Optimal Arc Midi R2 Fan Setup

I was wondering if anyone had the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 and found a good setup for cooling their system.

I have a GIgabyte WIndforce 7950 and a Dark Knight II on my cpu. 

Would anyone know what would be the best fan setup for cooling the graphics card?

Right now I have:

140mm Spectre pro

2x 120mm CM Sickleflows

3x 140mm FD SIlent Series R2  

Should I invest in more fans? I was thinking of getting Gelid Wings 12 PL to add to the system. I do care for a fairly quiet system as well. It would also be great if the system had a neutral - positive airflow to minimize dust. I am open to negative pressure if the cooling is significantly better

The fan positions on the Arc Midi R2 are:

Front: 2x 140mm/120mm 

Top: 3x 140mm or 120mm or 1x 180mm + 140mm/120mm

Rear: 140mm/120mm 

Bottom: 140mm/120mm

Across the vast and majestic gulf of time and space, the jimmies rustle softly.

I have 2 FD Silent R2s (140s) as intakes in the front. 1 FD Silent R2 (140) as exhaust in the back, and an H100 in the top running as exhaust with 2X SP120s.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Yeah, I'm wondering how I want to set-up my fans as well.

I have 2 xigmatek 120mm white led fans, and I was thinking of doing 1 of them as exhaust on the rear and 1 as an intake on the bottom(behind the hdd cage)- this would give a little better lighting to see through the tinted window. Then having 2 of the included 140mm silent r2s in the front as intakes, and one r2 as a top exhaust, and potentially one more 120mm fan as a top exhaust as well.

Put two Sickleflows in front as intake. The Spectre Pro on bottom for intake and the top and rear with FD Silent fans for exhaust to get positive air pressure in your case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would recommend your Setup like this, but Remove the Top Drive Cage:

Grey=Spectre Pro

Yellow=CM Sickleflow

Purple=Fractal Design Silent R2 140mm

Spectre Pro at the Bottom hard drive Cage because it has the Highest Pressure that means it can push most air trough the Hard Drive Cage compared to the Other Fans

R2 fan at the Top Hard drive Cage (but Remove the Hard drive Cage or Rotate it first) so it can Send fresh air to Your Cpu and Graphicscard

CM Sickle Flow at the Bottom because the Motor isn't as loud as it would be in the Front and it brings Fresh air to the Graphicscard while pushing air up from the 2 Front Fans and at the back well to exhaust Hot air and dampen the Noise.

the other 2 R2 Fans at the Top because theyre Quiet and can push a good amount of Air.

This setup would be Optimal, Heres a pic for better Overview that i did Color code:

post-15649-0-63578400-1370133316.png

I would recommend your Setup like this, but Remove the Top Drive Cage:

Grey=Spectre Pro

Yellow=CM Sickleflow

Purple=Fractal Design Silent R2 140mm

Spectre Pro at the Bottom hard drive Cage because it has the Highest Pressure that means it can push most air trough the Hard Drive Cage compared to the Other Fans

R2 fan at the Top Hard drive Cage (but Remove the Hard drive Cage or Rotate it first) so it can Send fresh air to Your Cpu and Graphicscard

CM Sickle Flow at the Bottom because the Motor isn't as loud as it would be in the Front and it brings Fresh air to the Graphicscard while pushing air up from the 2 Front Fans and at the back well to exhaust Hot air and dampen the Noise.

the other 2 R2 Fans at the Top because theyre Quiet and can push a good amount of Air.

This setup would be Optimal, Heres a pic for better Overview that i did Color code:

attachicon.gifArc midi R2 Airflow.PNG

This was very helpful! Thank you very much. I will try this setup and see how it goes. Eventually I will get a second spectre pro for the front so the blue leds will look more even in the front. :)

I have an arc midi R2 

I have the top drive cage removed.  

Right now I have 2 140 enermax duo vegas in the dront.  A 120 something or other (cant remember what it is) in the bottom.  Those are my intake all running at 12v.  

I have 2 silverstone 120s in the top and the stock fractal 140 in the rear those are all running exhaust at 7v  (they are all on the fan switch).  

• 2 weeks later...

So I have my fans set up in my arc midi r2 and the loudest thing i can hear is the cm sickflow on the bottom making a slightly high pitched hum due to the honeycomb shaped metal on the case. I looking to replace it with something that can cool the graphics card much better and be more quiet as well.

Any suggestions for a 120/140mm fan that can do the job? I was thinking an Silverstone AP123 but I am concerned that the cfm may not be high enough to cool the graphics card. Is this true?

I do coin mining so I am looking for the best setup to cool he graphics card at the moment