Picking an ASUS motherboard (Z77)

Okay, first, I'm going with ASUS because I'm familiar with them and comfortable with them, so while I'm happy to take suggestions, I'm sticking with ASUS, so suggestions within that brand would be more helpful than "Why don't you get MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock/etc/etc?". It's just what I want. The problems appears that in making my switch from AMD to Intel, I did not anticipate the approximately 243809276203 P8Z77 motherboards they offered.

So, I intend to run a 3770K with an 8970 (Probably just one for some time, because they will be mucho expensive) - Yes, this is a longer term build, because I can only put X number of dollars towards it each month. 16GB 1600 RAM will be plenty sufficient and probably running onboard sound. I intend to have as many as 5 SATA devices (1 SSD, 3x mechanicals [2 in RAID 0] and an optical) and I'll probably addon a wireless device at some point (1x PCI-E I assume).

I'll be going overkill on the watercooling (As well as experimenting with OC), so aesthetics are kinda important, and my theme will probably be a blue of some sort. The said, I'm not opposed to the Maximus V Formula (I'll just replace the mosfet/SB blocks), but I was looking at the Sabertooth for price. While I prefer to stay under $250, if everyone swears by the Formula, I might go with it. It's going into a TJ07, so E-ATX is fine.

Is that enough information to go by? :)

P8Z77-V Pro/Deluxe? I've got one as do a few others on this forum and I've got no complaints - I know Linus did a video a few months ago on Asus's Z77 boards and their differences but he didn't go into the ROG boards, might be worth a look though.

I just love the formula. Its all you will ever need.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

The formula is the cream of the crop. It allows for RoG bragging rights as well. ^.^

Yeah, the Gene is an okay board, but Mini ATX just really doesn't offer me the expansion I might want in the future (The combo card is only SATA2, for instance)

I'd swear by the formula and there is no need to replace the mosfet block as the one that is on there is already optimally for water cooling and with the two heat pipes in there one for air and the other for water you should also get really good temps because water will dissipate most of the heat and air will also do some.

Its a good case and Linus swears by it so you know its good.

Oh, I know it's ready for water cooling, but it's black and red, but I can use some plexi blocks and make it blue. I was just saying that color for the Formula wasn't really an issue because I could do that.

Go with the Formula, it's even $30 off at Newegg right now!

Anyways, it has fantastic onboard sound, that handy little module with Wi-fi and bluetooth on one side andan mPCIE slot on the other for your smaller SSDs,plenty of SATA ports, 8 fan headers, and plenty of PCIe slots.

I currently have the Sabertooth and I love it! Great for OCing and haven't had any reliability issues. I am running it with a 3770K and a GTX 670. One piece of advice is DO NOT put the ASST fans in... Mother of god those are loud, and barely move any air! Besides that the board is fantastic!

Have you thought about the MSI................ Lol

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

They are standard 40mm fans, though, so they could be replaced easily enough.

They just seem pointless.... Like they aren't needed. The temps really haven't changed since I took mine out! I worry about the board filling with dust also.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

My vote goes for the Forumla. The Sabertooth price is 60% board, 40% 'shielding'. It may look great, but I, personally, can't justify the price for all that extra, lets be honest, pointless additions just to make it look better. Get the Formula and your rig will be rockin'. ;)

That's the direction I've decided to go. The build is already $3100 without monitors, what's another $50? :\

My vote goes for the Forumla. The Sabertooth price is 60% board' date=' 40% 'shielding'. It may look great, but I, personally, can't justify the price for all that extra, lets be honest, pointless additions just to make it look better. Get the Formula and your rig will be rockin'. ;)[/quote']

But it looks so nice! I wish I could find something as aesthetically pleasing as the sabertooth. I want to paint the cover white and go with a blue/white themed build. I just don't think there is anything else out there that will look as clean. I think dual color builds look better than tri-color builds. Adding black to the mix will throw my theme off in my head. I could go white/black, but royal blue is my favorite color. If I am going to build my dream computer, for gaming only of course, I have to have it look perfect.

All depends on the form factor you want, I would say a normal size ATX would be best with the Sabertooth m/board, if you don't like military colours there is the one with all the dust covers (shielded) that supports Intel Z77

Most new m/boards have good on-board sound now so to save cost i don't see the need for people to buy add on sound cards for the average user.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/SABERTOOTH_Z77/

^^recommended^^^ its like a happy medium board that is easy to install and tweak and less cost than a ROG board.

personnel preference really.

I just got an M5A99FX pro R2.0 but that is for AMD cpu's. and i have build the last 4 systems using Asus boards.

got to love Asus components

You could go with the formula but I really recommend the P8Z77-V PRO, I just bought it for my blue and black and white themed build and I love it! Best $200 spent and it comes with wifi if you don't want to buy a PCIe card or you could later on.