Best SSD for gaiming ?

keycolony

So should you.

We already established, that is not the fastest drive around.

Its not cheap (actually its the most expensive consumer sata drive around)

Its power hungry

it doesnt have encryption

So really, what does have going for it apart from intel badge and skull sticker ?

Intel SSDs are widely considered to be the most reliable on the market. They last longer to harsher workloads and environments. I would take that over a 10mb/s speed difference that you see I unrealistic benchmarks

Intel SSDs are widely considered to be the most reliable on the market. They last longer to harsher workloads and environments. I would take that over a 10mb/s speed difference that you see I unrealistic benchmarks

That intel reliability is a myth nowdays, since other drives are just as reliable.

So yeah. forking 2x amout of money for a supposed intel reliability is plain crazy for gamer use. Especially because intel badge on the drive is in no way a warranty, that drive wont go crazy and take all your data with you. It happend before.

Also 850pro will molest any consumer intel drive in "harsh" workload and environment. You just can't beat 3D nand at older litography.

In fact, Samsung said that they have a 128GB 850 Pro in their internal testing with over eight petabytes (that is 8,000TB) of writes and the drive still keeps going, so I tip my hat to the person who is able to wear out an 850 Pro in a client environment during my lifetime.

No consumer intel drive will last that long.PERIOD.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

These conversations shouldn't be about the brand of a drive but the type of nand and controllers they use.  Then maybe people will understand what make one a more intelligent choice above another.

With that in mind the first thing that should be thrown off the table is using ANY 128GB SSD for games because of how the performance falls off a cliff as the drives become populated with more data.  256GB minimum and a 512GB preferably in order to maintain performance. 

After that I'd look at the type of flash and which drives have which controllers and their price.  Just about anything else is cheerleader BS, unless your going for a certain "look" for a build.

Same NAND as in Crucial drives, same controller as in other Sandforce drives. All they really have is a tweaked firmware and a nice sticker.

These conversations shouldn't be about the brand of a drive but the type of nand and controllers they use.  Then maybe people will understand what make one a more intelligent choice above another.

With that in mind the first thing that should be thrown off the table is using ANY 128GB SSD for games because of how the performance falls off a cliff as the drives become populated with more data.  256GB minimum and a 512GB preferably in order to maintain performance. 

After that I'd look at the type of flash and which drives have which controllers and their price.  Just about anything else is cheerleader BS, unless your going for a certain "look" for a build.

Thats complete bullshit. Every decent ssd keeps its performance pretty much at the top, unless its its 99% filled .And even then, usually only write speeds drop, read speeds stay the same (which matters for games).

But yeah, nowdays its worth looking at atleast 256GB, seeing how cheap they are.

Same NAND as in Crucial drives, same controller as in other Sandforce drives. All they really have is a tweaked firmware and a nice sticker.

Yeah and even firmware is not theirs (as they originally claimed) just stock sandforce, tweak a little bit (read: limited, depending on the product line).

Although 730 is a different beast (it uses their enterprise controller) it still features consumer grade MLC (just like Crucial) and not exactly the best speeds around (which makes it kinda pointless, since its soo expensive).

Crucial MX100 series -> cheaper than Samsung, just as good.

And they don't lose read performance over time :lol: :lol: :lol: