Black screen few seconds after starting a game, stress test

Go to solution Solved by Archer.pl,

The card was overheating because of dried and pushed to the sides of the core thermal paste. After putting Arctic Cooling MX-2 everything works perfectly fine (max 64C with fan on 24% after few minutes of Furmark). Probably didn't needed a new PSU, but it could be useful for the future and OC.

I've bought a used card - ASUS 7950 DCU2 TOP. At idle everything is ok, but few seconds after starting a game or AIDA64 stress test the screen goes black (no signal), the computer is still working, fans go back to idle setting. When it arrived I tryied to test it on not so powerfull PSU - Aerocool VP-450, so I was thinking it is it's fault. I bought a new PSU - be quiet! Pure Power L8 600W - that I think should be enough. The problem has not gone. I tried every PCI-E plug combination, reinstaled Catalyst CC, but I still get the black screen. Could something else be wrong, other than faulty graphics card?

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500k
  • Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
  • GPU: ASUS Radeon HD7950 DirectCU 2 TOP 3GB GDDR5 384-bit

Sorry for any errors, English isn't my native language.

is it set at the right resolution

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Black screen sounds like driver crashing . Would you be so kind to re-install it ? 

Is the card OCd ? 

@thekeemo

My screen resolution is 1400x900. Games crashes few seconds after starting, I don't even get to the menu.

@Si3Rra_7

I did it already, normal uninstalling and installing didn't help.

No, the card is not OC'ed, even when I downclock it to the minimum value available it's still giving me black screen.

Try removing the driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (safe mode).

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Try removing the driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (safe mode).

It didn't help. :(

First, Why are running vista? Second, uninstall the drivers and install the latest stable version not the beta.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Some cards really hate running at some resolutions, that could be the issue, Id try finding another TV/monitor to test it on in 1080P 

other than that, make sure that no other drivers are installed for any other graphics cards. drive conflicts could cause crashes

also try installing (or re installing if you already have it) the AMD Catalyst Control Center, itll give you control panel options you might need to change :)

hope it helps :)

@MYSTICmayonaise

Still getting black screen even on 1080p TV connected via HDMI.

A second before black screen I can see small artefacts and the fans are on very high RPMs.

Could something else than faulty card be causing it? I reinstalled drivers two times and the resolution also isn't the problem.

Any ideas?

If not I must complain abaut the card to the seller.

Could be overheating? can you run something like CoreTemp or GPUTemp and get it to log see if the Temps spike? 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

• 2 weeks later...

The card was overheating because of dried and pushed to the sides of the core thermal paste. After putting Arctic Cooling MX-2 everything works perfectly fine (max 64C with fan on 24% after few minutes of Furmark). Probably didn't needed a new PSU, but it could be useful for the future and OC.