Difference between SP120 Static Pressure and SP120 LED ?

Go to solution Solved by DIV1D3,

One set has LEDs, and the other doesn't??

I'll check back with the CFM, dBA and static pressure. 

Edit:

The ones without the LEDs just have a higher RPM, which affects the CFM, mmH20 and audibility. 

If you have a rad that you are placing these fans on or in a restricted environment, then the ones without the LEDs will be ale to move more air, but with no restricts, or with very little restriction than an AF fan would be better. 

SP120 High Performance:

• 62.7 CFM
  • 3.1 mmH20
  • 35 dBA
  • 2350 RPM
  • 0.18 A

SP120 LED:

• 57.2 CFM
  • 1.46 mmH20
  • 26.4 dBA 
  • 1650 RPM
  • 0.26 A

Hey, i saw that there is 2 version of the Corsair SP120 fans, one with a plastic rig and one like the AF120 with LED. I actually have 2 AF120 Blue LED fans and planning to buy another AF120 LED Double pack and some SP120 for my H80i but i can't decide between these : http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan and these : http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-led-red-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan-twin-pack

What's the difference ? :huh:

The SP120 LEDs have a lower Static Pressure rating (1.46mm/H20) than the regular SP120 (3.1 mm/H2O).

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

One has LEDs, the other does not.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Edit:

The ones without the LEDs just have a higher RPM, which affects the CFM, mmH20 and audibility. 

If you have a rad that you are placing these fans on or in a restricted environment, then the ones without the LEDs will be ale to move more air, but with no restricts, or with very little restriction than an AF fan would be better. 

SP120 High Performance:

• 62.7 CFM
  • 3.1 mmH20
  • 35 dBA
  • 2350 RPM
  • 0.18 A

SP120 LED:

• 57.2 CFM
  • 1.46 mmH20
  • 26.4 dBA 
  • 1650 RPM
  • 0.26 A

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

The SP120 LEDs have a lower Static Pressure rating (1.46mm/H20) than the regular SP120 (3.1 mm/H2O).

Oh, is it important ?

One has LEDs, the other does not.

Thanks c'ptain obvious. :D

I'll check back with the CFM, dBa and static pressure. 

Okay. :P

Oh, is it important ?

Thanks c'ptain. :D

Yes, if you're going to be installing fans on a radiator, you want the fans to be able to push or pull air through those tight fins of the radiator, so you want a high static pressure. Although I'm not saying that the SP120 LEDs won't perform well, I'm just saying that they won't perform as well as the regular SP120.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Oh, is it important ?

Thanks c'ptain obvious. :D

Check my previous comment, I updated it, simply, the LED set can't move as much air as the other set because it operates at a lower RPM. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Check my previous comment, I updated it, simply, the LED set can't move as much air as the other set because it operates at a lower RPM. 

I would imagine also because of the different blade design the SP120 LEDs  have.

I would imagine also because of the different blade design the SP120 LEDs  have.

Would've thought that there would be a fin difference, as a lower RPM doesn't change the static pressure. Never noticed it. 

Or it does, I could just be spouting bs right now. 

Edit:

Just searched them both up, discovered that the LED version has 9 fins, whereas the standard ones have 7. So I'd guess that's what makes the difference. 

I don't have a Master's in Physics, so I have now idea what having less fins that are larger do. 

Hey, i saw that there is 2 version of the Corsair SP120 fans, one with a plastic rig and one like the AF120 with LED. I actually have 2 AF120 Blue LED fans and planning to buy another AF120 LED Double pack and some SP120 for my H80i but i can't decide between these : http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan and these : http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-led-red-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan-twin-pack

What's the difference ? :huh:

The LED SP120's are effectively SP120 Quiet Editions with LED's. This means less static pressure and lower noise because of lower max rpm. The High Performance Non-LED SP120 has better static pressure, higher max rpm and they also sound like jet engines. ;)

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Edit:

SP120 High Performance:

• 62.7 CFM
  • 3.1 mmH20
  • 35 dBA
  • 2350 RPM
  • 0.18 A

SP120 LED:

• 57.2 CFM
  • 1.46 mmH20
  • 26.4 dBA 
  • 1650 RPM
  • 0.26 A

Wow, thank you ! But if i'm buying SP120 fans i'm going for the quiet edition one without a doubt ;), thx again for the detailed answer !

Yes, if you're going to be installing fans on a radiator, you want the fans to be able to push or pull air through those tight fins of the radiator, so you want a high static pressure. Although I'm not saying that the SP120 LEDs won't perform well, I'm just saying that they won't perform as well as the regular SP120.

So Regular SP120 > SP120 LED

The LED SP120's are effectively SP120 Quiet Editions with LED's. This means less static pressure and lower noise because of lower max rpm. The High Performance Non-LED SP120 has better static pressure, higher max rpm and they also sound like jet engines. ;)

Seems like the SP120 quiet edition are better. :P

Thank you everyone

Wow, thank you ! But if i'm buying SP120 fans i'm going for the quiet edition one without a doubt ;), thx again for the detailed answer !

-snips for days-

Thank you everyone

No problem. 

I recon the standard ones are better than the LEDs, just because the fin design and the higher RPM (you can just make them quiet editions by adjusting the fan curve, afaik).

No problem. 

I recon the standard ones are better than the LEDs, just because the fin design and the higher RPM (you can just make them quiet editions by adjusting the fan curve, afaik).

Okay :D thx

• 10 months later...

one other difference is that the sp120 with leds don't have 4 pin pwm control so therefore you can't really manage the speeds without plugging the fans directly onto the motherboard