Computer won't power on even after RMAs.

Mathew

I RMAed my motherboard and received a new or possibly refurbished replacement.  I attempted to boot the computer with my parts and I couldn't get it to boot.  I recruited my friend and his computer and we tried each and every one of my parts in his working computer.  We also tried his power supply, RAM and processor in my motherboard and it wouldn't boot.  I RMAed the motherboard after previous testing and got a new one, as I mentioned before.  It still won't power on.  It's not that it doesn't have power, or it will boot for a second and power off, it legitimately will not power on. The indicator light is on, showing that the motherboard does in fact have power.  Any ideas?

- Matt

I RMAed my motherboard and received a new or possibly refurbished replacement.  I attempted to boot the computer with my parts and I couldn't get it to boot.  I recruited my friend and his computer and we tried each and every one of my parts in his working computer.  We also tried his power supply, RAM and processor in my motherboard and it wouldn't boot.  I RMAed the motherboard after previous testing and got a new one, as I mentioned before.  It still won't power on.  It's not that it doesn't have power, or it will boot for a second and power off, it legitimately will not power on. The indicator light is on, showing that the motherboard does in fact have power.  Any ideas?

- Matt

Maybe you're case power switch is broken. I'd laugh if that's what it actually was the whole time :P Did you try your parts in his case?

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

make sure the batt isnt dead? also make sure that your 8 pin power is properly connected and no pins are broken....make sure there isnt a metal shaving stuck in a ddr3 slot of pci slot making a short which prevents your motherboard from starting up....and most of all make sure that the "testbench": you are using isnt causing a short xD 

and yea hahah make sure u got a working powerswitch or just bridge the jumpers with a screwdriver...

Maybe your case power switch is broken. I'd laugh if that's what it actually was the whole time :P Did you try your parts in his case?

Nah that isn't it lol.  I have my motherboard outside of the case and I am trying to power it on by touching the pins with a screwdriver.  It usually works.  It also didn't power when the case power button was plugged in.

Try tightening the CPU coolers screws.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Nah that isn't it lol.  I have my motherboard outside of the case and I am trying to power it on by touching the pins with a screwdriver.  It usually works.  It also didn't power when the case power button was plugged in.

Which mainboard do you got?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

make sure the batt isnt dead? also make sure that your 8 pin power is properly connected and no pins are broken....make sure there isnt a metal shaving stuck in a ddr3 slot of pci slot making a short which prevents your motherboard from starting up....and most of all make sure that the "testbench": you are using isnt causing a short xD 

and yea hahah make sure u got a working powerswitch or just bridge the jumpers with a screwdriver...

Yeah, I tried the battery.  Everything else checked out fine.

Which mainboard do you got?

Asus P8Z77-V LK

Asus P8Z77-V LK

We probably should make a list with what you tried/checked or should check.

• 24 pin and 8 pin power cable inserted correctly
  • No thermal paste on the CPU socket (pins)
  • CPU & Cooler fitted correctly
  • Bootup with only 1 Ram stick, try different samples.
  • Tried to boot by jumping pins
  • Tried to boot by pushing power button
  • Tried to boot without anything but: 24pin power, 8pin power, cpu&cooler, 1 ram stick
  • checked bios battery

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

We probably should make a list with what you tried/checked or should check.

• 24 pin and 8 pin power cable inserted correctly
  • No thermal paste on the CPU socket (pins)
  • CPU & Cooler fitted correctly
  • Bootup with only 1 Ram stick, try different samples.
  • Tried to boot by jumping pins
  • Tried to boot by pushing power button
  • Tried to boot without anything but: 24pin power, 8pin power, cpu&cooler, 1 ram stick
  • checked bios battery

All done.

can you define what you mean, "could not get it to boot". If nothing happens on the screen, maybe it does work, but the image is being outputted on the Intel integrated graphics.  Did you try a different graphic card?

put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard with the bare minimum components.  Power light on motherboard but not turning on usually means the board is shorted but the short protection built in is saving it.

can you define what you mean, "could not get it to boot". If nothing happens on the screen, maybe it does work, but the image is being outputted on the Intel integrated graphics.  Did you try a different graphic card?

The motherboard as power.  The indicator light is powered on. I attempt to power the computer on.  Nothing. No fan jolt, nothing. Legitimately nothing happens.  It just sits there.

put the motherboard on a piece of cardboard with the bare minimum components.  Power light on motherboard but not turning on usually means the board is shorted but the short protection built in is saving it.

I already have.  The indicator light has been on the entire time.

Did you clear the CMOS yet?

(Switch the PSU OFF, disconnect it from the wall and take out the BIOS battery for a couple of minutes.)

you say the second board may be a refurb? your sure they didnt just send your old board back to you?

if you can rma to the shop rather than the manufacturer. all stores are supposed to offer a 1 year shop return policy for electronics if the item has more than a 1 year warranty.

the first year is covered by the store then after than you have to use the manufacturer. so if its a new board send it back to the store rather than the factory.

or if you did use the store. send it direct to the manufacturer and explain where you bought it and that they tried to palm you off with a broken board. which puts the manufacturers good name on the line because of shoddy partners. they will likely replace your board without charging you postage.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

have you tried to start the system with the memOK button..?..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

The board is dead, send it back, demand a new one in a sealed box

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

The board is dead, send it back, demand a new one in a sealed box

Yeah, do that, if nothing helped so far.

That's why i use amazon even if its a tiny bit more expensive, their return policy is just the best. Most of the time it's even no questions asked money back even with older stuff. A friend of mine send back his broken Laptop after 3/4 of a year and got his FULL money back. Then he could add some more money and buy a far better and more modern one :D