First Build - Video Editing (Adobe) Workstation / Gaming Rig

So this is not only my first build, but my first post here in the LinusTechTips forums. I've watched at least a weeks worth of computer build guides, reviews and mainly Linus' wonderful videos - certainly a new fan here. Currently I'm I mac user (don't slaughter me, haha) but I am very open minded when it comes to technology. My plans have been to build a workstation / gaming PC for a while, and I've recently become financially able to do so. But I don't really want to settle for something that isn't future proof - I NEED performance and speed. I can't be done with waiting hours for rendering on such a tight schedule, not only is YouTube a legitimate job for me, I'm studying a full time University course in filmmaking.

My budget for this build is around £2,300 ($3,800)... this includes the monitor and keyboard that I have already purchased... oh, and the motherboard & case. The rest I'm still on the fence with, I chose the P9X79-e WS motherboard by Asus, because of it's room for expansion, design quality and overall features. I guess I just really want to know if you guys think any specific parts need improvement, or I'm using the wrong brand for the job... again I will expand in the future... for example the GPU I have listed is probably not a beast for video editing - no doubt it's great, but something like a Quadro would probably be added down the line. Along with many more HDD drives.

Also to note, the two SSD's will be in raid zero for the OS.

PC part picker also states that the WS motherboard isn't compatible with the Obsidian 750d... having already purchased the motherboard I hope this is not the case (pun unintended). The P9X79-e WS by the looks of it has regular ATX screws and having measured the case it will damn well fit inside - this thing is huge. 

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and what you think I could do to improve!

Here's the rig: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/cHqMXL

Uhhh Derp.  Your Motherboard and your case are NOT compatible.

*Edit*

Even with this eminence budget you aren't going to crossfire?

*Edit*

Get a lower Wattage PSU that is way to high.

Current PSU: 860w

Amount it puts out: 588w

Because he had a hard drive.

*Edit*

Even with this eminence budget you aren't going to crossfire?

*Edit*

Get a lower Wattage PSU that is way to high.

Current PSU: 860w

Amount it puts out: 588w

In what way? From my measurements it will fit, as the motherboard DOES have standard ATX screws, it's just an inch longer, which my case has plent of room for. Plus others have asked about it on certain forums and people have said the same as you, until they looked into it and found the P9X79-e WS will fit with the standard screw formation. Maybe corsair just haven't officially declared support for this board? I've spent all day on this...    

**Edit** 

Well, this is why I'm here, should I crossfire? Is it worth it for a primarily video editing rig, and my power supply would need to potentially power a second graphics card if I add the quadro or another 780 in crossfire.

How is the 750D not compatible with the P9X79-E WS?

It supports the larger XL-ATX, and the standoffs are in the same positions, so there's no reason to think it wouldn't.

@JamiePine 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

In what way? From my measurements it will fit, as the motherboard DOES have standard ATX screws, it's just an inch longer, which my case has plent of room for. Plus others have asked about it on certain forums and people have said the same as you, until they looked into it and found the P9X79-e WS will fit with the standard screw formation. Maybe corsair just haven't officially declared support for this board? I've spent all day on this...    

What about the PSU, that is to much of a gap between the amount it puts out to the amount the PSU is meant for.

Because he had a hard drive.

Alrighty then here's what I'd do in your position ....

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  (£420.88 @ Amazon UK) 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£78.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Motherboard: Asus P9X79-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard  (Purchased For £269.00) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  (£275.03 @ Ebuyer) 

Case: Antec Nineteen Hundred Green ATX Full Tower Case  (£230.90 @ Amazon UK) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£69.65 @ CCL Computers) 

Monitor: BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  (£299.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Fan Controller: Aerocool Touch 2000 Fan Controller  (£37.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£118.12 @ CCL Computers) 

Total: £2274.49

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-22 23:18 BST+0100

I probably would have gone with a different chipset, but seeing as you already bought the motherboard I kept you processor and motherboard the same. I did however, change the case. I know the case you chose may have the physical space to seat the motherboard, that doesn't mean that it has compatible screw mounts.The case I went with was the Antec Nineteen Hundred, it looks great and should be compatible with all of your parts (including your motherboard).

I changed you RAM out for the G.Skill Ripjjaws Z Series, simply because the memory is clocked at a high speed than you current kit and high mhz comes in handy not so much for gaming, but for rendering.

I got rid of you second SSD simply because while SSD's do perform faster in raid, a single SSD is already extremely fast so I don't really recommend adding in another SSD when a BIG part of video editing is storage in general. So I used some of the money saved by getting rid of the second SSD, for adding in a higher capacity and higher speed HDD. I also used the rest of the money saved to get a different case that is compatible with your motherboard.

I changed your video card for what I consider a BIG reason since the 900 series release. The 900 series cards are cheaper, use less power, and simply outperform anything the 700 series has to offer (even the gtx 970 can beat the 780ti in shear performance, plus I think it costs less than on half of the price). So for that reason I went with a GTX 970 from MSI.

For you power supply I went with a lower voltage Silverston 650w 80+ gold simply because after changing out the graphics card you are not going to need as much power (the GTX 900 series uses less than half of the energy required to power the GTX 780, all while outperforming the GTX 780). Plus changing out the power supply saved about 50 bucks.

Anywhoo, those are the changes I have made and what I would suggest for you budget and that chipset. I Hope I Helped!

@JuTheBarbarian

Thanks for your suggestions, this exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. However, few slight problems:

- I've already bought the 750D case, in fact I've had it sat on my desk empty for a week or so now. I got it purely for my love for it's design and under the assumption that I could fit basically anything (at least at my level) inside, I mean Linus did say this in his review. Of course I have also bought the motherboard so when that arrives on Wednesday I will have to find out for myself if it's compatible, if not I guess I'll have to change my case design.

- The information about the RAM is very handy, I am willing to spend that much more knowing it's better suited to my needs, but my issue (sad as it is), is the colour. My theme is blue for this build, and I haven't included the blue LED fans from corsair that I will ultimately buy, but I want to try and avoid having colour clashes on that scale, with the red RAM sticks. I also assumed with my choice of graphics cards, that the Direct CU II cooler would have the red stripes as optional stickers, as I saw that in an unboxing. 

- I chose that power supply because I figured if I were to add another GPU then I wouldn't have to outright buy another power supply, I also am a big fan of the black sleeved cables that come with the Corsair power supplies, again anything that is either black or blue, goes down well with me!

- This is less of a problem, more of a thank you, I have been driving myself crazy over graphics cards, I had heard of the 900 series, but I had NO idea they were cheaper, I would have kicked myself had I found that out after I'd gone with the 780.

I also am glad to hear about the RAID on the SSD's being useless, means I can spend more on the HDDs... I would ultimately favour something along the lines of a RAID 10 or 1 array for the HDDs, the more data I can keep safe, the better for video editing. Nothing worse than loosing footage when a drive fails, especially during a college project... this HAS happened to me before, wasn't pretty.

Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate it. As I said this is my first build, so I am completely new to the world of PCs. Let alone custom PCs.

EDIT:

Didn't give myself much time to look into the RAM, but G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series comes in black and blue options too, which is great! 

@JuTheBarbarian

Thanks for your suggestions, this exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. However, few slight problems:

- I've already bought the 750D case, in fact I've had it sat on my desk empty for a week or so now. I got it purely for my love for it's design and under the assumption that I could fit basically anything (at least at my level) inside, I mean Linus did say this in his review. Of course I have also bought the motherboard so when that arrives on Wednesday I will have to find out for myself if it's compatible, if not I guess I'll have to change my case design.

- The information about the RAM is very handy, I am willing to spend that much more knowing it's better suited to my needs, but my issue (sad as it is), is the colour. My theme is blue for this build, and I haven't included the blue LED fans from corsair that I will ultimately buy, but I want to try and avoid having colour clashes on that scale, with the red RAM sticks. I also assumed with my choice of graphics cards, that the Direct CU II cooler would have the red stripes as optional stickers, as I saw that in an unboxing. 

- I chose that power supply because I figured if I were to add another GPU then I wouldn't have to outright buy another power supply, I also am a big fan of the black sleeved cables that come with the Corsair power supplies, again anything that is either black or blue, goes down well with me!

- This is less of a problem, more of a thank you, I have been driving myself crazy over graphics cards, I had heard of the 900 series, but I had NO idea they were cheaper, I would have kicked myself had I found that out after I'd gone with the 780.

I also am glad to hear about the RAID on the SSD's being useless, means I can spend more on the HDDs... I would ultimately favour something along the lines of a RAID 10 or 1 array for the HDDs, the more data I can keep safe, the better for video editing. Nothing worse than loosing footage when a drive fails, especially during a college project... this HAS happened to me before, wasn't pretty.

Thanks for your help though, I really appreciate it. As I said this is my first build, so I am completely new to the world of PCs. Let alone custom PCs.

EDIT:

Didn't give myself much time to look into the RAM, but G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series comes in black and blue options too, which is great! 

Motherboard: Asus P9X79-E WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard  (Purchased For £269.00) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  (£142.48 @ More Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£69.65 @ CCL Computers) 
Fan Controller: Aerocool Touch 2000 Fan Controller  (£37.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£118.12 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £2334.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-23 00:48 BST+0100

Here we go!

I changed the power source back to the original as it is a good power level for 2 900 series cards if you want to add another in the future. I added a second HDD for running in RAID for safety. I also never said that running SSDs in RAID is useless, I said that SSDs are aslready fast as they are. Running SSDs in Raid can grant you some really fast read and write speed increases by what I hear, but at this point in time it is simply too expensive (in my mind anyways) for many people to go that particular route in order to get a speed boost on something that is already really fast (especially when you can 3TB of HDD storage for less money that 240GB of SSD storage). Oh yeah and I also changed you RAM out for something that offers similar performance, is a lot cheaper (money save can go towards that extra HDD), and it's also Blue. :D

Happy Building!

Alrighty then here's what I'd do in your position ....

Total: £2274.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-22 23:18 BST+0100

I probably would have gone with a different chipset, but seeing as you already bought the motherboard I kept you processor and motherboard the same. I did however, change the case. I know the case you chose may have the physical space to seat the motherboard, that doesn't mean that it has compatible screw mounts.The case I went with was the Antec Nineteen Hundred, it looks great and should be compatible with all of your parts (including your motherboard).

I changed you RAM out for the G.Skill Ripjjaws Z Series, simply because the memory is clocked at a high speed than you current kit and high mhz comes in handy not so much for gaming, but for rendering.

I got rid of you second SSD simply because while SSD's do perform faster in raid, a single SSD is already extremely fast so I don't really recommend adding in another SSD when a BIG part of video editing is storage in general. So I used some of the money saved by getting rid of the second SSD, for adding in a higher capacity and higher speed HDD. I also used the rest of the money saved to get a different case that is compatible with your motherboard.

I changed your video card for what I consider a BIG reason since the 900 series release. The 900 series cards are cheaper, use less power, and simply outperform anything the 700 series has to offer (even the gtx 970 can beat the 780ti in shear performance, plus I think it costs less than on half of the price). So for that reason I went with a GTX 970 from MSI.

For you power supply I went with a lower voltage Silverston 650w 80+ gold simply because after changing out the graphics card you are not going to need as much power (the GTX 900 series uses less than half of the energy required to power the GTX 780, all while outperforming the GTX 780). Plus changing out the power supply saved about 50 bucks.

Anywhoo, those are the changes I have made and what I would suggest for you budget and that chipset. I Hope I Helped

he might not want windows 7 and he can get it cheaper from g2a https://www.g2a.com/

u wot m7+1

Is that even legit?

I've always felt like it's sketchy

i'm pretty sure it is my friend (@alby800) used it to get windows 8.1 for 30$ and I don't think he has had any problems

u wot m7+1

i'm pretty sure it is my friend (@alby800) used it to get windows 8.1 for 30$ and I don't think he has had any problems

I've read mixed reviews about that site. It seems that half of the people that go there get something they can use, while the other half get screwed over with some unusable key. Then when they complain about it, they get terrible customer service and sketchy business practice. I think I also read that Microsoft has said multiple times that they are not a legal retailer for windows (probably the last thing you want to find out about your computer is that you paid 30$ for an illegal windows 8 key). Another thing I read is that they give out keys or Russian or Polish locale, so you'll probably have to change your computer's locale just to use them (which can result in being banned from steam for switching your IPS too much I think). So in the long run the prices look good but I just can't recommend them because their reviews are WAY too checkered. And as far as windows 7 vs windows 8.1, it's basically a preference thing. I do prefer windows 8.1 myself, but some people like to stick with windows 7's old user interface.