NEW GPU upgrade (GTX 780 ti VS GTX 980)

y.abualreesh
Go to solution Solved by Ryukrieger,

Though you have to keep in mind that the 9XX series have some new technology on hardware-level if I recall correctly, more efficient overall, too.

And yes, a 980 would be a better choice, provided prices are similar or lower.

But of course if a 780Ti is cheaper enough, I'd still recommend going for that, you won't notice much differences.

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my current GPU to new one, and I am confused which one of these two cards  to take (GTX 780 ti VS GTX 980).

So can any one give me any suggestion in regard this upgrade and also I want to know if my current PSU can handle 2 cards in Sli  (either 2x GTX 780 ti  or 2x GTX 980) or I need to consider upgrading my PSU also. My current PSU is XFX  PRO Series 850W Core Edition (80 Plus Bronze). 

Thanks in advance  :) 

850 Watt will be plenty for either cards in SLI.

Go for the newer GTX 980s I'd say. They're faster, consume less power and create less heat. Just a bit more expensive though, I think as the 780 Ti's are getting a price drop atm.

980 and 780 ti are almost the same (980 will get some more fps), but the 980 is cooler, needs less power, but it's expensive. I would pick 2x 780TI or just get an R9 295X2

"like if you could buy two Xbox Ones, put them togheter and actually play games at 1080P! Ha! BURN"

-Linus

Don't know what country you are in, but over in the UK, the 980's came in at about £80 cheaper (brand for brand) than the 780ti's were before the 980 was released. I also believe that nvidia is discontinuing the 700 series cards now as the maxwell cards are better.

Though you have to keep in mind that the 9XX series have some new technology on hardware-level if I recall correctly, more efficient overall, too.

And yes, a 980 would be a better choice, provided prices are similar or lower.

But of course if a 780Ti is cheaper enough, I'd still recommend going for that, you won't notice much differences.

I would suggest going for the 980

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Both cards are pretty similair in performance so i'd say go with the cheapest option, your psu can handle it.

I5 4670k (Noctua NH U12S), Asus Maximus VI Hero, Nvidia GTX 560 ti Asus DCU II, 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Kingston SSDNow v300 120 gb SSD 1TB Seagate Baracuda, Corsair Carbide 300R

I like pie

Hello all, I've been watching linustechtips videos for a few weeks now, but I am new to the forums. I've asked elsewhere and was told to prioritize GPU and RAM, so I am planning on getting a 980, as well as upgrading RAM to 8 GB. However, I know little about such things. Are there more things I should be aware of, like motherboard compatibility or if I should also think about getting a new processor? Thanks in advance for your insights!

post-144504-0-15858000-1411926299.jpg

If you have enough money and you willing to spend it, I would go with the 780ti, because it still performs better than the 980 in the most cases, but the 980 is about 2/3 of the price of the 780ti. So if you haven't extra money to spend, I  would go with the 980 and forget about the 10 extra Frames in most games. The 980 is the better one of both in compute performance for example in video rendering. And do not forget you can still overclock the 980 much further than the 780ti. I personaly would go with the 780ti.

~ iFriedi

Everything is fine. Yeah just upgrade your RAM. It's fairly standard, but try to get the same RAM that you already have in your PC, don't worry if you can't, it won't blow up. 

And to answer your original question, if I were you, I'd rather a 980 over a 780Ti any day. Performance is close enough and price is a huge plus. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade my current GPU to new one, and I am confused which one of these two cards  to take (GTX 780 ti VS GTX 980).

So can any one give me any suggestion in regard this upgrade and also I want to know if my current PSU can handle 2 cards in Sli  (either 2x GTX 780 ti  or 2x GTX 980) or I need to consider upgrading my PSU also. My current PSU is XFX  PRO Series 850W Core Edition (80 Plus Bronze). 

Thanks in advance  :) 

from what i understand the 980 will keep up with or beat a 780TI, and with the 980 you get all the new tech and support to go with it. i would go with the 980, the TI is a great card but the 980 has a lot of new features. and a 850 is fine for 2 980's, id run that with my 750W supernova.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for your replies.

I am still wondering which one to take, But I think I will go with GTX 980 in 2 way SLI, but still I am in concern in regard  my PSU if it can handle the two cards or not ??? I will wait and see more replies.

My current PSU is XFX  PRO Series 850W Core Edition (80 Plus Bronze). 

If you can choose, go with the 2x GTX980-s. As they run cooler, quieter, consume less power & you get a bit more FPS in action :)

850 Watt was enough to run GTX 780 Tis in SLI so it sure will be enough to run GTX 980s in SLI. You'll have some headroom left as well.

I think that would be good enough a psu but I would say somrthing like a cosair RM series psu would be better 80 plus gold aND full modular the 850 watt versoin is $160 on newegg

The 980 are suppose to be more efficient then the 780ti

The OEM for the XFX Pro series is Seasonic anyway which is (one of) the best PSU manufacturer(s) on the market right now.