Noob question about static electricity :D

Mystogan59
Go to solution Solved by LarsReviews,

leave the psu plugged in, but turn the PSU powerswitch to off. Only Ground will be connected, if the PSU is off. 

REALLY Important! The switch on the PSU must be set to off, if the cable is plugged in. 

So i´ve got all my parts for the build already and im about to build it tomorrow, my question is pretty noobish actually, i even tried to look it up on google but found mixed answers about it :D Soo when building, should i have the power cord plugged in the PSU in order to ground myself when i touch it or not? Im asking because ive read about some guy saying its dangerous to leave the cord in.. so im confused :/

(the power button thingy on the PSU would be obviously off)

Thanks guys, hope nobody will kill me for such question :D

leave the psu plugged in, but turn the PSU powerswitch to off. Only Ground will be connected, if the PSU is off. 

REALLY Important! The switch on the PSU must be set to off, if the cable is plugged in. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

leave the psu plugged in, but turn the PSU powerswitch to off. 

Thats what i thought.. well had to ask... safety is number one after all ^^ Thanks man! Btw loving your profile gif :D

I usually just take the cord out all together so there's absolutely no electricity in the computer while I'm building. After everything finish I will plug it in to test it.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I usually just take the cord out all together so there's absolutely no electricity in the computer while I'm building. After everything finish I will plug it in to test it.

well technically the electrons are always in the conducting wires of the motherboard and components, but without any driving force they just remain chillin like villains in the material

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Thats what i thought.. well had to ask... safety is number one after all ^^ Thanks man! Btw loving your profile gif :D

but don't forget to plug it in, so it is grounded. I always touch the PSU screws every few minutes to ground myself. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

but don't forget to plug it in, so it is grounded. I always touch the PSU screws every few minutes to ground myself. 

Dont worry i wont forget! Neither about turning the PSU off! :)