Red or green...

Go to solution Solved by TechFan@ic,

What about buying an i5, mobo, fan and new case for now? Recomend anything bellow de 300 dollars? NO need for a GPU, I'l get it later.

OMG, so many possibilities, never tought it would be so hard.

Bad idea. Either do a minimal CPU upgrade and grab a GPU. Or just wait and save until you have enough money for an entire system.

Buying one part at a time is a bad idea. Once you've completed your upgrade you'll realize that the parts you've bought are now outdated and over-priced.

A core 2 Quad will NOT bottleneck a $150-$200 GPU. And that's what you plan to buy as far as I'm aware.

Helooo Everyone :D

Here are my specs:

be2l8rK.png

I Want to buy a GPU as my Xmas Gift (Forever Alone I know xD) but I am unsure wich one. An ASUS GTX 760 is about 200€ and an MSI R9 270X is ~190€. I searched in GPU Boss but they like to inflate the NVidia cards so I'm not really sure wich one to get. Any Help?

ps: my system has no fans, should I get some?

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

If i was you, id legitemately just buy a brand new system.

Your CPU is pretty old so newer GPU's will bottleneck a ton.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

One or two is definitely advised. Its not like your system wouldn't function without them, just not good by any standards. I would definitely get at leas two fane, one intake one exhaust.

One or two is definitely advised. Its not like your system wouldn't function without them, just not good by any standards. I would definitely get at leas two fane, one intake one exhaust.

Upgrade whole system. That's what I recommend.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

If i was you, id legitemately just buy a brand new system.

Your CPU is pretty old so newer GPU's will bottleneck a ton.

The problem is I can't afford a new system all at once, I'm trying to get the GPU now and then buy another MotherBoard and processor and a new case and more storage and just rebuild it by pieces.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

The problem is I can't afford a new system all at once, I'm trying to get the GPU now and then buy another MotherBoard and processor and a new case and more storage and just rebuild it by pieces.

I tired to use my r9 270x with an old (maybe better then your) cpu (dual core lbalbal) and it was soooooooo bad that if i was you i would recommend you to get a new cpu + mobo first. (If you dont want to upgrade years after years get an i5-4690 + a cheap mobo with it and until you get a normal video card you can use the igpu inside your cpu which is still i wouldnt say good but ok (also non K processors are not for overclocking but i was using amd for years and i dunno i cant really see any improvements when i oc my i5-4690k from 3.5ghz to 4.5ghz))

also try to get a case which has a lot of fan holes and get some fan cause without fans the stuff inside your case will most likely cook itself

oh by the way the r9 270x is kinda good (gta v for example will be amd based game (mantle)) dunno anything about the nvidia part but if you are in budget get the r9 270x but first try to get a normal case + motherboard + cpu + maybe a psu but for the cpu you only need like 80w even if mine is using 55w under stress testing at stock and yeah a normal 500w psu will be fine (fsp hexa 500w for example)

No need to upgrade your entire system. Grab a used core 2 quad CPU. You can get them for around 50-60 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GGQCIC/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1411824861&sr=8-1&keywords=Q6800&condition=used

That'll instantly give you 2.5X the performance of your current CPU. Then grab a GPU.

I'd recommend buying something like an R7 265, exceptional performance for 150 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Display-PCI-Express-GV-R7265WF2OC-2GD/dp/B00JK9GFRO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411824943&sr=8-5&keywords=R7+265

I tired to use my r9 270x with an old (maybe better then your) cpu (dual core lbalbal) and it was soooooooo bad that if i was you i would recommend you to get a new cpu + mobo first. (If you dont want to upgrade years after years get an i5-4690 + a cheap mobo with it and until you get a normal video card you can use the igpu inside your cpu which is still i wouldnt say good but ok (also non K processors are not for overclocking but i was using amd for years and i dunno i cant really see any improvements when i oc my i5-4690k from 3.5ghz to 4.5ghz))

also try to get a case which has a lot of fan holes and get some fan cause without fans the stuff inside your case will most likely cook itself

oh by the way the r9 270x is kinda good (gta v for example will be amd based game (mantle)) dunno anything about the nvidia part but if you are in budget get the r9 270x but first try to get a normal case + motherboard + cpu + maybe a psu but for the cpu you only need like 80w even if mine is using 55w under stress testing at stock and yeah a normal 500w psu will be fine (fsp hexa 500w for example)

Dude, you killed my hope... I wanted to know if I could do just a soft gaming if I boutgh the GPU and then, later, completly upgrade the rest of the PC, but I've lost the hope now

Btw, what case and fans do you recommend? 80 dollars max

No need to upgrade your entire system. Grab a used core 2 quad CPU. You can get them for around 50-60 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000GGQCIC/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1411824861&sr=8-1&keywords=Q6800&condition=used

That'll instantly give you 2.5X the performance of your current CPU. Then grab a GPU.

I'd recommend buying something like an R7 265, exceptional performance for 150 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-Display-PCI-Express-GV-R7265WF2OC-2GD/dp/B00JK9GFRO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411824943&sr=8-5&keywords=R7+265

But does it compensate to spend 50-60€ on a processor that I will replace a few months later(up to a year)?

A system such as this, and later R9 3xx?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€90.73 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (€55.15 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (€74.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €220.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-27 15:54 CEST+0200

But does it compensate to spend 50-60€ on a processor that I will replace a few months later(up to a year)?

I honestly believe it's worth it. It's also not 50-60 Euros, it would be more like 30-40 Euros.

After you build your new system you'll still have a very usable second system, which you can take to LAN parties with you, have as a buck up and even use as a home theater PC if you want.

best bet is a 750(Ti) for now. will effect the cpu less and won't fry a low watt psu.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If you don't have any other choice than upgrading one part, I'd just save it up for a new system. Regardless of the graphics card you purchase right now, you wouldn't get a very good gaming-experience in my opinion. That processor is  going to be a bottleneck, and you'd have to go on a hunt for an old processor to fit in that socket if you're not going to upgrade your motherboard. That's nearly a seven year old processor you've got there.

I can't really find any worthwhile upgrades in your case, except for upgrading everything. 

CPU: Core i7-4790K

GPU: 2x MSi GTX 970 GAMING G4       

MB:   ASUS Z97-AR 

I honestly believe it's worth it. It's also not 50-60 Euros, it would be more like 30-40 Euros.

After you build your new system you'll still have a very usable second system, which you can take to LAN parties with you, have as a buck up and even use as a home theater PC if you want.

What about buying an i5, mobo, fan and new case for now? Recomend anything bellow de 300 dollars? NO need for a GPU, I'l get it later.

id go with 760!

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

Bad idea. Either do a minimal CPU upgrade and grab a GPU. Or just wait and save until you have enough money for an entire system.

Buying one part at a time is a bad idea. Once you've completed your upgrade you'll realize that the parts you've bought are now outdated and over-priced.

A core 2 Quad will NOT bottleneck a $150-$200 GPU. And that's what you plan to buy as far as I'm aware.

Ok  ;) thanks for the advice dude, reaaly going to take tha in count and just buy the Core 2 and then buy a GPU :D Really apreciated your help