Improving performance?

Oarsomeness
Go to solution Solved by Humbug,

i know this is not What You want to hear right now. But You already have a sandy bridge i5 CPU and 4GB DDR3 ram. Simply buying a solid mid range GPU like the Radeon r7 265x will allow You to well and truly join the pc master race, and run any game out there. Until then try to focus on some less graphically intensive games, there are many Indie games and You can play older titles. The Reason your CPU utilization is low is because You have a strong CPU and a very weak onboard GPU. So the GPU is working it's ass of while the CPU is chilling, the CPU will not work harder because there is No point- to render a frame the GPU has to be able to keep up.

Hey guys,
I play a game on my computer and it only loads my CPU about 20-30% while the other 70-80% is idle.
I get around 18 fps in the game and I want to know how to get more performance out of my CPU. I don't have a dedicated graphics card because I cant afford it right now.
The temperature of my CPU while I play is around 60 degrees Celsius so it means it definitely isn't thermal throttling.
Does anyone know why my CPU stays idle and doesnt give me more fps? 
Thanks

PC specs:
-Intel i5 2.5 ghz (dual-core hyperthreaded)
-4gb 1600mhz ram
-500gb hhd
-(No discrete graphics card) Intel Graphics 4000 (Intergrated Graphics)

It will only use as much CPU as it needs and the Intel HD4000 iGPU does not need much processing power at all. I recommend you go into the bios, increase the RAM allocated for your iGPU and increase the core frequency.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Well, your not going to be able to really.  The rest of your CPU will have to sit idle until that GPU can start requesting more data from the CPU.  Even adding a $100 GPU will probably help 10 fold.

A lot of people refer to the CPU as the "engine" of your computer, but the engine can only spin so fast before the transmission starts to slip.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Some games are coded pretty badly due to the type of paradigm they use so they dont use all the performance they can possibly use or they use for more performance to calculate a question that is unreasonably long eg instead of 2x5 its 2x2x2x2x2

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i know this is not What You want to hear right now. But You already have a sandy bridge i5 CPU and 4GB DDR3 ram. Simply buying a solid mid range GPU like the Radeon r7 265x will allow You to well and truly join the pc master race, and run any game out there. Until then try to focus on some less graphically intensive games, there are many Indie games and You can play older titles. The Reason your CPU utilization is low is because You have a strong CPU and a very weak onboard GPU. So the GPU is working it's ass of while the CPU is chilling, the CPU will not work harder because there is No point- to render a frame the GPU has to be able to keep up.