Windows Phone:

There are so many of these phones, It's hard to differentiate the shit from gold. Nokia has some outstanding phones and they excel at building a phone for your price range. However, Windows phone apps may be more limited than the platforms above. I would suggest sticking to one of the platforms above.

I was suggesting the original Moto X

Which is still $350+ new, a $180 Moto G2 would be much better for what OP wants to do

"Rawr XD"

I'm having a hard time wondering why everyone likes LG and Samsung phones they are horrible Samsung has touchwiz and locks down the bootloader on most networks. LG has bad quality phones and the ones I tried out at best buy were really laggy. The HTC one and one plus one are the best phones on the Android market along with the new moto x although the battery life isn't that great and the iPhone 6 is a decent phone too

I agree with the Samsung part, Touchwiz is horrible and bootloader is locked in American phones (not Canadian). LG phones seem laggy at the store but my dad has a G2 and it's really smooth, so I don't mind LG. However again, we're not looking for the best flagships on the market here, OP is looking for a good, cheap phone for basic tasks like Facebook and Skype

"Rawr XD"

I agree with the Samsung part, Touchwiz is horrible and bootloader is locked in American phones (not Canadian). LG phones seem laggy at the store but my dad has a G2 and it's really smooth, so I don't mind LG. However again, we're not looking for the best flagships on the market here, OP is looking for a good, cheap phone for basic tasks like Facebook and Skype

Meh could be worse. The lag many describe now a days is nothing compared to the Blackberrys of 2010 where they would freeze for 5 minutes opening up facebook. The new blackberrys don't have that problem anymore.