Is it a complete hassle draining a loop to add something new?

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

Thanks, that looks ideal! How would that build into a CPU only loop then? You mentioned "at the bottom" can you give more detail? 

You place one at the lowest possible point in your loop (ideally on or below the reservoir so that when you open the valve most of the liquid just flows out. 

One of the simplest ways would be with a T-fitting on the reservoir. For example, you connect the T-fitting to the reservoir with a male-to-male G1/4 fitting on one side, one side has another compression fitting and tubing to continue on in the loop and the final end of the T-fitting has the mini-valve connected to with another male-to-male G1/4 fitting. When not using the mini-valve you keep it closed and put a stop fitting on the drain end. 

500x1000px-LL-747e756e_IMG_4533.jpeg

I am quite keen to start my new build which is all mostly available to buy (core components), however there's some parts I'd like to get later on that I would like to add to the custom loop I'm going to make.

My question is, if I setup the rig with the loop just cooling the CPU initially, and then later when a EK GTX 970 water block (when becomes available to buy) and I add that to the loop, is draining the loop a real ball-ache or is it not such a pain to do? 

1. Should I just wait for the GPU Water block to become available and do the loop then? 
  2. Or is drainage an easy enough task to do to allow me to add the GPU water block and additional rad to the loop later on?

Cheers

draining is annoying

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

draining is annoying

I see. But is it something that should be avoided where possible, or could I still consider it as an option? 

I see. But is it something that should be avoided where possible, or could I still consider it as an option? 

Consider an option but i dont jump at the prospect of having to do it, however ive only done it once and that was for a customer, it might be more enjoyable if its for your own pc.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I am quite keen to start my new build which is all mostly available to buy (core components), however there's some parts I'd like to get later on that I would like to add to the custom loop I'm going to make.

My question is, if I setup the rig with the loop just cooling the CPU initially, and then later when a EK GTX 970 water block (when becomes available to buy) and I add that to the loop, is draining the loop a real ball-ache or is it not such a pain to do? 

1. Should I just wait for the GPU Water block to become available and do the loop then? 
  2. Or is drainage an easy enough task to do to allow me to add the GPU water block and additional rad to the loop later on?

Cheers

Draining is not too much of a hassle but it's not something you want to be doing more than 4x times a year IMO. Build the CPU only loop, drain it and add the GPU when the water block becomes available. It's not that much of a hassle that you have to wait. 

You can make draining your loop easier by using quick disconnects and a highly recommended drain valve at the bottom of your loop.

Bitspower%20Black%20Sparkle%20Mini%20Val

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

it really depends on the case and setup

one of the reasons people love caselabs - it's not only easy to build in, it's easy to work on

I absolutely DREADED working on my Thermaltake Urban T81 - my caselabs? I've drained it to work on it for the smallest of things just because it was so easy

Draining is not too much of a hassle but it's not something you want to be doing more than 4x times a year IMO. Build the CPU only loop, drain it and add the GPU when the water block becomes available. It's not that much of a hassle that you have to wait. 

You can make draining your loop easier by using quick disconnects and a highly recommended drain valve at the bottom of your loop.

Bitspower%20Black%20Sparkle%20Mini%20Val

Thanks, that looks ideal! How would that build into a CPU only loop then? You mentioned "at the bottom" can you give more detail? 

it really depends on the case and setup

one of the reasons people love caselabs - it's not only easy to build in, it's easy to work on

I absolutely DREADED working on my Thermaltake Urban T81 - my caselabs? I've drained it to work on it for the smallest of things just because it was so easy

I'll be building my loop into at Corsair 600T case. The spec of the loop is; 

• EK-Supremacy EVO (Original CSQ) CPU Water Block
  • EK-D5 Vario X-RES 140 including Water Cooling Pump
  • Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 240mm x2
  • Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Focused Flow PWM Cooling Fan (x4 in push)
  • 3.3m Masterkleer, 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD Hose, Clear
  • Phobya 62147 13/10mm (10x1,5mm) screw-on fitting outer thread 1/4 

cheers

You place one at the lowest possible point in your loop (ideally on or below the reservoir so that when you open the valve most of the liquid just flows out. 

One of the simplest ways would be with a T-fitting on the reservoir. For example, you connect the T-fitting to the reservoir with a male-to-male G1/4 fitting on one side, one side has another compression fitting and tubing to continue on in the loop and the final end of the T-fitting has the mini-valve connected to with another male-to-male G1/4 fitting. When not using the mini-valve you keep it closed and put a stop fitting on the drain end. 

500x1000px-LL-747e756e_IMG_4533.jpeg

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Ah I see, nice one! I'll have a look into one of those  ;)