Huge FPS gains on PCIe 3.0 vs 2.0 @ 1080p in rFactor 2

Did they plug the Monitor into the motherboard or something?

my friend did that he has two 780's he said he was playing rust off mobo and it was smooth hes not a very smart man

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

Looks like BS marketing to be honest. That 3930k and that platform is fine. More than fine. Spend the money on new GPU's or a 4k monitor or beer.

I know you can get "the itch", but those 2011 Sandy's still kick ass.

-thanks!

I do like the "ol" sandy-e. As soon as I feel comfortable with a socket, whooooosh! New one. Going from 1366 x58 to sandy e seemed like a big deal...those early 920s were tough to OC.

I kinda got burned by green team /w their v-caps (MSI Lightning 780) but hey...dems the brakes.

I was lucky- got 64GB quad channel DDR3 (1600/Corsair kit) at the time for $380 (Not fer gaming). Couldn't imagine spending $1000(?) on the new stuff.

More SSDs and a 9xx GTX sometime (Christmas promo?) maybe...

I finally saw a 4K "TV" today, some fancy curved thing. Was kinda cool.

As for the next "it's time" upgrade, that'll be when a single GPU can run 4K on ultra. A bit down ze road, no hurry. I'm still working on mass effect 2!

Ty

-thanks!

I do like the "ol" sandy-e. As soon as I feel comfortable with a socket, whooooosh! New one. Going from 1366 x58 to sandy e seemed like a big deal...those early 920s were tough to OC.

I kinda got burned by green team /w their v-caps (MSI Lightning 780) but hey...dems the brakes.

I was lucky- got 64GB quad channel DDR3 (1600/Corsair kit) at the time for $380 (Not fer gaming). Couldn't imagine spending $1000(?) on the new stuff.

More SSDs and a 9xx GTX sometime (Christmas promo?) maybe...

I finally saw a 4K "TV" today, some fancy curved thing. Was kinda cool.

As for the next "it's time" upgrade, that'll be when a single GPU can run 4K on ultra. A bit down ze road, no hurry. I'm still working on mass effect 2!

Ty

Well you can downsample ME 2 from 4k with Gedosato tool or the Nvidia Control Panel :)

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/243rp4/8k_mass_effect_2/

4 k is very doable on most mid end cards. I am gonna try higher when my R9 290 comes this week. Can't wait. VRAM takes a big hit at these big resses downsampling and my 2 GB VRAM wasn't cutting it.

There is also texture packs and some ini changes in ME 1 helps make it WAY prettier.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2282965

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Well you can downsample ME 2 from 4k with Gedosato tool or the Nvidia Control Panel :).

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/243rp4/8k_mass_effect_2/

4 k is very doable on most mid end cards. I am gonna try higher when my R9 290 comes this week. Can't wait. VRAM takes a big hit at these big resses downsampling and my 2 GB VRAM wasn't cutting it.

There is also texture packs and some ini changes in ME 1 helps make it WAY prettier.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2282965

Ok...whoa- forgive my ignorance on the subject! I use my 'puter as an audio workstation- ME is one of those games I love, it's alone, being the only game on the sys.

What is this 4k d-sampling +texture pack alchemy you speak of??? That actually tweaked my brow! I'll look it up. What would be possible in the mass effect graphics world with the current set up I have now?

780/3930k 4.6 stable. The GPU is a slight OC +175 core/+500 mem.

(excited!)

(I'm going to 'toob the stuff, see what I've been missing)

Thanks...

(Whoa, just clicked on the link

8K ME??)

Whooa

Aaaahhh, Unless you are driving a W9100 with a custom Radeon firmware.

Oh wait, that would be fucking awesome. Someone make this happen.

It just the game guys.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Ok...whoa- forgive my ignorance on the subject! I use my 'puter as an audio workstation- ME is one of those games I love, it's alone, being the only game on the sys. What is this 4k d-sampling +texture pack alchemy you speak of??? That actually tweaked my brow! I'll look it up. What would be possible in the mass effect graphics world with the current set up I have now? 780/3930k 4.6 stable. The GPU is a slight OC +175 core/+500 mem. (excited!) (I'm going to 'toob the stuff, see what I've been missing) Thanks... (Whoa, just clicked on the link 8K ME??) Whooa

Yeah Mass Effect maxed out at 1080p on a GTX 260, so if you have a decent GPU you should be able to downsample from 4 k to 1080/1440p pretty easily. People have tried 8 k on middle end cards but it ran too slow. 

The CPU, don't worry about that you are set :).

Downsampling can be done a few ways. Gedosato works on many older games like Mass Effect, old AC's. You can also do this. Dark Souls 2 is another game that looks pretty damn good downsampled (which is why Nvidia showed it with DSR).

The texture packs on games often work with textmod. They have an official thread on Bioware forums on the texture mods. Downsampling is just something a lot of people don't know about, but are about to discover with Nvidia DSR. DSR is no better it just integrates it into an "option". They said they are bringing it to the older series, and I imagine AMD will bring it to gaming evolved. 

Anyways have a blast. :) Those games still look pretty damn good with downsampling and texture packs.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to tell me about the stuff.

Any recommendations for games that have similar quality of plot/character development e.g., ME1-2 (Still haven't played 3...and have somehow avoided what the "terrible" conclusion is all about)?

Aside from Dragon-Age Uno...I'm in 2011 as far as games go. I tried bio shock inf. and it didn't do it for me. The sound (music/incidental music) for the ME games is...stellar stuff.

For all I don't know there could be a mass effect (but not mass effect) quality-like game I'm totally unaware of. The run-gun stuff is where all the dev time/budgets have gone, not my tea-cup. I think one of the big reasons for ME1 being the game it was, was that, if I remember...it wasn't a AAA title, hence the extra latitude allotted to bio-folks re: exercising creative endeavor not "allowed" /a AAA titles.

I think many ppl have thought this: if I had stupid $$$, I'd pick the cream o crop designers, throw a Michael Bay stupid amount of cash at 'em and let them do whatever it is they do, unimpeded by demographically determined template style slush.

All that said, I haven't seen what a post 2011 game (with my setup which is 1080p) really looks like...

recommendations?

Hey, thanks for taking the time to tell me about the stuff.

Any recommendations for games that have similar quality of plot/character development e.g., ME1-2 (Still haven't played 3...and have somehow avoided what the "terrible" conclusion is all about)?

Aside from Dragon-Age Uno...I'm in 2011 as far as games go. I tried bio shock inf. and it didn't do it for me. The sound (music/incidental music) for the ME games is...stellar stuff.

For all I don't know there could be a mass effect (but not mass effect) quality-like game I'm totally unaware of. The run-gun stuff is where all the dev time/budgets have gone, not my tea-cup. I think one of the big reasons for ME1 being the game it was, was that, if I remember...it wasn't a AAA title, hence the extra latitude allotted to bio-folks re: exercising creative endeavor not "allowed" /a AAA titles.

I think many ppl have thought this: if I had stupid $$$, I'd pick the cream o crop designers, throw a Michael Bay stupid amount of cash at 'em and let them do whatever it is they do, unimpeded by demographically determined template style slush.

All that said, I haven't seen what a post 2011 game (with my setup which is 1080p) really looks like...

recommendations?

Knights of the Old Republic is an old game but it was my favorite from Bioware. :) That game engine is really dated but I still play it once a year prob. There is a widescreen mod for that and a texture pack from a German guy, but you can only take such an old game engine so far.

Witcher 1 and 2 are also really good. Witcher 1 is on a really old game engine to. 2 still looks really good.

But yeah Mass Effect 1 hit it out of the park. 2 lost some RPG elements but was like a sci fi Dirty Dozen and I was ok with it. The DLC was pretty good in 2 as well. Shadow Broker, Kasumi, Arrival, Zaeed and Overlord were all good. ME 3 ? Well I will let you make your own mind up about that if you haven't played it. MEHE ending mod is always an option though :). 3rd game had a different lead writer (Mac Walters by himself). There were still some very good parts written by Patrick Weekes but the Mac Walters main plotline I wasn't a fan of.

Leviathan DLC was ok I guess. Prothean character (from the ashes) you are definitely gonna want. Citadel DLC was well done.  Omega was decent. Basically ME2 and ME3 without DLC are not complete games, which garnered a lot of criticism. 3 starts off with the assumption that you played Arrival pretty much from 2. From the Ashes and Leviathan should have come with the game. Omega is how DLC should be. Outside storyline not connected to the plot. Add to this the two companion characters from ME2 that were DLC have parts in 3 and Citadel, so you pretty much want all of them.

If you like turn based RPG (some people hate it). Divinity Original Sin is very good. It is like the old Baldur's Gates from Bioware. Some of the old Lucas Arts games and Sierra games were fun when I was a kid. Day of the Tentacle was pretty funny. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was good. Those might be freeware by now.

SWTOR the Agent and Knight and Scoundrel story were pretty good, but if you hate leveling, you may not enjoy it. I wouldn't say SWTOR is a great mmo but those sub stories were pretty decent, especially imperial agent. Knight was like their Kotor 3, but like I said. Leveling may turn you off. Leveling might also be too slow on free to play, I haven't tried it. 

Hmmm. Seems like we like similar games.

Day of the Tentacle. Laughed my ass off. Lucas-arts had a few years where they did no wrong. I really like turn based RPGs, no j/RPGs though, mythology/culturally relevant subtilizes don't translate well, some goofy stuff. I think I lost half a year of my life playing x-com. Planescape-Torment is probably one of (as I remember it) the deeper, intense RPGs I remember. I'll have to check out Divinity Original Sin...

As DLC goes for ME2-3, I forget how it goes- does one buy all the add ons then start as a new Shepard to get all the story out of the ME universe? Or is it play through, then DLC then play again? Also is their an AIO boxed edition /w all the DLC? I know patches are inevitable but I realllllly don't like interwebz background services mucking things up.

Duh! I just remembered, I did buy Witcher 2, it's still in the shink wrap somewhere (always had a thing, 1 game at a time).

The two main writers quit after ME3 correct?

Oh yeah- Kotor 1. That was the game which "re" gamed me after a decade+ of no gaming...it went like this:

Space Raiders->Atari 800->Ultima II, III and IV. PC->Ultima V, blade runner, other things...I think the big end was fallout 1 era. (Still one of my favorite opening/intros). I did do Sierra stuff...and early interplay. Out of this World, more action blew me away, I remember it was "the show off game", ppl would come over and woooo out "It's a frigging movie!".

I did notice when playing a bit of ME2, the cut scenes look clunky vis a vis the gameplay.

That was 100% idiocy...when ME1 came out and fox-news did a spot about "inter-species sex gaming for your kids". Best response from bio-guy: "uh. Anyone [on this panel] play the game?" "no". Heh.

The state of games now mirrors Hollywood...crazy budgets=transformers 6. Zero story.

Odd thing which should be happening soon (in a few years when gaming rig graphic-ability ~ parity with Hollywood/Real-time fx) is the reverse. Hollywood not making movies from games (done) but Hollywood taking lessons from the games.

Hopefully (?) The industry won't dupe that aspect...Call of Battle Field 10 etc.

Good touchstone for a all this is ye olde Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel.

I thought ME (Kotor too) would have Series-Franchise Novel "quality" writing but I was proven wrong...maybe no Hugo-Nebula material writing but- and I'd say this often- when someone would ask

"What's the best movie you've seen past few years?"

"Kotor...and Mass Effect"

"Huh? Missed those".

Fallout 1 being the iso-turn based masterpiece it was, didn't translate into "movie" experience but I gotta say, it's a huge accomplishment, after playing it thru having that epic-story immersion experience linger.

Hmmm....Divinity O Sin...

Heh heh

Snip

Yeah me and you pretty much have the same tastes. I bought all the DLC as they came out, but it would prob be better with a re playthrough on 2 before 3 unless you are only like half way. You can grab the companions at any time.

It is nice to have the companion DLC early though cus they have unique dialogue. They don't have conversations like the other crew members but they say random things when you enter the room. With Kasumi you get a bar. Shadow Broker I think can be done at any time and was very well done. Arrival was after the end I think and sets up the third game. Overlord was prob my favorite as a contained story (and I wish all DLC was like that one, in that it isn't something taken from the game or main plot line), but some might hate the vehicle. 

ME3? Yeah I will let you make up your mind about it. Basically no Drew Karpyshyn on 3. I don't want to spoil anything though. There were some parts I really liked about 3 (basically everything Mac Walters didn't write), but some not so much.

Basically all the DLC is good from 2 on. The weps and outfits meh. Prob have better mods than those. Citadel also makes 3 a lot more bearable for "reasons" and we didn't have access to it when the game launched.

hmmm. As far as downscaling goes, how does this fit in with newer games played @ 1080p?

Would a 970/980 suffice with all the goodies turned up?

Ty

ITT: Not about rFactor2. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

My eyes the blue hurts my eyes  :o

I just liked for your sig  :D

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

hmmm. As far as downscaling goes, how does this fit in with newer games played @ 1080p?

Would a 970/980 suffice with all the goodies turned up?

Ty

Depends on the game. 4k downsampling on Mordor can get you a locked 30 on my R9 290 with a OC. 1440p is much more enjoyable though as far as frame rate imo. The game looks very good at 1440p and the FPS is great to. Uses around 3.6 GB of ram max on my GPU and only setting I have down is the 6GB Ultra Textures pack. At 4k on those settings I am maxed out on VRAM so I imagine you want a 4GB card for these newer titles.

The AMD's are a little bit better at it at 4k (memory bandwidth), but the 980 isn't that far behind. The 970 is quite a bit behind, See Ryse benchmarks of 1.5x1.5 and 2.5x2.5 supersamplings. That is 1440p and 4k. In Mordor hit the resolution arrow to the right to do it. It is very cool these newer games have these settings in the game itself.

To get 4k downsampling in new games you pretty much want dual cards to be close to 60 fps. The older games? One of those GPU's can easily do it. Prob could do 40 fps in a lot of new games as well that aren't as ambitious as Mordor/Ryse. Also Nvidia has DSR so this is a little easier on the 9xx series cards, without having to go through third party utilities. Both AMD and Nvidia can be a good choice for it, depending on 1 or 2 cards and ease of use atm. I went AMD cus I am used to using gedosato etc. No big deal to me. A few more FPS is :).

Just what I can contribute from my experience with this. My brother and me have kinda similar systems. He has a new 1150 asus h97 pro with a xeon 1231v3, my system in sig. The thing is, I often get better FPS (only slightly) than he does. He uses PCIe 3.0 and I only 2.0. If the bus was a limitation mine should be worse. His cpu is probably suffering from the lower clock speed (I am exaggerating here, it is not really suffering anything).

Everything else is the same in our systems, same ssd, same ram, same gpu.

So yeah.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

• 3 weeks later...

Deathjester- hello!

Finally got time to load up ME 2 and am enjoying it "lots". I had a maths question (and am horrible at the maths!).

I installed the higher-Rez textures thru texture(?) and the NPC packs.

Now...it's time to test out downsampling.

1st ?- Does the Nvidia Settings software suffice or does something better exist?

A lot of pixel-density/technical parlance I don't understand. This is in the custom Rez menu.

Here's (ostensibly) what seems important and reveals my excellent maths-a-ability (or anything numbers related).

My monitor is 1920x1200. Question is, what would be the "2k/4k" equivalents to enter into the d/sampling fields?

Most ppl=taking 2560x1440/1600 (If those are incorrect, pretend they're the "2k" standard rez'zd out on monitors these days).

Buuuut, methinks those 2k (and 4k) "standard" horizontal-vertical resolutions are being scaled down to 1920x1080, not 1920x1200...which seems a problem.

The graphics (to me) still look crazy good. I walk past boutique computer stores running mega SLI Super-Frostbite stuff and it doesn't impress me much. I look at metro last light + new gen sli-setups on 4k screens... fluctuating 75-29 FPS. It looks awlful. 2K or 1080p with everything on full blast with a 60fps constant looks much better to my eye.

Man, if Kotor has some downsampling/mods up it sleeve, gunna have to re-visit.

Anyway! Do know either of the top of your head or a resource which details proper scaling down to 19XX-1200 Rez? And perhaps some guide explaining what the technical-I-don't-understand-it stuff is re: "pixel-re-size-pitch XYZABC"?

Thanks!

Deathjester- hello!

Finally got time to load up ME 2 and am enjoying it "lots". I had a maths question (and am horrible at the maths!).

I installed the higher-Rez textures thru texture(?) and the NPC packs.

Now...it's time to test out downsampling.

1st ?- Does the Nvidia Settings software suffice or does something better exist?

A lot of pixel-density/technical parlance I don't understand. This is in the custom Rez menu.

Here's (ostensibly) what seems important and reveals my excellent maths-a-ability (or anything numbers related).

My monitor is 1920x1200. Question is, what would be the "2k/4k" equivalents to enter into the d/sampling fields?

Most ppl=taking 2560x1440/1600 (If those are incorrect, pretend they're the "2k" standard rez'zd out on monitors these days).

Buuuut, methinks those 2k (and 4k) "standard" horizontal-vertical resolutions are being scaled down to 1920x1080, not 1920x1200...which seems a problem.

The graphics (to me) still look crazy good. I walk past boutique computer stores running mega SLI Super-Frostbite stuff and it doesn't impress me much. I look at metro last light + new gen sli-setups on 4k screens... fluctuating 75-29 FPS. It looks awlful. 2K or 1080p with everything on full blast with a 60fps constant looks much better to my eye.

Man, if Kotor has some downsampling/mods up it sleeve, gunna have to re-visit.

Anyway! Do know either of the top of your head or a resource which details proper scaling down to 19XX-1200 Rez? And perhaps some guide explaining what the technical-I-don't-understand-it stuff is re: "pixel-re-size-pitch XYZABC"?

Thanks!

Gedosato would be the way to go for Mass Effects and a lot of DX 9 games cus a R9 290/GTX 970/80 can run some of those past 4k. For DX 11 games Nvidia DSR or custom resolutions. 

go to edit settings in gedosato. You would just x4 for 4k of your height and width. First settings are custom resolutions u want available. Next subheading is your native. You can create your own resolutions and they should show up in the game. Then just put your native monitor in the empty fields. Then last step go to mouse settings and set first two settings to true, which should fix mouse problems.

To take screenshots go to edit keybindings and remove the # from any keybindings you want to use. / is default I think for screenshot. Will save in the Gedosato folder.

Here is a gallery of my me 1/2 and 5.2 k at Bicubic (setting in Gedosato) with no AA. ME4 I just did 4k with AA and lancztor (think that is how you spell it lol). UI is too small to read past that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127177328@N03/