i7-4970K or something else?

I'm thinking about getting an i7-4970K sometime in the near future, as I currently have an i5-3570K.

With a budget of around $350 for the CPU, is that the best choice for my money? I work with really large files sometimes, and do a good amount of gaming. I may also be getting into some light video editing/encoding soon, but it would be pretty irregular honestly.

Here is the Amazon link for reference if anyone wants it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPRWAX8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18HTRXIOJ7T1N&coliid=I3NDN2CBOHJUIM

I also need a board for whatever CPU I do end up getting. Any recommendations are appreciated. My build is themed blue.

For gaming it's a pass. You won't benefit much from an uprgade in my opinion. Video editing will benefit from HyperThreading, but if you're not too hardcore when it comes to editing, I'd recommend against upgrading.

You'd be disappointed to say the least. Specific games may benefit from HyperThreading, but otherwise you probably wouldn't notice much.

CPU: Core i7-4790K

GPU: 2x MSi GTX 970 GAMING G4       

MB:   ASUS Z97-AR 

I would say no. There is no need to put that much expense. The leap is not big enough to warrant it. I would hold off, and put that money into your savings for the next upgrade.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my FX-6100, but am confused about the different versions of the 4790.

Could someone explain the difference between the i7-4790/4790k/4790s, and what is the best preformance for the money, and the pros and cons of each.

(Pricing ->) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671&IsNodeId=1&Description=i7-4790&name=Processors%20-%20Desktops&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

I would say that for even light video editing and gaming that the intel 4690k paired with a MSI Z97 U3 plus motherboard would be great for the money and to match your build blue build.

I'm currently thinking of upgrading my FX-6100, but am confused about the different versions of the 4790.

Could someone explain the difference between the i7-4790/4790k/4790s?

So the difference between the versions are that,

4790 is not overclockable. Only has turbo boost.

4790k is overclockble. also has turbo boost

4790s is a lower clocked version with a lower starting tdp/power usage and is also not overclockable, but can turbo boost the same as the 4790/4790k

the best really depends what you are planing to do so if you can afford the k version than thats probable your best bet.

hoped that this helped!

Could someone explain the difference between the i7-4790/4790k/4790s?

So the difference between the versions are that,

4790 is not overclockable. Only has turbo boost. 

4790k is overclockble. also has turbo boost 

4790s is a lower clocked version with a lower starting tdp/power usage and is also not overclockable, but can turbo boost the same as the 4790/4790k

the best really depends what you are planing to do so if you can afford the k version than thats probable your best bet. 

hoped that this helped!

I'd mainly use the rig for everything: Gaming, Video Editing/Rendering, 3D Rendering/Baking.

I have a GTX 770 SC ACX from EVGA, so integrated graphics aren't a problem.

Alright, so it would be worth it to spend an extra ~$30 to get the K version?

I'd mainly use the rig for everything: Gaming, Video Editing/Rendering, 3D Rendering/Baking.

That depends.... if you want to overclock the chip then you need the "k" version. If you don't, then no. Its always nice to have the option though.

I would say that for even light video editing and gaming that the intel 4690k paired with a MSI Z97 U3 plus motherboard would be great for the money and to match your build blue build.

hoped that this helped!

I kind of want to go with an i7 though, because I want to have hyperthreading for the bit of video editing and potential streaming that I will be doing.

There is also a possibility that I am going to be streaming a lot in the somewhat near future.

So if I had to go i7, what combo would you recommend me?

I kind of want to go with an i7 though, because I want to have hyperthreading for the bit of video editing and potential streaming that I will be doing.

There is also a possibility that I am going to be streaming a lot in the somewhat near future.

So if I had to go i7, what combo would you recommend me?

4790k, NH-D14 or H105, ASUS Z97-A or Sabertooth if you want a 5yr warranty on the board as opposed to 3yr.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Yes, I also think that it would be a good investment in the long run.

If you must upgrade, I think the i5 4690k will be more than plenty for what you want, plus its ~ $100 cheaper.. but your 3570k is more than enough CPU

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Could someone explain the difference between the i7-4790/4790k/4790s, and what is the best preformance for the money, and the pros and cons of each.

(Pricing ->) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007671&IsNodeId=1&Description=i7-4790&name=Processors%20-%20Desktops&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

The K version has a unlocked multiplier the non K can only be overclocked via changing the bus speed and the S version is a more power efficient version of the three
Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler