FiiO X1 worth it?

LimpCurve

I need a new music player on a budget and was wondering if the X1 just released by FiiO would be worth it. It's priced at $100 and can be found here. http://www.fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000060437344&MenuID=105026016 I personally know nothing about audio products so was hoping if this would offer good audio quality for the money. Thanks for your time. :)

Oooooorrrr you could use your phone like the rest of the planet and save yourself $100.

A) I don't have a phone, there's a thing in the world called 'poor'. B ) Phone audio quality tends to be lesser than some cheaper audio players. C) I don't need a phone because I have nobody in the world I wanna call

A) I don't have a phone, there's a thing in the world called 'poor'. B ) Phone audio quality tends to be lesser than some cheaper audio players. C) I don't need a phone because I have nobody in the world I wanna call

I read about this thing a while back,

I have Fiio X5 and a tone of other fiio stuff.

I have never had a fiio that disappointed me, and the X5 is a fantastic player.

i'd get it if you have a decent pair of headphones to take advantage of it.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

It's kinda hard to say is it worth it or not, on DAPs (digital audio players). The difference between one and the other won't be overwhelming, plus you'd need a fairly decent (above average) IEM or headphones to tell the differences apart. 

Think of it this way: DAP is your graphic card, IEM or headphone is your display monitor. There's no use in getting ultra high-end graphic card, if you're using it with a crappy display that only goes to 1024x768px. 

It's kinda hard to say is it worth it or not, on DAPs (digital audio players). The difference between one and the other won't be overwhelming, plus you'd need a fairly decent (above average) IEM or headphones to tell the differences apart. 

Think of it this way: DAP is your graphic card, IEM or headphone is your display monitor. There's no use in getting ultra high-end graphic card, if you're using it with a crappy display that only goes to 1024x768px. 

You're right, except for the fact that DAPs have little difference. There's a reason there is such a huge gap in the value (<300$) market. Honestly, I could hear the difference immediately with my Fiio X3, compared to the E07k. Yes good headphones matter, but if you're upgrading bit by bit, the X1 is a great place to start, however you will need to invest in a micro SD card.

Overall the X1 will probably blow away any phone you might use, but you won't get the full benefit unless you have a decent pair of IEMs or cans.

If you'd like a cheaper option, Sansa's players are great and you can install Rockbox Firmware to make them super great. ClipZip's often show up refurbished on eBay for like $20.