Does it make sense to buy an ethernet splitter?

tornados2111
Go to solution Solved by Tycho,

@Tycho @tomlambert01 @cishnureddy17 Thanks for the help. It seems like it's a lot easier to buy just 2 cables separately and run them through. My only final question is that if these 2 cables are running next to each other for part of the house, can this cause any intereference or anything? Thanks again

no, the current in an ethernet cable is way to low for any serious interference that you would notice

Hey guys, I really lack knowledge in this area. I'm trying to get ethernet wired internet to both mine and my dad's computer. Instead of running to cables through the entire house, would it make sense to buy a splitter like one of these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-X-Ethernet-Splitter-Rj45-Adaptor-Cat5-6-Pc-Connector-Network-LAN-Pc-Plug-UK-/351183721619?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item51c42e5493

First off I am a bit puzzled about how this works... in fact you simply plug a normal ethernet into it (which is supposed to be made for 1 ethernet connection) and magically divides into 2? Can 1 cable really send signal for what's 2 computers?

Also, does this have any effect on signal strength? A consistent internet connection is the reason we are doing this after all.. Are there any downsides to doing this?

Or should I just buy 2 separate ethernet cables and separately connect them to our PCs.

Thanks very much guys

Do you mean an Ethernet switch? There is usually no noticeable difference except maybe in gaming because you can have a slightly higher ping.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that only work on either one or the other computer, not both at once.

In my experience, the best results come from an ethernet switch

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/5-port-d-link-gb-easy-desktop-gigabit-10-1000-switch-2000-mbps-full-duplex

Compatible with Windows 95

Do not buy a splitter, i bought one too and the output ports don't work at the same time. buy a switch instead like tomlambert01 says

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

@Tycho @tomlambert01 @cishnureddy17 Thanks for the help. It seems like it's a lot easier to buy just 2 cables separately and run them through. My only final question is that if these 2 cables are running next to each other for part of the house, can this cause any intereference or anything? Thanks again

no, the current in an ethernet cable is way to low for any serious interference that you would notice

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

Unless you need gigabit speeds, you can actualy get the pin out for ethernet (cat 6/5e) cables and do this in a slightly dodgy but functional way. Buy two short cables and a one long enough for the distance you need to run. At each end cut the connector of, and cut each small cables in half. Now, check the pin out as to which cables are required for 100mbs^-1 speed on the small cable, and connect these to 4 cables in the longer one (soldering iron +solder). Connect another one of these small sections to the same pin out on the other end of the long one. Repeat for the other set. What happens is that ethernet has 8 cables in it, which are required for gigabit speeds, but only require 4 for 100mbits^-1 speeds, which are still ok. Hence we treat each bundle of 4 cables as their own 100mbs^-1 cables, just in the one run.