Looking for a good looking gaming monitor...

MystiqThunder

Hey all,

I am soon to be building a computer for university and I am look for monitor suggestions.  I am very much looking forward to it and I have a few things in mind for what I would need.

- 21 to 24 inches

- minimum resolution of 1080p, thought 1440p would be a nicer step up as I will have the power to drive it

- refresh rate of 120Hz, preferably

My budget is $200 dollars and I would rather have it cheaper than closer to the cap as I would be purchasing a second eventually.

Thanks in advance,

MystiqThunder

Great to be back on the forum.

AMD FX-8350 Asus M5A-99X R2.0 EVO Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24 @1600MHz) - Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 (OC 1000MHz) - Corsair TX-650

Corsair H100i Fractal Design R4 Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 MadCatz R.A.T. 7 WD Caviar Black 2TB and Samsung 840 120GB

==="Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose" ~ Master Yoda===

You won't get a 120/144hz monitor for less than $250~ 

And a 1440p (60hz) monitor is like $350-$500. 

TN panel -- Have a faster response time (not that I think that matters, but some do). 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umfg6aaa01

IPS monitor-- have a higher response time, but much better colors and better viewing angles (I personally don't notice the difference between 1ms and 8ms response times so...IPS would be my choice). 

Dell P2414H http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-monitor-p2414h

Acer H236HLbid http://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umvh6aa003

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The higher the resolution, the lower the refresh rate is likely to be. 

As djdwosk97 said above, a 120hz 1080p or a 1440p 60hz is likely to be outside your budget.

I'm not an expert on the US market, but at $200 you're likely looking at a fairly decent TN panel, which will give you 60hz but not be the best for colour performance.

If you want 120hz, you're probably looking at a 720p monitor - there are some Samsung 720p 120hz knocking around for about I seem to recall $120-150.

Unless you find a sale, you might have to decide on your priorities - unless someone has a Korean option for you.

Hey all,

I am soon to be building a computer for university and I am look for monitor suggestions.  I am very much looking forward to it and I have a few things in mind for what I would need.

- 21 to 24 inches

- minimum resolution of 1080p, thought 1440p would be a nicer step up as I will have the power to drive it

- refresh rate of 120Hz, preferably

My budget is $200 dollars and I would rather have it cheaper than closer to the cap as I would be purchasing a second eventually.

Thanks in advance,

MystiqThunder

Great to be back on the forum.

How about this » http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005630CVF « LG IPS monitor.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator