How much of a temperature increase should I expect when overclocking?

I have an i5 2500k, currently running at stock speeds. I currently have a Hyper 212 Evo for CPU cooling, and get around 20c idle temps, 30-40c while gaming. If I overclocked my 2500k to 4.0 GHz how much of a temperature increase should I expect? What about 4.5 GHz? Just curious if I'd need to worry about temps if I overclocked, or if I'd be fine doing so with my current cooling.

It all depends on how much you increase the voltage to your CPU. move volts=more heat. Don't push it too far though, 1.5 volts is pushing it. Since the 2500k is a SB arch chip it will fare better then IB, so if you can find a good IB guide then you should be able to do what that guide does and a tad bit more.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

It all depends on how much you increase the voltage to your CPU. move volts=more heat. Don't push it too far though' date=' 1.5 volts is pushing it. Since the 2500k is a SB arch chip it will fare better then IB, so if you can find a good IB guide then you should be able to do what that guide does and a tad bit more.[/quote']

What voltage should I run it at for running around 4 GHz?

You can do 4 Ghz at stock voltage. If not 1.125v

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

You can do 4 Ghz at stock voltage. If not 1.125v
Okay, thanks.

With the 212 Evo, you can get 4.2 (with increased voltage), maybe 4.4 GHz depending on whether you got a good chip. 4GHz is a very safe OC and you will not be required to raise the voltage. You might see a slight temperature increase, but as long as it's below 70C you'll be fine, really.

If you have a decent chip, you can get to 4.5ghz at about 1.3v, temps should be at about 60-65c under Prime95.