4770k Overclocking Guide

Newegg just released a 4770k overclock guide. Thought you guys might be interested. JJ is there as well for those people that like him.

EDIT: Linus released a video as well:

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Why do I even have subscriptions? Everyone just posts what I was going to watch anyway lol...

Thanks for sharing.

I have an MSI MPower Max and I used their own manuals and tutorials but hey the idea is the same. I was aiming for a relatively small OC (4.2GHz) to keep the temperatures low. MSI has a nice overclocking booklet and they list a nice step mechanism you can do to start out. So, let me just list it here so everyone can possibly benefit. 

Stock:

CPU

CPU Ratio: 35

CPU VCore Voltage: 0.8-1

Memory Frequency (MHz): DDR3-1333/DDR3-1600

RAM Voltage (V): 1.500

CPU Ring Voltage (V): 1.00

GPU (can be done in conjunction with CPU or you may leave it as is)

GT Frequency (MHz): 1250
GT Voltage (V): 0.001

If you want to OC safely then it is recommended you use an incremental method rather than just trying voltages and frequency.

Here is the incremental step:

CPU
CPU Ratio: +1
CPU VCore Voltage: +0.005
Memory Frequency (MHz): Depends on BCLK and DRAM ratio
RAM Voltage (V): +0.015 
CPU Ring Voltage (V): +0.005

GPU 
GT Frequency (MHz): +50
GT Voltage (V): 0.01

If you have RAM rated to run at 2000+Mhz, then you don't even need to increase voltage for small overclocks like this. Just a fair warning, your system is more unstable if you apply XMP and then try overclocking. You need to worry about the IMC interfering with your overclock. So, I guess stick with 1600-1866 at first then try increasing the RAM speed/voltage when your CPU clock is stable. 

I usually run Prime95 Blends for 30mins along with Unigine Heaven at 800x600+Tessellation to determine if the clocks are stable. I will post a picture if you guys want the entire table. 

DISCLAIMER: Don't kill your CPU and I will not be responsible if anything goes wrong. Be responsible

I enabled enhanced SpeedStep (C1E) to get better power consumption but idle temps in a hot room (24-25C) are around 29C and load temps can hit around 72C after 45 mins of Prime95 Blends+Unigine Heaven running in a window at the same time with the aforementioned settings.

Thanks for reading 

Btw good post, JJs info really helped me get some more insight. Hopefully I can go home today and really start poring over this. Im a nerd 8D

Linus just released a video too. I added it to the OP.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

My 4770k did 4.4ghz 1.2v at 90C max... with a h100i cooler on push pull... anything i'm doing wrong or did i just get a dud of an overclocker?

4.4Ghz with 1,2V isnt bad at all. I managed to hit 4.5Ghz @ 1.288V

You really need to tweak almost EVERYTHING instead of just going "oh let me increase the cpu multiplier and increase the voltage"

I touched the following:

VCCIN voltage - increased from 1.818V to 2.1V 

CPU Ring Voltage from auto to 1.250V

CPU Core Voltage from auto to 1.29V

DRAM Voltage to 1.500 for 1600Mhz

I kept the ring ratio 300mhz less than my multiplier (so that means is multi is 45 then ring ratio was 42) this is done to increase stability

Make sure EIST and C-states are disable because you are trying to find the upper bound. 

I hit temperatures in the mid to high 80s on a 20C ambient temperature day. I didn't really bother too much with the voltage - I could probably dial down. I'm using an H110 in push only. I am using the iGPU so perhaps that can be killing the overclock slightly. People have been mentioning something about touching the uncore but I need to look into that. 

Right now I'm sitting at 4.2Ghz with an undervolt of 1.15V in adaptive mode. 

Proof: http://imageshack.us/f/594/haswellstable45ghz129v.png/

High temps came from prime95, AIDA64 is crap for testing brute cpu instability - however, its great for overall stability