buying from usa?

Prokart2000

hi guys

just i quick question

if i buy from the us and ship to the uk, do i have to pay tax and vat?

thanks

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I was wondering this too! :P

yeah cos if the surface pro 4 comes out it would be good for my sixth form/collage but its alot cheaper in america

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Yes you need to pay import taxes and vat. That's why the prices are so different. Once you add everything up it comes to pretty much the same thing unless something is on sale.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You will most likely have to pay import tax (or some equivalent tax), which may account for the price difference. It's always best to buy from a UK retailer.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

hi guys

just i quick question

if i buy from the us and ship to the uk, do i have to pay tax and vat?

thanks

I'm not sure about UK policies but I live in Canada and most things bought new from a legitimate US retailer will have no taxes applied on purchase but the way it works is pretty fuc**y. Here it is.

Purolator of Fedex, or any other private shipping company will have to pay taxes on the value of the product at the border because it is stopped there for importation control. The carrier will pay those fees and you will have to reimburse them when you get the package plus pay a fixed charge they call a brocker's fee, which is basically a penalty for them "lending" you that money. That fee alone is something like 35$.

Importations from certain countries get more attention at borders than others from other countries. Some countries will get taxed right away at the border, some won't. I know UK is also a country where if you buy from there, expect to pay taxes at reception. Korean monitors  bought on ebay, on the other hand, are known to run through the border unseen.

If you want to send something to someone without them having to pay border taxes, you have to specify it's a gift or something not related to sales. I had to do this when I sent a few GPUs back to California based manufacturers for RMA, to avoid them having to pay taxes on the packages. 

Best thing is to go on your border control's website or call them or shipping carriers directly, as this is what I had someone in charge explain to me.

Spoiler

ffs i hate the uk for taxes

Spoiler