Strange Bug in Remote Desktop

Go to solution Solved by DrunkenSquirrel,

I FIXED IT! :D

I don't know, but can it be your router being stupid?

Yeah I thought that too but remote desktop still worked to my other devices so it didn't make sense for it to be the router.

It turns out one of the drives was failing and was crashing/hanging the OS, the file transfers stopped working shortly after the remote desktop failed.

After rebooting the remote PC it got stuck at the windows loading screen and I heard a repeated ticking/whining noise.

I found which HDD it was, removed it, and now everything is functioning normally again.

I hope this helps anyone else who might come across this problem.

So I have a computer running in another section of the house which I use remote desktop to a lot and also to transfer files.

Today it has started acting up, After around 5 minutes the remote desktop times out and then it no longer reconnects.

I can still transfer files through the network to/from it, just remote desktop stops working.

If I restart the pc I'm working on (not the remote one), it starts working again.

No idea why this is happening, anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I FIXED IT! :D

I don't know, but can it be your router being stupid?

Yeah I thought that too but remote desktop still worked to my other devices so it didn't make sense for it to be the router.

It turns out one of the drives was failing and was crashing/hanging the OS, the file transfers stopped working shortly after the remote desktop failed.

After rebooting the remote PC it got stuck at the windows loading screen and I heard a repeated ticking/whining noise.

I found which HDD it was, removed it, and now everything is functioning normally again.

I hope this helps anyone else who might come across this problem.

Aha! See, I thought you waited for the file transfer to finish before restarting, so that meant to me that the system is still operating :)

Good to know, however.

Thanks for sharing what you found, and keeping us, and well me, updated.